Non-League: Dudley does damage with double on debut

Guiseley's 5'Ben Parker gets in a cross against Welling United. PIC: Steve Riding
Guiseley's 5'Ben Parker gets in a cross against Welling United. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Guiseley new boy Anthony Dudley did the damage with a fine double as the Lions beat visiting Welling United 2-0 in National League.

Welling were unlucky not to take the lead when Michael Bakare and Barney Williams combined with Rob Atkinson making a good block on the line to deny a certain goal.

But Guiseley then made the ideal start when Dudley, who only joined on loan from Bury on the Friday, scored on his debut with a smart finish after being found in the area by Ryan Toulson.

The hosts nearly doubled their lead when Adam Boyes produced a quick turn and shot but Welling keeper Tom King was able to save.

Welling then played themselves into a good position with the dangerous Bakare being found in the area but his shot lacked any real power and didn’t cause the problem it could have done.

But just before half-time Dudley did it again as he connected to a Gavin Rothery pass before slotting home his second to put the Lions 17th and a place above Welling. FC Halifax Town, meanwhile, were condemned to a fourth consecutive league defeat at seventh-placed Eastleigh who came from a goal behind to claim a narrow 2-1 victory from a close-run encounter.

The Shaymen took the lead as Kieran Sadlier and Jordan Burrow combined well to tee up Sam Walker who saw his effort parried but Kingsley James was the quickest to react and buried home his fourth of the season.

But after Andy Drury levelled, Josh Payne bundled home what proved to be the winner as a cross from the left wasn’t dealt with and Payne got the slightest of touches to force the ball into the goal.

Halifax now sit bottom of the table.

In National League North, a superb second half strike from Brendan Daniels gave ten-man Harrogate Town a 1-0 victory at home to fourth-bottom Worcester City to keep the Yorkshire side fourth,

Lloyd Kerry and Luke Shiels went close for Town in the early stages but Worcester squandered a chance to take the lead when Sean Geddes saw his penalty well saved by Peter Crook.

Two minutes after the break, Dominic Knowles squared the ball to Daniels and he lashed a 25-yard drive past Ethan Ross.

Town’s Andy McWilliams was dismissed for two bookable offences with half an hour left to play.

Bradford Park Avenue rose to 14th with a 3-0 win at home to third-bottom Lowestoft Town thanks to two Richard Marshall penalties plus a Chib Chilaka strike.

Ryan Jarvis was sent off for Lowestoft when they were 1-0 down.

Evo-Stik League

A LATE brace from Danny Critchlow inspired Hemsworth Miners Welfare to a 3-2 success at home to West Auckland Town in the first round of the FA Vase.

Ian Maddison gave the visitors a ninth-minute lead but Bill Law levelled just two minutes later with Critchlow then netting after 75 and 80 minutes. Jack Proctor set up a grandstand finish with his goal two minutes later but Hemsworth held on to book their place in the second round.

Garforth Town also progressed as a 46th-minute Luke Mangham strike gave them a 1-0 triumph at home to Hebburn Town.

But Selby Town exited the competition after a 2-1 loss at home to Hallam, who were 2-0 up at half-time before Chris Jackson netted one minute after the hour.

In the NCE Premier, second-placed Tadcaster Albion were denied the victory they needed to take top spot after being held to a thrilling 4-4 draw with visiting Albion Sports.

George Conway bagged a hat-trick for the Brewers whose Josh Greening also netted but Albion fought back from being 4-2 down to nab a draw as Marcus Edwards and Alex Cusack both hit doubles.

Liversedge, though, moved four points clear of the dropzone with a 4-3 victory at home to Barton Town Old Boys. Sedge’s Brandon Kane, Vaughan Redford, Kenny Tafireyi and Craig Tonkinson all bagged one each.

Nostell Miners Welfare were also 3-1 victors at Brigg Town thanks to a Fidel Mhlolo double and Ryan Donoghue strike while a Mike Garrod brace gave Thackley a 2-0 triumph at Parkgate. Aaron Moxam hit a brilliant hat-trick as Pontefract Collieries sank visiting Rainworth Miners Welfare 3-1 while a Sam Calvert strike gave Pickering Town a 1-0 verdict at Bridlington Town.

In Division One, AFC Emley pummelled visiting Lincoln Moorlands Railway 11-1, led by a hat-trick from Ashley Flynn.

Six different scorers helped Eccleshill United to a 6-2 cruise at home to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic while Yorkshire Amateur were 2-1 winners at home to Penistone Church. Glasshoughton Welfare, though, were felled 3-1 at AFC Mansfield.

NCE League

FARSLEY CELTIC endured late agony in the FA Trophy qualifying round as an 88th-minute winner gave hosts Shaw Lane Aquaforce a last-gasp 4-3 victory.

Farsley led three times through a Robert O’Brien double and Aiden Savory strike but 3-2 became 3-3 when Lee Morris netted after 75 minutes. Morris then bagged his second just two minutes from time.

Frickley Athletic also exited the competition through a 2-1 loss at Buxton who led after 10 minutes through Bradley Barraclough.

Luke Hinsley equalised for Frickley 20 minutes later but the strike of Alex Wiles one minute before the hour proved to be the game’s winner.

Brighouse Town were beaten 2-0 at Warrington Town who led after 20 minutes through James McCarten and then doubled their lead 14 minutes later through Ciaran Kilheeney.

And Goole AFC tumbled out 6-3 at Spennymoor Town despite getting on the scoresheet through Alex Varley, Anthony Mackie and a Bobby Johnson penalty.

Whitby Town were the only Yorkshire side to progress on Saturday with a 3-0 win at Workington thanks to a goal each from Matthew Waters, Lee Mason and Ryan Brobbel.

Stocksbridge Park Steels also went through yesterday with a 2-1 win at Northwich Victoria.

In the EvoStik League, Ossett Albion left Bamber Bridge with nothing after a 2-0 defeat in First Division North.

Darren Green opened the scoring after 11 minutes with Nicholas Platt adding a second 17 minutes later.

Harrogate Railway were also blitzed 3-0 at Clitheroe who went 1-0 up after 11 minutes courtesy of a Scott Bakkor strike. Scott Gonzales then netted a second half brace, after 68 and 90 minutes.

Scarborough Athletic, meanwhile, took a goalless draw from their clash at Glossop North end.