More agony for Guiseley as Fylde grab late winner

Danny Rowe.
Danny Rowe.
Have your say

Guiseley conceded in the 89th minute to slip to a 2-1 defeat at AFC Fylde which leaves them nine points from safety in the National League.

A Danny Rowe free-kick earned the hosts the win, a defeat that leaves Guiseley with it all to do.

Guiseley manager Paul Cox.

Guiseley manager Paul Cox.

Guiseley’s new signing Dayle Southwell started and from the off was nearly put through by Rowan Liburd, but it was well defended.

Fylde headed into this match unbeaten in four games and nearly scored when Francis-Angol was put through on goal but Guiseley keeper Joe Green made a smart save.

The hosts took the lead when a ball over the top found Jonny Smith, he was given too much time and space and made no mistake.

Guiseley’s Alex Purver and Alex-Ray Harvey were impressing in midfield but it was another midfielder in Liam Hughes who put in a perfect cross for James Roberts who could not miss and headed in to equalise for the Lions.

Liburd was put through on goal and looked set to score but Fylde keeper Lynch somehow got his body in the way. The home side broke away from that attack and Danny Rowe so nearly scored when his effort was blocked by three Guiseley defenders who put their bodies on the line.

The Lions looked set to pick up a draw until Fylde’s main striker Rowe converted a free-kick from 25 yards.

Southwell had the last chance with his effort from just inside the area but it was well saved and the final whistle soon came.

Guiseley manager Paul Cox said after the defeat: “I feel for the players today, you could see the effort there by all the players, they had chances so did we and they’ve won it so late.”

York City are back in the National League North play-off positions for the first time in two months at the expense of neighbours Bradford Park Avenue.

Jon Parkin’s 25th goal of the season and a second-half effort from substitute Amari Morgan-Smith put the hosts in the ascendancy against Avenue, meaning Adam Boyes’ stoppage-time reply against his former club was a mere consolation for the visitors. The 2-1 defeat also represented a first league away loss for Mark Bower’s men in six road trip.

Joe Leesley, meanwhile, smashed in a 93rd-minute equaliser to keep Harrogate Town in the FA Trophy and force a second-round replay against St Albans at Wetherby Road tomorrow night.

The Harrogate attacker levelled with almost the last kick of the game in Hertfordshire after being teed up by Dom Knowles.

St Albans had earlier forged in front midway through the second period when Tom Bender headed in a corner.

FC Halifax Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy after crashing to a 4-1 defeat to Maidenhead at The Shay.

Matty Kosylo scored for the second game running inside the first minute, but a brace from Moses Emmanuel and another two from Harry Pritchard sealed Town’s exit.


Farsley CELTIC’S never-say-die attitude was on show once again as they fought back from two goals down against Grantham Town to earn a 2-2 draw in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

The Celts were once again made to pay for a slow start as they conceded inside the first five minutes for the seventh time this season, Curtis Burrows firing home from inside the box.

When Jordan Hempenstall tapped home to double Grantham’s lead following some good work down the left flank by Lee Shaw, it looked like being a long day for Farsley with the hosts carving open the Celts defence at will.

Danny Ellis, starting this game as a striker for the first time in his career, gave Farsley hope as he tapped home following Lewis Turner’s brilliant run and cross.

Farsley then levelled through Adam Clayton, as Paul Walker worked the ball into the area, and after a goalmouth scramble, Clayton managed to bundle the ball into the back of the net.

With time running out Farsley came close as Kieran Preston made an outstanding save from point-blank range to deny Danny Ellis. From the resulting corner Clayton’s header thumped against the crossbar, and both sides were forced to settle for a share of the spoils.

Frickley Athletic moved up to third in Division 1 South, fighting back from a goal down to defeat Stamford 4-2. Bradley Fortnam-Tomlinson gave the hosts the lead, before Jacob Hazel and Gavin Allott hit braces for Frickley to secure the three points, despite Jake Duffy levelling for Stamford at 2-2.

In Division 1 North, Ossett Albion blew a 3-1 lead as they were forced to settle for a 3-3 draw with Droylsden. Aiden Chippendale hit a brace for Ossett with Adam Priestley also on target, whilst a Sefton Gonzales brace and Dom Smith goal earned Droylsden a point.

Goals from Peter Davidson, Andrew Milne and Joseph Pugh helped Tadcaster Albion to a 3-1 win over Skelmersdale United, who scored through Josh Wardle.

A late Adam Field goal earned Brighouse an excellent point at home to Hyde, whilst Ossett Town lost their fourth consecutive game, losing 3-2 away to Bamber Bridge.


A 90th-minute goal from Billy Logan earned Pickering Town all three points in a 3-2 victory over Yorkshire rivals Pontefract Collieries in the NCE Premier Division on Saturday.

Eli Hey gave Pontefract a 14th-minute lead before Bradley Freer brought the hosts level.

Kane Reece then netted to give Pontefract the lead once more on the hour mark but George Bissett equalised with nine minutes to go before Logan’s late intervention.

Pickering are now three points ahead of Pontefract in third place but the West Yorkshire side do have four games in hand on their rivals.

Sixth-placed Hemsworth MW suffered a setback when they lost 2-1 at Barton Town.

Bradley Dockerty netted Hemsworth’s goal in the 80th minute but it proved to be only a consolation.

Garforth Town moved up to 12th place with a convincing 4-0 victory at Clipstone. Callum Ward bagged a brace for Garforth with Mitchell Hamilton also netting, with an own goal also coming from Charlie Taylor.

Elsewhere in the top division, Liversedge lost 3-1 at home to Rainworth Miners Welfare while Harrogate Railway were 4-3 victors over Thackley.

A brace from Jamie Bairstow, a Shane Hamilton goal and Lincoln Adams’ 90th-minute penalty won the game for Railway.

In Division One, Knaresborough Town maintained their one-point lead over Eccleshill United at the top thanks to a 3-0 victory at Worsbrough. Brad Walker, Robert Youhill, and Ben Cohen netted the goals for Town.

Third-from-bottom Nostell MW enjoyed a memorable 2-1 victory over fourth-placed Yorkshire Amateur. Nostell’s goals came from Jack Owen and Liam Owen while Ashley Flynn netted for Amateur.

Elsewhere, Selby Town defeated Hallam 2-1, a brace from Robert Oldham saw Glasshoughton Welfare win 3-0 at Armthorpe and AFC Emley defeated Dronfield Town 2-1.

Harrogate Town celebrate their promotion to the National League last season.

Guiseley head to Boston on opening day while Harrogate Town host Sutton