Late goal denies Cox first win as Lions boss

Joe Green
Joe Green
Have your say

Guiseley were moments away from their first win with Paul Cox as manager but had to settle for a point away at Wrexham.

Guiseley were moments away from their first win with Paul Cox as manager but had to settle for a point away at Wrexham.

Raul Correia

Raul Correia

The match looked to have been settled thanks to a first-half strike and some good keeping from Joe Green, but Sam Wedbury equalised with 96 minutes on the clock.

After the match Cox spoke of his frustration at the final score, while taking some positives.

He said: “The lads are gutted, I thought some of them looked a little leggy as the game progressed in the latter stages, we have to take some positives from facing a big side like Wrexham and them celebrating that draw.

“Since I have come in the lads have listened and worked hard, we have to build from that.”

The match started and Guiseley forward Raul Correia looked dangerous for the visitors when he struck first time and his effort went just wide.

Wrexham came into this game in good form and could have taken the lead when a cross nearly found Scott Boden who just couldn’t make contact with the pass despite stretching for it. Lee Molyneux had an effort for the visitors, but former Huddersfield Town keeper Luke Coddington judged the flight of the ball well and tipped it away.

The encouraging start for Guiseley was rewarded with the opening goal, when Will Hatfield had a shot that took a deflection and fell nicely for Correia who got his name on the scoresheet.

Just before half-time Wrexham broke forward but Green did well to get off his line and collect the ball stopping the potential danger.

The Lions again started brightly with fromer Wrexham man John Rooney’s corner just being headed over Correia.

Wrexham had a good opportunity moments later when Boden was unable to get his header on target after good build-up play.

The pace of the game started to fade away at times with Guiseley knowing how important the win would be.

Green was again tested when Chris Holroyd was found in the area but the stopper positioned himself smartly to block the effort.

Near the end the score could have been more in Guiseley’s favour with Rob Atkinson having an effort saved from a corner near the end of the match.

But Wedgbury saw his shot go in from just outside the area to the relief of Wrexham fans and the frustration of the Guiseley’s players and supporters.

FC Halifax Town went down 3-1 at Dagenham and Redbridge, with Matty Brown netting the Shaymen’s consolation on 70 minutes.

Conference North leaders Harrogate Town are through to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup thanks to a 3-0 home win over NCE Premier side Penistone Church.

The visitors held out until the 57th minute when Terry Kennedy netted his fourth of the season.

Jack Emmett (70) made it two before former Leeds United defender Ben Parker wrapped up the win five minutes later.

Bradford Park Avenue are also through after a 3-0 win at Southport. Former Guiseley man Adam Boyes (16) got the opener, another ex-Lion Oli Johnson made it two, a couple of minutes later before Javan Vidal added gloss early in the second half as Avenue made it eight games without defeat.


Farsley Celtic made it back-to-back wins, as they piled the misery on bottom of the table Halesowen Town, with a 3-1 victory.

Ryan Watson, Richard Marshall, and the league’s top scorer James Walshaw were all on target as Farsley ran out comfortable winners, despite being reduced to 10 men.

Farsley took a deserved lead just before the half-hour mark as Walshaw fed Marshall who had his shot saved by Daniel Platt, with Watson on hand to tap home the rebound.

Just moments later Farsley doubled their lead as Paul Walker delivered a cross from the by-line to Marshall who hit the back of the net.

Halesowen came close to pulling a goal back just before half-time as Oliver Finny shot inches wide following some neat build-up play.

Just after the hour mark Farsley were reduced to 10 men as Adam Clayton brought down Daniel Udoh, who the referee adjudged to be through on goal.

Halesowen took advantage of the extra man as Lee Chilton side-footed home from Cecil Nyoni’s cross.

However, Farsley wrapped up the three points with 10 minutes remaining as Walker threaded a terrific ball through to Walshaw who slotted home.

Tadcaster Albion fought back in sensational style to defeat Colne 3-2. Colne lead through Lawrence Hunter and Alex Curran with 25 minutes remaining, before Chris Howarth, Aiden Savory and Tom Corner turned the game around for Tadcaster.

Ossett Albion remain winless as a solitary Alistair Waddecar strike was enough for Bamber Bridge to take the three points, whilst Brighouse Town also lost 1-0, as Harry Cain handed Prescot Cables the three points.

Frickley Athletic are up to third in the Evo-Stik Division 1 South following a superb 3-0 win over Gresley FC. Joshua Nodder, Jacob Hazel and Jameel Ible were all on target to make it two wins in a week for Frickley.

The FA Cup dream continues for Ossett Town as Steve Ridley scored a first-half winner in their 1-0 win over Atherton Collieries, sending Town through to the third qualifying round. The draw will be made today.


Premier Division leaders Pontefract Collieries defeated lowly Parkgate 5-0 to maintain their two-point advantage at the top.

Vaughan Redford (37) scored the only goal of the first half and added a second on 57 minutes.

Eli Hey (63), Spencer Clarke (69) and Michael Dunn (90) also netted.

Game of the day saw Pickering Town climb above Hemsworth MW into second after Russell Parker (86) hit a latre winner.

Garforth Town also won 1-0, thanks to Callum Ward’s 19th-minute effort against visiting Rainworth MW, but Thackley lost 3-2 at home to Bridlington Town despite leading 2-0 at half-time through Sam Cable’s brace.

Harrogate Railway also went down 3-2 at home to Bottesford Town. Trailing 1-0 at the break, Rail hit back to lead 2-1 through Mendes Dionisio (47) and Adam Carter (66), before being undone by Declan Bacon’s late double.

Performance of the day in Division 1 came from Selby Town who thrashed Nostell MW 8-1. Liam Flanagan netted four for the Robins – including a nine-minute hat-trick – with Joseph Dale a brace, Bradley Freer and Casey Stewart completing the rout for Selby who are fifth. Nathan Smith got the Miners’ goal.

Leaders Knaresborough Town picked up three points at Winterton Rangers courtesy of goals from Blaine Hobson (11)Thomas Hesketh (68pen) and Brad Walker (77).

Yorkshire Amateur are four points adrift in second after being held 1-1 at home by lowly Worsbrough Bridge.

Fernando Moke’s 65th-minute leveller rescuing the Ammers.

Glasshoughton Welfare drew 1-1 at Campion who had Danny Stocker (43) on the scoresheet. Conor Glavin (62) replying for Welfare, while Eccleshill United won 5-1 at East Yorkshire Carnegie.