Guiseley hit back to secure their place in the play-offs

Wayne Brooksby.
Wayne Brooksby.
Have your say

Guiseley secured their place in the Skrill North play-offs after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat of Gloucester City 3-1.

The Lions will now tackle second-placed finishers North Ferriby United with the first leg taking place at Nethermoor on Wednesday evening.

The return leg will take place next Saturday with either Altrincham or Hednesford Town awaiting in the final. Guiseley went into the match knowing that a win or a draw would ensure their spot in the top five.

But Guiseley’s nerves were not helped when Gloucester took the lead after four minutes when Billy Jones hit a free-kick from 25 yards out and his shot curled past the wall and into the bottom right hand corner.

Guiseley almost hit back immediately when in-form striker Adam Boyes fired narrowly wide when inside the area with his shot hitting the side netting on the angle.

Gloucester then thought they had doubled their lead when early substitute Nat Jarvis hit the ball on the half-volley and into the net. However, there was relief all around Nethermoor when the referee disallowed the goal for a push. Moments later Guiseley had equalised with Boyes getting an important touch then firing past Green with a composed finish. Then, from the next attack, Boyes should have got his second but he was unlucky as his effort crashed off the crossbar and out of the area.

As the half went on, Guiseley started to take control and soon took the lead when Wayne Brooksby had a powerful effort that forced Green into parrying the ball to Boyes who got his second of the match. The second half saw Guiseley’s Danny Hall produce a magnificent clearance off the line when Gloucester looked bound to get another goal.

The match was finally finished as a contest when Michael Potts rounded the keeper and scored Guiseley’s third.

Delighted Lions manager Mark Bower beamed: “I’m proud to be associated with these lads and the runs we have gone on. For us to get into the play-offs is fantastic.”

Harrogate Town finished the season in ninth after Saturday’s 3-1 loss at Stockport County. Dominic Rowe’s strike was in vain for the visitors.

One place and six points below Town are Bradford Park Avenue who ended the campaign in tenth after a 1-1 draw at Oxford City.

A penalty from Richard Marshall saw Avenue extend their unbeaten run to five games. Despite John Lamb’s save from Steve Basham’s penalty in the first-half, the home side took the lead through Zac McEachran.

The play-offs await FC Halifax Town in Skrill Premier following Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to Kidderminster in which Josh Wilson netted for the Shaymen after one minute.

Halifax will now meet Cambridge United with the first leg taking place on Wednesday evening at The Shay.

Non-League: Cockerline sees red as Farsley edged out by Robins