Lockwood’s delight as Guiseley claim first away win

Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood.
Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood.
Have your say

Guiseley progressed to the second round of the FA Trophy with a hard-fought 1-0 victory at Chorley.

Guiseley’s last trip to Victory Park saw them come from 2-0 down to win 3-2 which saw them gain promotion to the top tier of non-league football and while this win was not as dramatic, it was certainly significant as it was their first win away in any competition this season.

Speaking after the game, Guiseley boss Adam Lockwood said: “I’m pleased with the win, it is a hard place to come to, it was a big test and the lads deserve a lot of credit, I made changes that I said wouldn’t weaken the side and it has come to fruition.”

The away side took the lead from a corner as striker Michael Rankine made no mistake with a powerful header into the back of the net.

Chorley had a good chance to level before the break when Jason Walker placed an effort towards the top corner following good combination play, however Guiseley keeper Jonny Maxted was well-placed and tipped it over.

Guiseley should have doubled their lead just after the break when Jordan Preston saw his shot excellently tipped onto the crossbar by the hosts stopper Shaun Rowley.

The home team then were left to rue a missed chance after Scott Leather was well-placed but his shot was fired over the bar and was a let off for the National League side.

The final big opportunity for Chorley was once again denied by Maxted with Walker’s over-head kick somehow being kept out.

The hosts then had Stephen Jordan red carded by the referee late on and Guiseley were able to see the game out.

Elsewhere, Farsley Celtic’s impressive run in the FA Trophy came to end when they were beaten 4-0 at home by National League side Southport.

Southport took an early lead as a long throw was flicked on and then headed home by Jack Higgins.

Graeme McKibbin then made two fine saves to keep Farsley in the game, first saving Liam Nolan’s effort before Neil Ashton’s cross was turned goalwards by Farsley captain Paddy Miller which McKibbin pushed wide.

Jamie Allen came inches away from adding to the score as he superbly cut inside before unleashing a fearsome strike against the upright.

Jordan Lussey doubled the lead for Southport as he stole the ball off Aaron Hardy and curled a shot inside the far post.

Moments later it was three. Allen appeared to go down softly in the box under a challenge from Paddy Miller.

Allen dusted himself down and stepped up to convert the penalty.

Farsley started the second half brighter and were almost given a lifeline as a superb ball by Paul Walker put James Walshaw through on goal but his shot was saved by Magnus Norman and Richard Marshall put the rebound wide.

Substitute James Caton capped a fine afternoon for Southport by netting the fourth goal. He was played in by Declan Weeks and coolly slotted the ball past McKibbin.

Harrogate Town will travel to Barrow tomorrow night for a FA Trophy first round replay after they drew 3-3 with their Cumbrian opponents.

Town endured a disastrous start when they went 2-0 down in eight minutes thanks to goals from Jordan Williams and Ritchie Bennett.

Town captain Simon Ainge pulled a goal back before Joe Leesley found the equaliser moments before the break.

JP Pittman completed the turn-around in the 61st minute as the striker followed up his own saved penalty to put Town into the lead.

But with Town down to 10 men following a straight red card to Lewis Turner in the 77th minute, Barrow threw everything at their opponents and found the goal that kept their streak alive through Bennett in the 88th minute.


FRICKLEY ATHLETIC eased their relegation fears with an impressive 4-0 victory over Ilkeston in the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

Curtley Martin-Wyatt was the star of the show netting a hat-trick for the hosts while Rhys Meynell scored the other goal.

Ossett Town kept pace with Lancaster City at the top of First Division North with a 1-0 victory at Burscough.

Jake Ellam netted the winner in the 26th minutes for Town who are kept off the top spot only by goal difference.

Leaders Lancaster enjoyed a 2-1 victory at Tadcaster Albion, whose poor run of results continued.

Tom Corner gave the home side the lead in stoppage time at the end of the first half, scoring his 10th goal of the season.

The celebrations were short lived though as Lancaster replied a matter of seconds later through Ryan Winder. Jacob Bradley’s strike six minutes into the second half then turned out to be the winner for Lancaster.

Eighth-placed Brighouse Town drew 1-1 at fourth-placed Trafford. Leon Osbourne scored Town’s goal in the opening minute but the hosts grabbed an equaliser before half-time through Aaron Burns.

Two goals from Robert Bordman saw Ossett Albion to a 2-1 home victory over Glossop North End. Bordman opened the scoring after six minutes only for a Ross Hardaker own goal to level matters on 51 minutes. But Bordman was not to be denied and he netted the winner shortly after.


TWO FIRST-HALF goals from Joe Walton helped Liversedge claim a 3-1 victory over Maltby Main in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division on Saturday.

Rhys Davies netted the other goal for Liversedge who moved up to sixth place in the table.

Fifth-placed Pickering Town were held to a 2-2 draw by Staveley Miners Welfare.

Lewis Taylor gave Town the lead on 13 minutes before goals from Charlie Oglesby and Callum Mawbey put the visitors into the lead.

However Eddy Birch’s goal 15 minutes from time ensured Town earned a share of the spoils.

Eighth-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare suffered a shock 6-3 home defeat to basement side Barton Town Old Boys.

Jonathan O’Callaghan was the main man for Barton netting a second-half hat-trick while Luke Danville, Adam Wilson and Richard Collier scored for Hemsworth.

Twelfth-placed Garforth Town suffered a 4-1 home defeat against Worksop Town.

Mark Simpson scored Town’s consolation goal with six minutes left on the clock.

Harrogate Railway had an afternoon to forget as they were hammered 7-1 at fourth-placed Handsworth Parramore.

Both Aaron Moxam and Jon Froggatt plundered hat-tricks for the hosts while Paul Beesley netted Railway’s only goal.

Division One leaders AFC Emley claimed their ninth straight victory and fourth straight clean sheet in their 2-0 victory at Ollerton Town.

Ashley Flynn was on the scoresheet yet again, bagging a brace for Emley.

Third-placed Pontefract Collieries also enjoyed success on their travels, winning 3-1 at Glasshoughton Welfare.

Ashley Scothern gave the hosts a sixth-minute lead before goals from Christopher Wood, Spencer Clarke and Jordan Turner won the game for Pontefract.

Selby Town hit back to claim a 2-2 draw with Brigg Town.

Converted penalties by Scott Jones and Liam Flanagan sealed a share of the points for Selby.

Nostell Miners Welfare were beaten 4-2 at Eccleshill United. Callum Charlton and Connor Prestley netted for Nostell.

Elsewhere, Yorkshire Amateur lost 5-1 at home to Campion and Knaresborough Town were held to a goalless draw by Rossington Main.