Guiseley AFC: Rothery rescues a point with last kick

Gavin Rothery.
Gavin Rothery.
Have your say

Guiseley’s long unbeaten run is still intact thanks to Gavin Rothery who scored with the last kick of the game in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with visiting Altrincham.

Guiseley made a bright start and the first chance of the game led to the Lions taking the lead.

Alex Johnson got on the scoresheet with just eight minutes on the clock when he flicked home a header after making the most from a Wayne Brooksby free-kick which was looped into the area.

But Altrincham’s aerial threat proved Guiseley’s undoing only ten minutes later.

The visitors equalised when Gianluca Havern bundled the ball in with a header which left Steve Drench – who had kept six clean sheets in a row up to the goal – with no chance.

Despite conceding, Guiseley kept attacking and another Wayne Brooksby cross, this time from a corner, caused havoc.

Johnson poked the ball towards goal but despite beating Altrincham’s goalkeeper captain, Shaun Densmore was able to stab the ball off the line.

Guiseley kept pushing forward trying to regain the lead, but both sides were equal throughout the rest of the half.

After the break, a loose pass by Jake Lawlor saw former Guiseley striker James Walshaw almost take full advantage as his deflected effort was well saved by Drench who nearly saw the ball loop into the net.

And Altrincham kept on creating chances as substitute James Lawrie crossed to Kyle Perry who had a free header but his effort went well over.

Finally Altrincham took the lead and in style with Damian Reeves producing a clever cutback pass to Carl Rogers who slotted home.

But with time running out, Rothery slotted home in from inside a congested penalty area to send the home fans wild.

Guiseley are now unbeaten in 14 games, much to manager Mark Bower’s relief.

“Every player kept on going,” said Bower.

“With the determination we have we felt we would get something and it means so much because we did not want Altrincham to do the double over us.”

Guiseley now sit ninth with the Lions back in action on Boxing Day at Harrogate Town whose winning run came to an end as they lost out 1-0 at Worcester City on Saturday.

The only goal of the game arrived after 12 minutes when Ethan Moore squared the ball to Ebby Nelson-Addy whose finish gave Town custodian Craig MacGillivray no chance.

Town then found home keeper Jose Da Veiga in outstanding form in their search for an equaliser.

Town boss Simon Weaver admitted: “I’m very disappointed with the performance.

“We didn’t start well and there was definitely a lack of a spark. There are no excuses, we didn’t create enough and didn’t pass the ball at all well in comparison with recent displays.”

Town have now dropped to eighth.

Also suffering a defeat on Saturday were Bradford Park Avenue who were defeated 2-0 at Lemington. First-half goals from Liam Daly and Ricky Johnson gave the hosts all three points.

Avenue now sit 12th in the table with John Deacey’s side travelling to Stockport County on Boxing Day.

In Skrill Premier, FC Halifax Town strengthened their impressive form at The Shay with a 1-0 beating of Forest Green Rovers. Marc Roberts’ first half header was enough to give the hosts all three points.

Halifax boss Neil Aspin said: “As a football manager, the only thing you enjoy is three points and certainly at Christmas it sends you in the period, which is a difficult time, with good heart.

“I just think that if we put out what I think is our strongest team then we prove we can compete at this level. We’ve been unfortunate that we’ve had injuries.

“If people are sensible they realise that.

“We need to just get players back and pick up points.

“We’re not guaranteed to win games but it certainly gives us a better chance.”

Halifax – who sit eighth – return to action at Gateshead on Boxing Day.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team