Liburd at the double to lift Guiseley out of relegation zone

Paul Cox.
Paul Cox.
Have your say

Guiseley moved out of the National League relegation zone after a superb 3-2 victory at Woking on Saturday.

This entertaining game began with the hosts taking the lead as Declan Appau hit a fine effort from just outside the area.

It flew into the net leaving Jonny Maxted with no chance.

Rowan Liburd would prove to be a real handful for Woking, he should have got the Lions level when one-on-one but his effort was well saved by Nathan Baxter.

Liburd though wouldn’t be denied twice, as a Darren Holden long throw found the striker who was able to nudge the ball in at the near post.

The second half began with Guiseley on the front foot and a poor pass by Woking led to Liburd racing onto the loose ball and he made no mistake in giving the Lions the lead.

The hosts started to attack more often and should have equalised but Richard Orlu fired wide.

Good build up play though soon led to the Regan Charles Cook making it 2-2 with a simple tap in.

This end-to-end match soon saw Guiseley go 3-2 up with Mike Fondop bursting forward and with one of his first touches giving the away side the lead.

A large amount of added time led to a nervy scene or two, including goalkeeper Baxter going up for a free-kick but Guiseley weren’t troubled too much and came away with the vital win.

The result means Guiseley have gone five games unbeaten in all competitions and manager Paul Cox was delighted with the display.

He said: “It was a proper game that, end to end, it was like a cup tie but we got the win.

“That’s a big three points for us, that moves us up the table and puts us in a position which is more favourable now we want to kick on.”

Elsewhere in the National League, FC Halifax Town’s winless run was extended to seven games as Tranmere Rovers inflicted a 4-2 defeat on the Shaymen.

A fabulous early double from James Norwood and second-half goals from Larnell Cole and Dylan Mottley-Henry won the game for Rovers. Matty Brown and debutant Daniel Batty responded for Town.

Ten-man Harrogate Town, meanwhile, stayed top of National North after racking up a seventh successive away triumph in a 2-1 win at Curzon Ashton.

Simon Weaver’s men were 2-0 up within the first seven minutes after Joe Leesley converted a penalty, won by Jack Emmett, before the latter converted a Ben O’Hanlon cross.

A Tom Allan header reduced the deficit but Harrogate secured maximum points despite Leesley being shown a second yellow card after the half-time break.

Salford remain two points behind Harrogate following their 2-1 triumph at Bradford Park Avenue.

Oli Johnson fired the home side in front from the penalty spot after Nicky Clee was brought down by Carl Peirgianni.

But Michael Phenix levelled after the break and sub Gus Mafuta netted the winner, before Ammies keeper Max Crocombe was bizarrely sent off for urinating behind his goal.

Farsley Celtic celebrate their County Cup final victory over Selby Town.

Lakeland: County Cup final win has given Farsley momentum