Guiseley AFC: Wasteful Lions have to settle for a draw

Guiseley match saver Nicky Boshell tangles with Billy Clifford of Boreham Wood.
Guiseley match saver Nicky Boshell tangles with Billy Clifford of Boreham Wood.
Have your say

BOSS Mark Bower was left to rue Guiseley’s wastefulness in front of goal after the Lions salvaged a last-gasp 1-1 draw at home to Saturday’s fifth-bottom visitors Boreham Wood in National League.

Seventh-bottom Guiseley started the game with a number of attacks with George Maris unlucky to see his curling effort just go over the bar.

Jake Lawlor then saw his goalbound effort cleared off the line by the Boreham Wood defence before Adam Boyes and Tom Craddock combined well without troubling the visiting ’keeper. The second half began with Boreham Wood attacking from the off but Billy Clifford was unable to get his shot on target when placed well on goal.

Yet the visitors led soon after when a well-worked move was finished off by midfielder Clovis Kamdjo. Boreham Wood should have then doubled their lead when Ricky Shakes was put through one-on-one with ’keeper Steve Drench who saved.

As Guiseley pressed for an equaliser, substitute Luke Porritt was unable to get his effort on target but the hosts got their leveller as the clock reached 90 minutes when Joe Devera committed a foul in the area and Nicky Boshell levelled the scores. Bower said: “We had chances in the first half and didn’t take them. In the second half they started to create and got their goal. We need to take the chances to win the game.”

Guiseley return to action on Saturday at FC Halifax Town in the final qualifying round of the FA Cup. The Shaymen remain second-bottom after Saturday’s 2-1 loss at Chester who led 2-0 through James Roberts and Johnny Hunt before Halifax pulled a goal back through Jordan Burrow.

Harrogate Town maintained their National League North title challenge as a battling 2-1 success at fourth-bottom Lowestoft Town kept Simon Weaver’s men third. Brendan Daniels gave Town an early lead when he capitalised on a wayward pass from Adam Smith and rifled a shot past ’keeper Harry Burgoyne.

Lowestoft hit back strongly, forcing a brilliant save from Peter Crook before Jake Reed turned in Danny Crow’s shot for a 38th-minute leveller. Town had the better of the second half but it took until the 82nd minute before sub Jack Emmett shot low into the corner of the net after Lewis Turner’s initial effort had been blocked. Town welcome Grimsby Town next Saturday in the final qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Bradford Park Avenue rose to 17th after a 1-1 draw at third-bottom Gloucester City. George Miller’s 32nd-minute spot kick for Gloucester was matched three minutes later by James Walshaw’s penalty. The hosts finished the game with 10 men after Lewis Hall’s red card. Avenue have no game this weekend.


TADCASTER Albion stayed top of the NCE Premier with Saturday’s 4-0 defeat of visiting Nostell Miners Welfare.

Liam Ormsby notched a double for Albion including one penalty with Jimmy Beadle and Matt Heath adding a goal each.

Pickering Town enjoyed a 5-0 romp at basement boys Brigg Town thanks to two Lewis Taylor penalties plus a Ryan Cooper brace and Ged Dalton strike.

But Pontefract Collieries were walloped 6-0 by visiting Cleethorpes Town while Garforth Town were felled 5-0 at Clipstone.

Thackley were also beaten 3-0 at Staveley Miners Welfare while a Kevy Tazangadzo strike was in vain for Liversedge who were defeated 4-1 by visiting Maltby Main.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare continued their Division One promotion push with a 2-1 success at home to AFC Emley. Samuel Jones and Nash Connolly struck for the hosts with Ashley Flynn on target for Emley.

And Knaresborough Town enjoyed a 4-1 win against visiting Glasshoughton Welfare who led through Luke Durham but were floored by a Blaine Hobson brace plus goals from George Eustace and Graham Whitehead.

A Tom Chamberlain strike failed to save Selby Town from a 2-1 loss at home to Shirebrook Town while Adam Turner netted for Eccleshill United who were chinned 3-1 by visiting AFC Mansfield.

Yorkshire Amateur fell to a 3-1 loss at home to Hall Road Rangers.

In the EvoStik League, a Connor Brunt strike gave Ossett Albion a 1-0 win at home to Farsley Celtic in First Division North.

A late Nathan Curtis brace failed to save Ossett Town from a 3-2 loss at Lancaster City while Harrogate Railway were undone by Michael Roddy’s last-minute winner in a 1-0 loss at home to Northwich Victoria.

Frickley Athletic were beaten 1-0 by visiting Marine in the Premier.