Non-League: Brooksby brace not enough to save Lions

Wayne Brooksby
Wayne Brooksby
Have your say

BARROW continued their recent hoodoo over Guiseley with a 3-2 victory that pushed them four points clear at the top of Conference North.

The second-placed home side were looking for revenge after losing to Barrow just a few weeks ago but a six-minute spell towards the end of the first half saw Guiseley go in at half-time 3-0 down.

The opening 30 minutes were an even affair, but Barrow’s first goal came in the 37th minute with Anthony Wilson seeing his effort deflected which left goalkeeper Steve Drench with no chance. The home side then saw a cross go into the area and Alex Ray-Harvey was on hand to make it 2-0 to Barrow.

And things went from bad to worse when, on the stroke of half-time, Dan Pilkington was found in the area and placed the ball into the net.

Guiseley were unlucky to be so far behind but they started a comeback attempt in the second-half when Wayne Brooksby was able to curl in a shot after Oli Johnson’s cut back.

Johnson was then unlucky not to get a goal himself when his shot-cum- cross hit the crossbar.

Brooksby then got his second of the game when his free-kick took a big deflection and went in.

With 10 minutes to go, Barrow found themselves a man down when Jamie Crowther was sent off for a second bookable offence.

And Guiseley were unlucky not to grab an equaliser after a number of other efforts were well saved by Barrow’s keeper Tony Mcmillan.

Despite the loss Guiseley stay second in the table and the Lions will be looking to bounce back during next Saturday’s FA Trophy hosting of Rushall Olympic.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower insisted: “I thought in the first-half we played some decent stuff. They had a good 10 minutes, but we have played really well throughout the game.

“I feel sick that we haven’t been able to gain a point, but I am also really proud of the lads’ performance.”

Harrogate Town also endured an afternoon to forget as they lost 3-0 at home to a Worcester City side up to 10th.

Town now sit 13th after being undone by three second-half goals including two fine strikes by Daniel Nti and Sean Geddes before a calamitous second for Nti.

Town boss Simon Weaver reasoned: “They scored two spectacular efforts from outside the box. If they were on Match of the Day, you would say ‘that’s why they’re in the Premier League’.

“Sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say, that was a really good goal and they scored two really good goals.”

Town return to action tomorrow evening at 12th-placed Colwyn Bay.

Bradford Park Avenue dropped to 19th with a 2-1 loss at Brackley Town who moved above Avenue into 17th.

Brackley took an 11th-minute through Ebby Nelson-Addy and the home side doubled their advantage with 10 minutes remaining through Will Green.

Avenue hit back seven minutes later through Joe Colbeck but the damage had been done.

Avenue return to action on Saturday in the FA Trophy at home to Leamington.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town’s poor run continued with a 2-1 loss at fifth-bottom Welling United in Vanarama Conference.

Aristide Bassele’s scrambled finish from a corner put hosts ahead but Halifax’s Lois Maynard then equalised. But Charlie Penny netted what proved the winner for Welling before Halifax’s Matty Pearson received a straight red card for violent conduct.

Halifax have now slipped to 11th with the Shaymen back in action next Saturday at home to third-bottom Alfreton Town.


GIBRALTAR international Adam Priestley struck a brilliant hat-trick to guide Farsley AFC to a 3-1 success at Burscough in First Division North.

Fresh from representing his country in a Euro 2016 qualifier against Germany, Priestley struck after three, 44 and 68 minutes to see Farsley up to fifth. Liam Caddick netted for the hosts after 65 minutes when they were 2-0 down.

Nathan Cartman was also in blistering form for Harrogate Railway as his treble inspired a 4-0 victory at home to Ossett Town. Cartman’s goals came after three, 64 and 74 minutes and were followed by a Fatlum Ibrahimi strike six minutes from time.

There was drama at Ossett Albion who sealed a 3-2 win at home to Kendal Town. Strikes from Conor McDonagh, Connor Bower and Ross Hardaker sealed a fine win for Albion who had trailed 1-0 to Craig Carney’s fifth-minute opener. Kendal then added a second through Nicholas Rogan amidst ten nervy minutes of injury time.

Brighouse Town also enjoyed a fine afternoon with a 3-1 win at home to Padiham, achieved through strikes from Thomas Matthews, Ryan Hall and Ernest Boafo. Louis Mayers had levelled matters for Padiham after 29 minutes.

Scarborough Athletic’s hosting of Bamber Bridge was abandoned due to a serious-looking injury to Athletic captain Chris Bolder. Early indications are that Bolder has suffered a dislocated knee.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic savoured a 1-0 triumph at home to Marine. Bradley Riley hit a 73rd-minute winner.

But Whitby Town were undone 1-0 at Barwell for whom Alex Tomkinson bagged the only goal of the game after just nine minutes.

In First Division South, Goole AFC took a goalless draw from their trip to Romulus.


LIAM Ormsby’s last-minute penalty gave thriving Tadcaster Albion a 2-1 victory at home to Morpeth Town in the second round of the FA Vase amidst a huge sense of deja vu.

Just seven days earlier, Ormsby’s last-minute spot kick had sealed a 2-1 success against Albion Sports to keep the Brewers nine points clear at the top of the NCE Premier.

And Ormsby was again the hero one week later, the midfielder having given Albion a 39th-minute lead before Jordan Fry levelled five minutes after the hour. Albion will now await news of today’s third-round draw.

In the league, Pickering Town enjoyed a 4-0 success at home to Liversedge in the NCE Premier. A Joe Danby brace was supported by a goal each from Chris Batchelor and Joel Ramm.

Redmond Lee’s 76th-minute leveller gave Thackley a 1-1 draw at home to Retford United who led through Josh Batty while Bridlington Town sealed a 1-0 success at Glasshoughton Welfare through Tom Fleming’s 80th-minute winner.

But Garforth Town were felled 4-2 at Maltby Main who struck twice in the final 14 minutes. Goals from Danny Harris and Luke Mangham had Garforth heading for a draw.

In Division One, leaders AFC Emley’s colours were lowered 2-1 by visiting Worsborough Bridge Athletic. Doran Jordan gave Emley a fifth-minute lead but second-half strikes from Brad Kerr and Josh Evans sealed an upset.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare moved third with a 3-1 triumph at home to Hall Road Rangers. Nicholas Guest was at the double for the hosts whose Dominic Blair also netted.

A Craig Heard treble inspired Yorkshire Amateur to a 4-2 win at home to Hallam. Thomas Rose also netted for Ammers who were 4-0 up until late goals from Hallam’s Brandon Wilde and Matt Parks.

Knaresborough Town overcame visiting Eccleshill United 2-1 with strikes from Colin Heath and Ben Parkes. Doug Stevenson hit a late consolation for Eccleshill. Goals from Matty Start and Chris Jackson gave Selby Town a 2-2 draw at Grimsby Borough.

Guiseley loan striker, James Roberts.

Non-League: Lions renegotiate loan deal to keep striker Roberts to end of season