Lions slip out of play-off spots after loss

Liam Dickinson
Liam Dickinson
Have your say

GUISELEY slumped to sixth and outside the Vanarama North play-off places as a 2-0 win for Hednesford Town moved the visitors up to fourth.

Hednesford used Ben Bailey’s long throw-ins to cause havoc in the Guiseley area.

The biggest chance fell to Marvin Robinson who rose well and aimed his header towards the corner of the goal, only for ’keeper Steve Drench to throw his body in the way and turn the ball away from goal.

But it was soon 1-0 to Hednesford when an in-swinging free-kick by Glenn Walker was headed into his own net by new signing Liam Dickinson.

Guiseley put in an improved second-half performance, which included a Wayne Brooksby pass across goal which nearly went in and an Adam Boyes chance.

But the visitors made sure of the points when striker Steve Diggin held the ball up and fed to Adam Thomas who aimed a shot into the top corner.

In added time, it looked like the Lions were to get a consolation goal when Danny Lowe’s cross fell to Ryan Toulson.

On the half-volley, he fired an effort towards the top right corner but his well struck effort was saved brilliantly by goalkeeper Dan Crane.

That ended a frustrating game for Guiseley which saw them end the evening outside of the play-off places on goal difference.

The defeat followed last Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss at second-placed AFC Fylde and Lions manager Mark Bower said: “After the result against AFC Fylde it is a real shame that this game has ended the way it did. We just never got going.”

The Lions return to action next Saturday at home to fifth-placed Boston United.

Harrogate Town succeeded where Guiseley failed on Saturday with an impressive 2-1 victory at AFC Fylde.

Town took the lead after 16 minutes when Andy Gascoigne volleyed Ryan Fallowfield’s defence splitting pass into the far corner.

Then, on the half hour, Paul Clayton’s lob deceived keeper Ben Hinchliffe to make it two.

With eleven minutes left, Fylde sub Danny Rowe pulled one back from close range, but Town held firm to move 13th.

Town welcome seventh-placed Chorley next Saturday.

Bradford Park Avenue remain second-bottom after a 5-0 hammering at Boston. Avenue host eighth-placed Stockport on Wednesday evening.

In the Conference, play-off chasing FC Halifax Town moved seventh with a 3-2 win at home to mid-table Dover achieved through strikes from Lois Maynard, Richard Peniket and Jamie Jackson.

The Shaymen welcome another mid-table team in Braintree next Saturday.


DENNY Ingram’s 91st-minute net-buster rescued NCE Premier leaders Tadcaster Albion in Saturday’s 3-3 draw at home to Handsworth Parramore.

Eighth-placed Handsworth raced into a 2-0 lead through goals from Bruno Holden and Luke Fletcher before George Bissett hit back for Albion two minutes after the hour.

Sam Smith’s strike restored the away side’s two-goal cushion but Tad’s Josh Greening struck four minutes later before Ingram pounced late.

Elsewhere, Nostell Miners Welfare moved out of the bottom two with a 6-1 thumping of visiting Garforth Town. Rob Bordman’s treble was supported by goals from Dave Bordman, Tony Doran and Stephen Wales as CJ Lyle consoled Garforth.

Thackley obliged 3-1 at Pickering Town through a Mike Garrod brace and Doug Stevenson strike with Wayne Aziz on target for the hosts.

But goals from Richard Dawley and Nathan Perks failed to save Glasshoughton Welfare from a 4-2 loss at Athersley Recreation while rivals Liversedge lost 3-1 at Bridlington Town despite netting through Marco Lopez.


AFC EMLEY signalled their NCE League Division One title intent with Saturday’s 8-0 hammering of visiting Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Ashley Flynn notched a 10-minute hat-trick for the leaders who also had Michael Tunnacliffe and Reuben Jerome at the double after Max Leonard’s third-minute opener.

Emley stay one point above second-placed Pontefract Collieries who have a game in hand and who saw off visiting Teversal 4-0 on Saturday.

Ponte’s Liam Radford, Andrew Catton, Aaron Moxam and Philip Lindley all netted a goal each.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare dropped to fourth after being held to a goalless draw at home to Bottesford Town.

AFC Mansfield are third after defeating visiting Yorkshire Amateur 3-0.

Selby Town enjoyed a 1-0 win at Hall Road Rangers thanks to Tom Chamberlain’s 27th-minute winner while Liam Gray bagged the only goal a minute before the interval as Knaresborough Town beat visiting Grimsby Borough 1-0.

Eccleshill United drew 1-1 at Worsbrough Bridge Athletic.


A DISASTROUS start cost Frickley Athletic dear in Saturday’s 1-0 loss at second-placed Ilkeston in the EvoStik League Premier Division.

James Reid struck after just three minutes for the hosts for the only goal of the game,

Whitby Town drew a 3-3 thriller at home to Belper Town thanks to goals from Robert Nolan, James Brown and Steven Snaith.

In First Division South, Goole AFC lost 2-1 at Stocksbridge Park Steels despite netting through Derry Robson.


OSSETT Town moved 12 points clear of the EvoStik League’s First Division North bottom two by edging a 3-2 success at home to Brighouse Town.

Thomas Matthews twice gave Brighouse the lead but Town hit back through Nathan Curtis and Grant Allott before Daniel Cunningham notched a 78th-minute winner.

Farsley AFC’s play-off hopes suffered a blow in a 2-1 loss at mid-table Warrington Town. The hosts raced into a 2-0 lead inside 19 minutes through Thomas Hardwick and Scott Metcalfe and Michael Aspin’s effort on the hour proved too little too late.

Harrogate Railway were also blitzed 5-1 by leaders Darlington 1883 at Station View. Fatlum Ibrahimi hit Rail’s consolation a minute from time.

Sixth-bottom Ossett Albion lost out 1-0 at Mossley whose Joshua Granite struck but fourth-placed Scarborough Athletic won 2-1 at Droylsden with goals from James Beadle and Thomas Corner.