Guiseley dealt play-off blow by Town’s sting in the tail

Danny Ellis.
Danny Ellis.
Have your say

Guiseley squandered a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 at Hednesford Town on Saturday, a result which leaves them outside of the Skrill North play-off places.

Guiseley started the match with a quick-fire double which seemingly put the side in a winning position.

First off Alex Johnson continued his scoring run when he was in the right place to score from a cross.

Then, just a couple of minutes later, Johnson was influential as his shot was saved but Adam Boyes was in the right place to put the ball in the back of the net.

But Guiseley’s good work was undone within 15 first-half minutes.

The Lions conceded their first after Tom Thorley shot home from the edge of the D.

Ten minutes later, Hednesford were level with Paul McCone getting the goal. Guiseley’s players protested as they believed there had been a push on the back of goalkeeper Steve Drench before the ball went in.

And the Lions players again protested for an offside when former Bradford Park Avenue striker Danny Glover hit the eventual winner, but the goal stood.

The second half saw the Lions try and grab an equaliser, but there were few chances of note and Guiseley must win against visiting Harrogate Town tomorrow to get back into the play-off zone.

Manager Mark Bower was critical of both some of his side’s performance and the referee.

“I’m disappointed,” he said. “Forgetting the referring decisions for now, I think we could have played better in the second half. They made it very difficult and played deep.”

Guiseley’s forthcoming opponents Harrogate Town shared a 1-1 draw with visiting Leamington. The visitors took a 27th-minute lead through James Mace but the hosts levelled mid-way through the second half through Ashley Worsfold.

Bradford Park Avenue enjoyed a 3-0 win at home to Histon.

Chib Chilaka scored two first-half goals to give the Avenue the lead at the break. The striker slotted home after James Knowles’ superb free-kick found Paul Walker, who spotted the run of Chilaka.

Then, a minute before half-time, a brilliant run from Walker down the left flank allowed the winger to pass to Richard Marshall, but his strike hit the post, only for Chilaka to tap-in the rebound.

The hosts sealed the win as Grant Black’s deep cross was brought down by Walker, and he curled a right-footed effort past the Stutes goalkeeper Charlie Grainger from 12 yards with the help of the post.

In Skrill Premier, FC Halifax Town returned to the play-off places following a 4-0 win at Barnet. Scott Spencer bagged a brace with Lee Gregory and Lois Maynard also netting.

Halifax visit Grimsby tomorrow evening.

Harry Flowers.

Burnley defender joins Guiseley as Maxted moves on