Improving Lions still on bottom after draw

Adam Boyes
Adam Boyes
Have your say

GUISELEY bagged their second point of the National League season but remain bottom of the table after Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to third-bottom Woking.

GUISELEY bagged their second point of the National League season but remain bottom of the table after Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to third-bottom Woking.

The Lions led through an early second-half effort from Adam Boyes who blasted into the top corner from 20 yards out.

But Woking levelled late on when Fabio Saraiva’s header deflected off Ash Palmer and wrong-footed Guiseley keeper Maxted.

The Lions remain five points adrift of safety after nine games and are back in action tomorrow evening at 18th-placed Chester. Reece Webb-Foster started from the off for Guiseley after joining on loan from Bradford City and had the first chance, when cutting inside and shooting narrowly over from just outside the area.

Woking, though, began to get into the match, with Delano Sam-York beating left-back Nicky Clee and his effort had to be pushed away by Guiseley keeper Johnny Maxted.

A well-worked move by the hosts then saw them go close again, with Clee found and on the turn placing a shot that was turned away by Woking stopper Michael Poke.

Guiseley’s Leeds United loanee Alex Purver then saw his powerful drive test Poke who made a diving save to keep the effort out. At the other end, Woking striker Chigozie Ugwu was found from a corner but was unable to put his free header goalwards.

Guiseley punished the miss by scoring soon after the break through Boyes and the lead should have been doubled but Jordan Preston was brilliantly denied by Poke who somehow got a hand on a powerful effort.

But Woking kept pressing and after levelling through Saraiva eight minutes from time, Dennon Lewis almost bagged a second and a winning goal when seeing a subsequent effort flash just wide.

Guiseley’s caretaker manager Adam Lockwood was disappointed with the result, and said: “We are now two games unbeaten but we should have won this one. We had chances and on another day we would have gained our first win of the season. We need to move on from this and take the good things and hopefully that will mean we beat Chester on Tuesday.”

In National League North, third-placed Harrogate Town dropped three points behind leaders AFC Fylde after a 1-0 loss at Alfreton who moved 12th.

Danny Bradley netted the winner two minutes after the half hour mark. Town visit third-bottom Stalybridge Celtic tomorrow.

Bradford Park Avenue stay bottom and three points adrift of safety after a 3-0 loss at home to 14th-placed Worcester City. Avenue welcome fifth-placed Darlington tomorrow.


HIGH-FLYING Liversedge continued their fine start to the season with Saturday’s 4-1 success at Thornaby in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase.

Liversedge sit second in the NCE Premier but looked to have a fight on their hands when Ryan Bennions gave the hosts a 24th-minute lead.

But Harrison Blakey levelled two minutes before the break and went on to complete a brace, either side of strikes from Rhys Davies and Joe Walton.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare progressed with a 4-2 verdict at neighbours Pontefract Collieries for whom strikes from Joshua Corbett and Jamie Williams were in vain.

Hemsworth’s Adam Wilson, Nicholas Guest, Dominique Blair and Bill Law all netted a goal each.

Pickering Town also enjoyed an away Vase win as hosts AFC Darwen were eclipsed 2-1.

A Robert Chipps double put Pickering in the next round.

Chipps netted his first strike after just three minutes and doubled his tally eight minutes after the break before Nick Hepple pulled a goal back three minutes later.

Glasshoughton Welfare also moved through as Nathan Keightley’s brace ensured a 2-0 victory at Dronfield Town.

But a Jordan Rouse goal was in vain for Thackley who crashed out 2-1 at Easington Colliery while Brad Walker’s home strike failed to save Knaresborough Town from a 2-1 loss at home to Silsden.

Mitchell Hamilton struck for Garforth Town but their dreams were ended in a 4-1 loss at Daisy Hill.

Selby Town were floored 1-0 at Irlam while Eccleshill United lost out 2-0 at Stockton Town.

Bridlington Town thrashed Yorkshire Amateur 6-0 in their first qualifying round tie played yesterday.

In Division One of the NCE League, third-bottom Nostell Miners Welfare were felled 1-0 by new leaders Hallam.


BRIGHOUSE Town climbed to second in the EvoStik League’s First Division North as Ruben Jerome’s treble inspired a 4-0 triumph at Mossley.

Sixteenth-placed Mossley were sunk by Jerome strikes after 12, 28 and 74 minutes, with Tom Haigh also netting 10 minutes after the break.

Brighouse are now one point behind leaders Bamber Bridge who obliged 1-0 at rivals Droylsden.

Former leaders Prescot Cables were slammed 4-1 at Scarborough Athletic who are up to ninth.

For the hosts, Benny Igiehon’s double was supported by strikes from Carl Stewart and David Brown.

Farsley Celtic slipped to fourth but still only three points off the top with a 1-0 loss at 12th-placed Trafford for whom Mark Derbyshire bagged a 44th-minute winner.

Newly-promoted NCE League champions Tadcaster Albion are up to fifth and only behind Farsley on goal difference after seeing off 11th-placed visitors Clitheroe 1-0.

Thomas Corner struck the decisive goal after eight minutes.

Ossett Town dropped to 18th after a 1-0 loss at sixth-placed Kendal Town who netted through Charlie Bailey after half an hour.

Ossett Albion are third-bottom after going down by the same score to seventh-placed visitors Colne.

Adam Morning bagged the winner 20 minutes from time.

Goole AFC stay bottom, despite drawing 2-2 at fourth-bottom Colwyn Bay.

Goole led through Derry Robson after eight minutes but were then 2-1 down before Curtly Martin-Wyatt levelled on the stroke of half-time.

Frickley Athletic have now lost seven games out of seven in the Premier Division after Saturday’s 4-0 loss at Hednesford Town who are fourth.

Two first-half penalties from Daniel Glover put the hosts in control before George Carline and Gurjit Singh netted after the break.

Whitby Town are sixth after sharing a 1-1 draw with tenth-placed visitors Mickleover Sports who bagged a 66th-minute equaliser through Adam Baskerville.

Whitby led four minutes after half-time through Matthew Tymon.