Improving Guiseley jump above York in National League

Will Hatfield.
Will Hatfield.
Have your say

GUISELEY hauled themselves off the foot of National League table as Saturday’s 3-1 win at home to high-flying Boreham Wood put the Lions within four points of safety.

Goals from Rob Atkinson, Will Hatfield and Jake Cassidy sunk the seventh-placed visitors and elevated Guiseley from 24th to 22nd and above troubled York City in 23rd.

Guiseley and York will now meet in a mouth-watering showdown at Bootham Crescent tomorrow night.

Play-off chasing Boreham Wood had the game’s first chance on Saturday when Anthony Jeffrey’s attempted cross turned into a shot which Guiseley’s new permanent keeper Jonny Maxted did well to tip to safety.

The visitors then almost took the lead when Jamie Lucas was played through on goal and his effort deflected off Danny Lowe and Maxted had to claw the shot from over his head before gathering it at the second attempt.

Jeffrey then placed almost identical crosses in the space of two minutes, that caused serious problems to the home side’s defence who were relieved to see the passes go out of play without finding an attacker.

Guiseley’s only real chance in the first half fell to Jordan Preston who looped a header towards goal on the turn but his effort lacked power and was saved.

The first half ended goalless but the Lions then drew first blood two minutes after the restart when Atkinson scored with a free header from a corner, despite Wood keeper Grant Smith getting a hand on it.

And Guiseley then doubled their lead just three minutes later when a cross from Jake Cassidy found Hatfield who scored off the post on the angle.

The hosts should have been three goals to the good when another cross led to striker Cassidy seeing his powerful effort wonderfully saved by Grant Smith. Boreham Wood then got back in the match in the 69th minute when Davis was found at the back post and his header crept in.

But Guiseley made the points safe when the tireless Cassidy powered home an effort on the rebound in the 80th minute, after Hatfield had seen an effort saved. Guiseley manager Adam Lockwood beamed: “I’m delighted. We got the basics right today and were clinical up front. They are a good team, so this was an impressive win.”

“We need to build on this with the York game coming next. We have to continue the style of play and the effectiveness.” York lost their third league game in succession on Saturday with a 3-0 loss at 14th-placed Bromley Town.

York have not won in 14 league games but are one point above new basement side North Ferriby United who lost 2-0 at 16th-placed Solihull Moors.


Evo-Stik League outfit Farsley Celtic face an FA Trophy third qualifying round replay tomorrow night at Tamworth the after the Staffordshire side bagged an injury-time equaliser in Saturday’s 2-2 draw.

James Walshaw’s strike gave Farsley a 22nd-minute before Steve Tomassnen initially equalised 20 minutes from time. Jacob Hazel then looked to have given the Celts an 88th-minute winner but Danny Newton had other ideas and drew Tamworth level for the second time in the fourth minute of injury time.

Elsewhere, Shaw Lane AFC moved through with a 3-1 success at home to Nantwich Town while Stocksbridge Park Steels face a replay at Stalybridge Celtic after a 2-2 draw. From National League North, Harrogate Town face a replay tomorrow at Salford City after Saturday’s 2-2 draw at the CNG.

Town got off to a dream start when Lloyd Kerry gave the hosts a second-minute lead on his return to the side for the first time since fracturing his cheekbone at in August.

James Poole then levelled for Salford 16 minutes later but Town went back in front on the stroke of half-time through a Luke Shiels header.

But Salford equalised for the second time through a Michael Nottingham header in the 67th minute and Salford held on for a draw despite seeing skipper Bradley Barnes sent off for a second booking with 11 minutes to go.

FC Halifax Town face a home replay against Matlock Town after a 1-1 draw in Derbyshire. Curtis Morrison gave Matlock a 44th-minute lead but Alex Simmons levelled nine minutes from time.

Bradford Park Avenue were dumped out of the competition after a 2-0 loss at Stockport.

Sam Minihan gave Stockport the lead after 32 minutes and the home side’s progression was assured when John Marsden netted in injury time.


Frickley Athletic moved two points clear of the Evo-Stik League Premier Division’s bottom four with a last-gasp 2-1 success at 16th-placed Halesowen Town.

Noel Burdett put Frickley ahead on the stroke of half-time and while Kaiman Anderson hit back seven minutes later, Nathan Valentine then struck a last-minute winner.

In First Division North, Ossett Town dropped to fifth after a 3-1 loss at home to 17th-placed Droylsden. Tyrone Gray’s strike was in vain for the hosts.

Brighouse Town are sixth after a 1-1 derby draw at 12th-placed Tadcaster Albion. Luke Parkin fired Brighouse into a fifth-minute lead but Joshua Greening equalised.

Third-bottom Ossett Albion drew 0-0 at 15th-placed Hyde United while second-bottom Goole AFC lost 2-1 at home to Prescot Cables who are 18th. Lewis Dennison initially gave Goole a 36th-minute lead.

In the NCE League, Thackley were within seconds of going joint top of the NCE Premier until visiting Worksop Town netted a late penalty in a 1-1 draw. Thackley led after 65 minutes through Christopher Wademan but Connor Brunt denied the hosts victory with his spot kick.

Fourth-placed Pickering Town beat visiting AFC Mansfield while seventh-placed Liversedge blitzed hosts Retford United 5-1.

Eighth-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare were 5-3 winners at home to Rainworth Miners Welfare while 10th-placed Garforth Town were sunk 3-0 at third-placed Bridlington Town.

Pontefract Collieries sit second in Division One after a 1-0 triumph at Shirebrook Town. Third-placed AFC Emley obliged 2-0 at Hallam but seventh-placed Knaresborough Town were beaten 3-1 by visiting Dronfield Town.

Tenth-placed Glasshougton Welfare were eclipsed 4-3 by visiting Teversal while 11th-placed Selby Town were 2-1 victors at home to Grimsby Borough. But 12th-placed Eccleshill United were chinned 5-4 at Westella & Willerby. Yorkshire Amateur, who are 15th, beat visiting Hall Road Rangers 1-0 through a last minute own goal while bottom club Nostell Miners Welfare were thumped 5-0 at Ollerton Town.