Guiseley cash in against nine-man Barrow

Guiseley's Danny Boshell.
Guiseley's Danny Boshell.
Have your say

GUISELEY recorded back to back wins for the first time since August as a 3-1 success at home to nine-man Barrow moved the Lions 14th in the National League.

The match went ahead after three pitch inspections and Guiseley scored from their first attack as Anthony Dudley’s strike was parried by Joel Dixon but Danny Boshell headed home.

The hosts nearly doubled their lead when former Barrow man Adam Boyes was picked out by Danny Lowe from a cross he headed down to Gavin Rothery, who blazed over.

Barrow then gifted Guiseley a second when Dixon failed to claim a cross and Rob Atkinson was in the perfect position to punish the mistake.

But Barrow struck back on the stroke of half-time when Andy Cook converted a penalty after Atkinson was adjudged to have handled.

David Mellor was sent off for two bookable offences, which resulted in Guiseley having plenty of room in the remaining 40 minutes. Anthony Dudley got the third when he broke away from a corner and scored.

Barrow’s Nick Wilmer-Anderton’s was then sent off for a two-footed lunge as the visitors dropped to 16th.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower said: “I’m really pleased with how we played.

“The result speaks for itself. It’s another three points on the board against a team that are around us in the National League table.”

Guiseley return to action tomorrow at second-placed Cheltenham Town.

FC Halifax Town were in FA Cup action yesterday but fell to a 4-0 loss at home to Wycombe Wanderers.

The Shaymen sit bottom of National League and return to action next Saturday at home to fifth-placed Braintree.

In National League North, Harrogate Town’s trip to Stalybridge Celtic and Bradford Park Avenue’s hosting of Curzon Ashton were both postponed.

Fourth-placed Town next visit seventh-placed Boston United tomorrow evening with 15th-placed Avenue at ninth-placed Chorley on Saturday.

Avenue have also appointed former Bradford City manager Terry Dolan as a director.

Dolan, 65, began his playing career at Avenue in 1967 when they were a Football League club.

The midfielder went on to play for Huddersfield Town, Bradford City and Rochdale and managed Rochdale, Hull City and York City. His last spell in management was at Guiseley in 2006-7.

Avenue owner Gareth Roberts said: “We are very pleased that Terry has agreed to join the board.

“He will bring a wealth of professional knowledge and experience.”


HARROGATE Railway moved themselves out of the First Division North drop zone as Stephen Bromley’s 86th-minute winner sealed a 3-2 success at fourth bottom Droylsden.

Ryan Sharrocks gave Rail’ a tenth-minute lead but James Hampson drew the hosts level with his strike four minutes after the break. Droylsden then appeared on course for victory when Lee O’Brien netted with 20 minutes left but Daniel Barrett struck nine minutes later before Bromley’s late winner.

Rail’ jumped above Farsley Celtic who are now second bottom on goal difference after their clash at Kendal Town was postponed. Ossett Town’s trip to Northwich Victoria also fell foul of the elements.

But Ossett Albion moved tenth with a 4-0 triumph at home to Witton Albion. Adam Muller’s goal gave Albion a half-time lead before Connor Brunt added a second in the 50th minute followed by two from Rob Bordman in four minutes.

Brighouse Town were denied three points in their play-off push as visiting Trafford netted in the last minute in a 1-1 draw.

Ernest Boafo gave Brighouse Town a 55th-minute lead but Trafford equalised through Jack Dorney’s penalty in added time.

Scarborough Athletic’s blushes were spared by two late goals in a 2-1 win at home to rock bottom New Mills.

Mayuwa Ajayi’s goal looked like ending Mills’ drought until Alex Peterson and Alex Metcalfe pounced.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic suffered a 3-0 defeat at Matlock Town who climbed above them into 13th place. Joel Purkis netted twice in a nine-minute spell in the first half and substitute Niall McManus added a late third.

In First Division South, Christopher Jackson hit a last-minute winner as Goole AFC chinned visiting Sheffield 3-2. Sheffield led 2-0 but were stunned by a brace from Jackson plus a Nicholas Guest strike.


TADCASTER albion and Worksop Town continue to trade blows at the top of the NCE Premier with 4-1 away wins keeping the sides level on points.

Albion had braces from Josh Greening and Adam Baker to thank for their 4-1 success at Handsworth Parramore while Worksop won by the same score at Nostell Miners Welfare. Nostell led after one minute through Simon Poole but Kyle Jordan levelled three minutes later with the first of his brace.

Worksop are top on goal difference and have two games in hand with Cleethorpes Town nine points further back in third with an extra game in hand.

Pickering Town took bragging rights against visiting Liversedge with a 2-1 home victory. James Bennett put Pickering ahead on the stroke of half-time with the lead doubled by Joe Danby 12 minutes from time. Joe Walton set up a tense finish with his Liversedge response seven minutes from time.

And Bridlington Town enjoyed a 3-1 triumph at Retford United with a Tom Fleming double preceded by a Joel Smith strike.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare stayed top of Division One with a 6-3 defeat of visiting Lincoln Moorlands Railway. A Danny Critchlow hat-trick was supported by a Shane Kelsey double and a Jason Yates penalty.

Bottesford Town moved second with a 5-1 beating of visiting Yorkshire Amateur for whom a late Thomas Rose strike proved only a consolation.

Title-chasing AFC Mansfield were held to a goalless draw at Shirebrook Town.

Honours were even at AFC Emley in a thrilling 3-3 draw with Selby Town who were foiled when Kieran Ryan hit a last-minute leveller to complete a brace. Emley led 1-0 after eight minutes but were 3-2 down after Selby strikes from Danny Norton, Luke Anderson and Craig Muirhead.

Glasshoughton Welfare struck twice at the death in an incredible 2-1 victory at home to Westella VIP. Westella led after half an hour through Alex Wood but Glasshoughton struck twice in the final minute through Reece Lucas and Brett Lucas.

Eccleshill United were 1-0 victors at Hallam with Joe Firth hitting a 74th-minute winner.