Guiseley AFC: Walshaw’s Lions in seventh heaven

HAT-TRICK HERO: A treble from James Walshaw fired Guiseley into the FA Trophy first round.
HAT-TRICK HERO: A treble from James Walshaw fired Guiseley into the FA Trophy first round.
Have your say

Guiseley produced a dominant performance as they continued their impressive run of form with a 7-0 thrashing of visiting Whitby Town on Saturday.

Lions striker James Walshaw bagged a hat-trick as Steve Kittrick’s side cruised through to the first round of the FA Trophy with the minimum of fuss.

Guiseley opened the scoring with just six minutes on the clock when Kevin Holsgrove converted a Walshaw through ball.

After that, both sides settled into the game with both teams creating half chances, but eventually Guiseley got a second after Andy Holdsworth’s curled effort into the top left hand corner ten minutes before half time.

Soon it was three following a role reversal from the first goal with Walshaw converting Kevin Holsgrove’s 20-yard pass.

The match was then ended as a contest after Guiseley scored three goals in seven minutes after half time.

The Lions brought on Nicky Boshell and Josh Wilson, with the latter making it 4-0 after tapping in with a close range finish.

Then, just four minutes later, Walshaw got his second after the Whitby Town defence was split open.

But Guiseley were not done scoring yet with Boshell making it six with a delightfully placed finish into the bottom corner from 20 yards out.

As the contest flickered out in the cold conditions, Walshaw then had the fitting final say when completing his hat-trick.

Guiseley manager Steve Kittrick enthused: “I hope this result sends a message out to people that we are a good side. We play some good football and defended well.”

Hat-trick hero Walshaw added: “I am very happy with the hat-trick.

“If I did not get the three goals I would have been disappointed as I missed some chances before the final goal.”

Harrogate Town also continued their fine cup form with a 3-1 success at Vauxhall Motors.

Town’s Tom Platt broke the deadlock after 40 minutes when he headed in from a Dave Merris corner.

Straight after the break, Vauxhall’s Tom Rutter levelled after Town failed to clear a corner, only for Platt to bag his second when he slid in another Merris corner at the far post.

Vauxhall’s Leon Clowes was then sent off for a second bookable offence after a foul on Dan Clayton and Town’s Paul Beesley subsequently made hay by chipping the home keeper from the edge of the area.

Also through and flying the EvoStik League flag proudly are Ossett Town who came from behind to defeat visiting Workington 2-1.

Jonny Wright fired Workington into a 13th-minute lead but Shane Kelsey brought Town level five minutes after the hour.

Andrew Catton then sent the vast majority of the 158-strong home faithful wild by netting a dramatic winner six minutes from time.

Neil Aspin’s FC Halifax Town also moved through with a 1-0 success at Cammell Laird.

The game looked destined to finish goalless until Gareth Seddon bagged a winner for the Shaymen 12 minutes from time.

But Bradford Park Avenue crashed out following a 3-1 loss at Stafford Rangers.

Avenue were looking good when Richard Marshall put them ahead one minute before the interval but the hosts turned the contest on its head after the interval.

Ryan Brown levelled after 50 minutes with Stafford then handed a golden chance when Avenue defender Nathan Hotte fouled Fabrice Kasiama inside the box.

Danny Quinn fired home the penalty into the top corner with Kasiama then sealing the contest three minutes from time.

Avenue boss John Deacey was fuming with his side’s lacklustre display which came just one week on from a highly creditable FA Cup performance at Doncaster Rovers.

Deacey fumed: “It was an absolute disgrace. They didn’t prepare themselves correctly, I think they are still playing Doncaster Rovers. I don’t know what the problem is.”

Guiseley loan striker, James Roberts.

Non-League: Lions renegotiate loan deal to keep striker Roberts to end of season