Lockwood’s Lions make it two wins out of two

Guiseley's Jake Cassidy is challenged by Ryan Higgins.
Guiseley's Jake Cassidy is challenged by Ryan Higgins.
Have your say

In a battle of the two teams who started the day in the bottom two of the National League, the hosts Guiseley picked up three valuable points, beating Southport 2-1.

Goals from new boy Jake Cassidy and Michael Rankine proved the difference with the away side scoring through Jamie Allen in between.

Guiseley's Jermaine Hylton is challenged by Ross White.

Guiseley's Jermaine Hylton is challenged by Ross White.

Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood was delighted with his side’s second victory inside four days. He said: “This builds our momentum, it was a good performance, we deserved the win.”

“I’ve told the lads, this victory means more to me then the win over York, I’m delighted with the work ethic. We have to take all the pluses out of it and we will do, the substitutes made a difference. it was a pleasing day for me.”

Guiseley nearly scored just minutes into the match when ex-Wolves and Oldham striker Cassidy hit the post on the angle.

Southport started the match well and nearly scored when Ryan Higgins saw his effort deflect off Danny Lowe and hit the crossbar before Guiseley keeper Jonny Maxted was called into action when Andrai Jones’ header was clawed away from goal.

The deadlock was broken early in the second half when Jermaine Hylton – another recent signing for the hosts on loan from Swindon – found Cassidy who fired an effort into the corner of the net.

There was almost an equaliser for Southport soon after, when a Josh Thompson cross into a crowded penalty area took a deflection towards goal and was hooked off the line by Jake Lawlor.

The hosts may have been lucky then but Steve Burr’s side were soon level, a corner was not cleared and eventually fell to Jamie Allen who produced a low shot past a host of players, just passing Maxted who almost saved it.

But Guiseley got the crucial winning goal through Rankine who had been on the pitch for a minute and he powered his header home after a great cross by fellow substitute Adam Boyes.

Guiseley’s lead could have been extended with just moments to go when Rankine saw a penalty saved after Will Hatfield had been brought down, but it was Guiseley who moved off the bottom of the table after picking up back-to-back wins.

Second-placed Harrogate Town slipped four points behind Conference North leaders AFC Fylde after they lost 1-0 at fourth-placed Chorley.

The winning goal was scored from the penalty spot by Adam Blakeman after Luke Shiels brought down Jason Walker in the box – a challenge that earned the Town player a straight red card.

Goals from Alex Simmonds and Liam King via the penalty spot made it five wins in six games for FC Halifax Town who triumphed 2-0 at Gloucester City. The victory moves Town up to sixth place in the table and a point off the play-off zone.

Boss Billy Heath said: “I thought today was an excellent away performance.

“If you were to write a script out of how you would ideally like to see an away game pan out, then that’s how I would see it going down.”

Bottom-of-the-table Bradford PA drew 1-1 with fellow strugglers AFC Telford.

Chris Sharp gave Park Avenue the lead when he scored from a tight angle in the 53rd minute, but Telford hit back almost immediately when Ben Bailey headed home after the restart.


FARSLEY CELTIC progressed through to the first round qualifying stage of the FA Trophy with an impressive 3-1 victory at Radcliffe Borough on Saturday.

Alexander Davidson gave Celtic the lead on 57 minutes only for Jacques Kpohomouh to equalise two minutes later.

Further goals from Davidson and Richard Marshall ensured Celtic were victorious.

Late goals from Derry Robson and Bobby Johnson earned Goole AFC a 2-1 victory at Belper Town.

A stoppage-time equaliser from Danny South earned Ossett Albion a 1-1 draw at Prescot Cables.

The replay will take place at Albion tomorrow evening at 7.45pm.

Neighbours Ossett Town bowed out of the competition as they lost 1-0 at home to Bamber Bridge.

The only goal of the game came from Stuart Vasey just before half-time.

Brighouse Town were beaten 5-2 at Witton Albion. Town’s goals came from Ruben Jerome and Ben Atkinson.

Tadcaster Albion went down 2-0 at Glossop North End while Scarborough Athletic lost by the same score at Shaw Lane AFC.

In the Evo-Stik League Premier Division, Frickley Athletic lost 3-1 at fellow strugglers Sutton Coldfield Town. Luke Mangham netted Frickley’s goal.

Third-placed Whitby Town suffered a 3-0 defeat at Buxton.


A HAT-TRICK from Joe Walton helped Northern Counties East League Premier Division leaders Liversedge crush Garforth Town 6-0 and secure an eighth-straight victory.

Also in the goals for Liversedge were Stephen Wales, Harrison Blakeley and Jansiah Donaldson.

Fourth-placed Pickering Town picked up their eighth victory of the season in a 3-0 success at Bottesford Town.

The Pickering goals came from Niall Tilsley, Ryan Cooper and Lewis Taylor.

Curtis Woodhouse’s Bridlington Town enjoyed a 2-1 home victory over Staveley Miners Welfare.

Jack Walters gave Town a seventh-minute lead, only for Kieran Watson to equalise from the penalty spot before half-time, but Brett Agnew netted the winning goal with 20 minutes left.

Struggling Harrogate Railway claimed an important 2-1 victory over basement-side Parkgate.

After going behind inside the first minute to a James Handley goal, Railway turned the game around thanks to goals from Mike Morris and Paul Beesley.

In Division One, second-placed Pontefract Collieries closed in on leaders Penistone Church with a 4-2 home win over Dronfield Town.

Second-half braces from Christopher Wood and Michael Dunn ensured the points went to Pontefract.

Knaresborough Town suffered a setback with a 1-0 defeat at Eccleshill United while 10th-placed Selby Town played out a goalless draw at Hallam.

AFC Emley are just outside the play-off places following their 3-1 victory at home to Yorkshire Amateur on Saturday. Samuel Jerome gave Emley a 13th-minute lead which was soon cancelled out by Adam Shaw’s 20th-minute goal.

However, second-half goals from Ashley Flynn and Kieran Ryan saw Emley through to victory.

Mid-table Glasshoughton Welfare were defeated 2-0 at Winterton Rangers.

Four goals by Joe McFadyen condemned basement-side Nostell Miners Welfare to a 10th league defeat of the season. Jonathan Irving’s 53rd-minute goal had got Nostell back into the game at 1-1 before McFadyen took centre-stage in the closing stages.