Guiseley graft way to point after long journey to Histon

Cameron Hardy
Cameron Hardy
Have your say

Guiseley left one of their longest away trips with a point after coming from behind to draw 1-1 at fifth-bottom Histon on Saturday.

Guiseley left one of their longest away trips with a point after coming from behind to draw 1-1 at fifth-bottom Histon on Saturday.

Guiseley were aiming to build on an impressive 2-1 win during midweek against high-flying Brackley Town. Yet the first-half lacked chances with both sides pressing for possession yet lacking to do much with it.

And as the half went on, it was the home side who created more and looked the most likely to take the lead. Histon’s Adi Yussuf forced Guiseley keeper Steve Drench into making a routine save when he was played through by former Guiseley midfielder Grant Roberts, and Histon created one or two more half-chances.

But with the only chance of the half, Guiseley could have taken the lead just before half-time.

Jake Lawlor was played in following a nice move with several Guiseley players involved but his drilled effort was off target and went past the right hand post.

The second half saw Guiseley take control with the away side looking more dangerous yet with just ten minutes to go Histon took the lead through Michael Built.

But from the next attack, Guiseley equalised when Alex Johnson glanced a header in from Wayne Brooksby’s cross.

But Guiseley could have been returning to Yorkshire with nothing as Drench was forced into making a dramatic one-handed save from Harry O’Malley in stoppage time.

Guiseley boss Mark Bower said: “From two away games I would take four points. I’m pleased having gone behind we have been able to show the character to come back and it could be a valuable point at the end of the season.”

Guiseley now sit 12th and welcome 13th-placed Leamington tomorrow.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Harrogate Town had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Brackley Town.

Adam Nowakowski gave Town a second-minute lead but Stefan Moore headed home an equaliser seven minutes later.

Dominic Rowe then put Town 2-1 up after 33 minutes but Brett Solkhon levelled for the hosts 12 minutes after half-time. Town, who sit eighth, return to action at tenth-placed Colwyn Bay tomorrow.

Bradford Park Avenue, meanwhile, put up a decent showing before falling to a 2-1 loss at leaders AFC Telford United.

After a goalless first half, Telford raced into a 2-0 lead through an Andy Owens header and Adam Farrell penalty.

Avenue substitute Danny Glover’s strike then set up a tense finale. Avenue, who sit 14th, welcome 16th-placed Vauxhall Motors tonight.

In Skrill Premier, FC Halifax Town got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win against second-bottom visitors Tamworth. Matty Pearson bagged the opener before a Lois Maynard screamer.

Ninth-placed Halifax are back in action at bottom club Hyde on Saturday.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team