Lawlor’s late strike earns Guiseley a key point

Jake Lawlor.
Jake Lawlor.
Have your say

GUISELEY secured what could prove to be a crucial point after scoring a late goal at Nethermoor to salvage a 1-1 draw with Eastleigh in the National League on Saturday.

The away side took the lead on the stroke of half-time when experienced striker James Constable calmly finished when given room in the penalty area but Jake Lawlor equalised right at the death with a smart finish after the ball bounced in the area.

Guiseley had the first opportunity of the game when a through ball from Kevan Hurst found Michael Rankine but the striker was unable to get his shot on target.

The away side saw their captain Sam Togwell take a long range effort that took a deflection and went narrowly wide, as Martin Allen’s side looked to take the initiative.

Guiseley’s Will Hatfield was then denied thanks to a wonderful save by keeper Graham Stack.

The stopper was able to get a hand on the ball and push it wide.

Guiseley forward Cassidy had a chance before half-time when he beat Reda Johnson for pace and was one-on-one with Stack but he mis-hit his effort and it went out of play for a goal kick.

And in added time, Constable gave the visitors the lead, placing an effort into the bottom right hand corner.

This gave the away side a boost going into the second half and they should have gone 2-0 up when substitute Sam Muggleton – with his first touch of the ball – was found in the six yard box, but his effort went wide.

The hosts pushed men forward late on and Jake Lawlor, had a headed an effort on target, but it lacked power and was easily saved.

However Lawlor was in the right place deep into injury time when he pounced to fire the ball past Stack.

Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood felt his side deserved more than a point from the game.

He said: “If I’m honest the lads are disappointed. We had some good chances in the first half, but you have to be pleased to get a draw after scoring so late.

“We know that the lads are wanting to make it 10 unbeaten at home now, which is a fine run to be on.”

In National League North, Harrogate Town secured back-to-back 3-0 victories as Worcester City were put to the sword at The CNG Stadium.

Simon Ainge’s seventh goal in his last four appearances set the ball rolling as the in-form striker finished off Joe Colbeck’s low cross.

Captain Danny Ellis claimed Town’s second, heading in Joe Leesley’s corner, before Louie Swain’s low finish put an end to any hopes Worcester had of taking anything from the game.

Bradford Park Avenue’s survival hopes were given a shot in the arm thanks to a 5-1 home victory over Gainsborough.

Avenue took the lead thanks to Nicky Wroe’s spot kick after visiting goalkeeper George Willis was sent off for violent conduct on 20 minutes. Gavin Rothery levelled for Trinity 10 minutes into the second half but Avenue took control and further goals from Danny Boshell, Oli Johnson, Chris Sharp and a second Wroe penalty gave the home side their most resounding win of the season.

Elsewhere, FC Halifax Town regained their spot in the play-off places after a 2-0 victory over Nuneaton Town. Adam Morgan opened the scoring after 15 minutes with Matt Kosylo doubling the advantage from the penalty spot on 48 minutes.


FARSLEY CELTIC jumped up to second in the Evo-Stik League’s First Division North as James Walshaw struck a brace in Saturday’s 4-1 win at home to fellow promotion pushers Glossop North End.

Glossop took a ninth-minute lead through Adam Jones but Farsley finally pulled a goal back nine minutes after the interval through Adam Clayton. Walshaw then fired Celts ahead four minutes before the hour, after which Jordan Deacey made it 3-1 in the 66th minute.

Walshaw then bagged his second goal of the afternoon four minutes from time.

Farsley jumped above Ossett Town who are now third after their home clash with Colwyn Bay was postponed.

The Celts are nine points behind leaders Lancaster City but have three games in hand.

Lancaster obliged 1-0 at Mossley thanks to Ryan Winder’s 55th-minute winner.

At the other end of the table, Ossett Albion moved up to 17th with a 2-1 win at 13th-placed Kendal Town. Kendal led four minutes before the interval through Matthew Dudley but James Eyles hit back in the 64th minute before Robert Bordman claimed Albion a late winner three minutes from time.

Tadcaster Albion rose to 15th with a 2-1 success at home to tenth-placed Bamber Bridge.

The visitors took a 10th-minute lead through Michael Potts but Albion levelled three minutes after the break through Josh Greening.

Jonathan Greening then bagged the game’s winning goal 18 minutes from time.

Ninth-placed Brighouse Town fell to a 2-0 loss at 11th-placed Ramsbottom United who scored both of their goals in the second half.

Darrhyl Mason bagged the first of them three minutes after the break and Ryan Salmon then leapt up to net an 88th-minute penalty.

In the Premier Division, Frickley Athletic’s trip to Buxton was postponed.


MARK Simpson equalled a Garforth Town record of scoring in eight consecutive games by netting a late penalty in Saturday’s 4-1 win at home to Bottesford Town in the NCE Premier.

The fixture was the division’s only game to survive the afternoon’s wet conditions and Lee Turner fired Garforth into a first-half lead.

Bottesford then levelled shortly before the break through a Paul Grimes penalty.

But Turner put the Miners back ahead after the interval and Garforth then raced away after further strikes from Mitch Hamilton and then Simpson from the penalty spot.

Simpson has now scored 23 goals for the season and 11th-placed Garforth have won five of their last six games with the Miners having lost just once so far in 2017.

Pontefract Collieries moved top of Division One with a 5-2 defeat of visiting Teversal.

Only six games survived the day’s wet conditions but a Christopher Jackson brace plus goals from Christopher Wood, Kane Reece and Michael Dunn saw Collieries to a five-star showing.

Pontefract are now one point above second-placed AFC Emley, and with a game in hand though third-placed Hall Road Rangers are only six points off top spot with two games in hand.

Kurtis Bamford was at the double for Teversal who sit 16th.

Knaresborough Town moved onto the cusp of the play-offs with a 1-0 win at home to 12th-placed Winterton Rangers.

Fraser Lancaster struck two minutes after the hour to put seventh-placed Boro just two points behind sixth-placed Hallam who have one game in hand.

Hallam were held to a 2-2 draw at 13th-placed Yorkshire Amateur.

Hallam led twice through Micah Bishop after eight minutes and then Kierat Watson five minutes after the hour but Matthew Dalton bagged Ammers their first leveller three minutes after the break.

Adam Sham then made matters 2-2 in the 71st minute.

Bottom club Nostell Miners Welfare were defeated 3-0 at fifth-placed Grimsby Borough.

Darren Hanslip netted a 43rd-minute opener, followed by a Daniel Trott strike on the hour and then a Louis Grant strike 15 minutes from time.