Leaders hit back twice to deny Harrogate Town full points

Harrogate's Shane Killock controls the ball.
Harrogate's Shane Killock controls the ball.
Have your say

HARROGATE Town produced a fine display to hold league leaders AFC Telford United to a 2-2 draw at the CNG on Saturday.

After creating several chances, Town made the breakthrough deep into first-half stoppage time when Dave Merris let fly with a terrific 20-yarder that flew into the back of the net.

The leaders then levelled with 16 minutes remaining when Matty McGinn’s long throw was met by Mike Grogan whose hooked effort looped home over ’keeper Craig MacGillivray.

But Town regained the lead just two minutes later when a fine free-kick from Steve Mallory found Shane Killock who glanced his header past Young to spark mass home celebrations.

But the league leaders weren’t done just yet and they levelled for the second time just 90 seconds later when Tony Gray was first to the ball to steer past MacGillivray from six yards.

Both sides then had chances to win the game at the death.

Town boss Simon Weaver beamed: “I was very proud of the lads.

“We more than matched Telford and we looked a strong, competitive outfit.”

Elsewhere, Bradford Park Avenue bounced back to form with a vengeance through a 6-1 hammering of visiting Worcester City.

Worcester initially took the lead as Ethan Moore collected a pass from Ellis Deeney and scored the opening goal from close range.

But the hosts equalised when Nathan Hotte’s low cross was converted by Nicky Boshell with an outstretched boot.

Goals from Jordan Deacey and Paul Beesley then put Avenue 3-1 up at the interval with Adam Clayton’s second-half header making it four.

Boshell added a fifth from the penalty spot and the icing on the cake came from new signing Ross Gardner who was introduced as a substitute and scored his first goal in Avenue colours with his first touch of the ball.

Avenue boss John Deacey hailed some “outstanding performances” but also warned that one swallow does not make a summer.

Deacey said: “It doesn’t hide the fact we were very poor in December.

“You can’t live on the past you have to live on the future, we need to try and build on that performance and climb up the league to achieve what we want to do this season.

“It was good for the crowd they needed a lift after the recent performances we have put in.”

Guiseley’s clash at Brackley Town was one of three games postponed due to waterlogged pitches.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town slipped to a 2-0 loss at struggling Tamworth.

Goals from Lloyd Kerry and Andy Todd saw the hosts to victory with Matty Pearson, Reece Gray and Scott McManus having the best chances for the Shaymen.

Harry Flowers.

Burnley defender joins Guiseley as Maxted moves on