Lions again make their point after trip south

Guiseley's Liam Dickinson
Guiseley's Liam Dickinson
Have your say

Guiseley completed another long journey with a point after drawing 0-0 at Dover Athletic on Saturday in National League North.

Two weeks on from the 1-1 draw at Torquay United, the Yorkshire side made another gruelling trip down south and it was the hosts who started the brighter.

First Liam Bellamy fired a shot just wide with Duane Ofori-Acheampong then finding the side netting after working his way into a shooting position.

But Guiseley started to create chances of their own with Liam Dickinson put in a good position but under enough pressure by the Dover defence to miss the target.

Then there was a marvellous last ditch tackle by Ryan Toulson which denied Stefan Payne who looked set to break the deadlock. Guiseley then showed their skill with Dickinson and Craddock passing to each other and the latter fired over the bar.

But it should have been 1-0 to Dover when Payne’s free-kick was saved by Drench who then had no right to make a fantastic reaction stop to Miller’s effort as the half ended goalless.

The second-half began with Dover creating further chances with their best effort falling to substitute Toby Ajala whose fierce strike hit the underside of the bar. Guiseley’s best chance of the remaining 45 minutes fell to Adam Boyes who delivered a powerful effort from long range which just went wide.

Then, with just minutes to go, Dover looked liked they had grabbed a late winner but Sean Raggett’s header hit the bar.

Guiseley boss Mark Bower said: “It’s a well earned point because the lads have worked their socks off. The lads stuck at it with the work ethic they have got.”

The Lions are back in action tomorrow at home to third-bottom Southport who drew 2-2 at FC Halifax Town on Saturday. Managerless Halifax trailed 2-0 at the break despite Southport having had Mike Phenix sent off. Jordan Burrow proved the Town hero as he netted a 74th-minute penalty before equalising with a late header a minute from time. The second-bottom Shaymen return to action tomorrow at home to fourth-placed Gateshead.

In National League North, Harrogate Town’s progress hit a blip in a 3-0 loss at home to Nuneaton who jumped above them into third. Former West Ham United striker Marlon Harewood was on target for Nuneaton who also struck through Aaron Williams and Elliott Whitehouse. Fourth-placed Town are back in action on Saturday at Workington in the FA Cup second qualifying round. Third-bottom Bradford Park Avenue took a 0-0 draw from Saturday’s trip to fifth-placed Tamworth and are back in action on Saturday at Consett in the FA Cup.


FARSLEY CELTIC remain winless in First Division North after Saturday’s 2-1 loss at home to leaders Northwich Victoria.

Second-bottom Farsley fell behind to Stuart Cook’s strike after 26 minutes but gave themselves hope when Lewis Nightingale equalised three minutes after the break. But Vics’ Cedric Krou bagged the game’s winner 15 minutes from time to leave Farsley still seeking their first win after seven games.

The Celts are three-points behind third-bottom Droylsden who were beaten 1-0 at Ossett Albion. Adam Jones bagged the only goal of the game after 15 minutes to put Albion one point and one place behind ninth-placed Ossett Town who were 2-1 victors at Clitheroe. David Brown gave Town a 19th-minute advantage which was doubled by a Nathan Curtis effort after 67 minutes. Scott Bakkor set up a grandstand finish when netting 12 minutes from time.

Brighouse Town sit in sixth after a 2-2 draw at Radcliffe Borough who led 2-0 but were pegged back by a Daniel Facey effort and Thomas Robinson penalty four minutes from time.

Harrogate Railway are 16th after a 3-2 loss at Burscough which came in spite of leading twice through Stephen Bromley and Jack Stockdill. Seventh-placed Scarborough Athletic were felled 1-0 by visiting Warrington Town whose Christopher Gahgan struck a 28th-minute winner.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic were denied a place in the play-offs as they suffered a last-gasp 2-1 loss at home to lowly Halesowen Town.

Jacob Hazel gave the Blues a 34th-minute lead but Keyon Reffell levelled with six minutes remaining and then bagged an away winner just three minutes from time.

Third-bottom Whitby Town also fell to a 1-0 loss at fifth-placed Sutton Coldfield Town while in First Division South, 16th-placed Goole AFC were defeated 3-0 at leaders Stafford Rangers.


TADCASTER Albion stayed two points clear at the top of the NCE Premier after Saturday’s thrilling 4-3 success at home to Rainworth Miners Welfare.

Patrick Miller gave the Brewers a fourth-minute lead but Lewis Bingham levelled just five minutes later and Rainworth led after 17 minutes through Jack Andrews. Albion’s Josh Barrett equalised on the stroke of half-time but Bingham then put the visitors 3-2 ahead leaving Albion thankful to Jimmy Beadle’s equaliser and a Daniel Clayton penalty two minutes after hour.

Pickering Town celebrated only their second win of the season through a 3-0 triumph at Parkgate. Lewis Taylor struck a brace including one penalty with Joe Danby also netting.

But Luke Gordon’s fifth-minute opener failed to prevent a 2-1 loss for Nostell Miners Welfare at Staveley Miners Welfare while a James French goal was in vain for Liversedge in a 5-1 loss at lowly Armthorpe Welfare. Aaron Moxam netted for Pontefract Collieries who were beaten 3-1 at home to Barton Town Old Boys.

Second-bottom Thackley were hammered 6-0 by third-placed visitors Handsworth Parramore while hosts Garforth Town lost 2-0 to Albion Sports.


DANE MORTIMER bagged a late brace as Selby Town enjoyed a 4-0 win at home to Glasshoughton Welfare in Division One.

Tom Chamberlain and Ashley Hope struck within two minutes of the restart before Mortimer’s double salvo.

Yorkshire Amateur savoured a 4-1 triumph at home to Worsbrough Bridge Athletic in which Adam Shaw hit two with Joel Hughes and Carl Heard also netting. Goals from George Eustance, Fraser Lancaster and Bradley Walker gave Knaresborough Town a 3-1 win at Grimsby Borough. Eccleshill United’s Andy Cooper hit an 87th-minute leveller in a 1-1 draw at Hull United but a Kieran Ryan double and Alex Hallam strike was in vain for AFC Emley who lost 4-3 at Westella VIP while Hemsworth Miners Welfare were floored 2-0 by visiting AFC Mansfield.