Guiseley AFC revenge is sweet after Forrest chops down Boston

Danny Forrest.
Danny Forrest.
Have your say

Mark Bower was able to claim some revenge after seeing his Guiseley side gain a 1-0 win over Boston United on Saturday.

It was a 3-0 loss for Guiseley last time around away from Nethermoor in Bower’s first game in temporary charge.

Guiseley began brightly and Gavin Rothery almost immediately gave the home side a dream start only for his shot to go across the face of the goal. But the first half was all Guiseley with Boston not being able to produce a single noteworthy chance.

Alex Johnson was fed through but as he looked bound to score keeper Lewis King showed bravery to dive for the ball and was able to prevent the goal with his feet.

Soon Guiseley would have their best chance when Andy Holdsworth burst into the area, and all Rene Steer could do was bring the defender down for the penalty.

But Rothery’s effort was well saved and pushed out of play.

Finally Guiseley’s dominance paid off when Forrest produced a smart turn before firing into the goal after the ball hit the post on its way in.

The second half was a different story as Boston came back into the match and Guiseley had to defend bravely to gain all three points.

Drench had to be on top form to make a number of saves, but the best chance fell to Spencer Weir-Daley who blazed over when inside the area.

The result could have been wrapped up but substitute Craig Hobson could not beat King when one on one.

Guiseley now sit 14th and delighted boss Mark Bower said: “In the first half we were the better team and in the second half we defended magnificently.”

Guiseley are back in action this evening at Bradford Park Avenue who recorded a 2-0 success at Vauxhall Motors on Saturday with Paul Walker at the double.

Avenue now sit eighth.

And Harrogate Town were also celebrating on Saturday with Town 3-2 winners at home to Altrincham.

Town raced into a 3-0 lead after just 22 minutes with Ashley Worsfold bagging a ninth-minute opener.

Michael Woods then extended the lead four minutes later with a magnificent pile-driver and Woods then drilled home his second and Town’s third nine minutes later.

Altrincham got themselves back into the contest six minutes later through Scott Leather’s header but Town then held firm until Alty netted their second 20 minutes from time.

Kyle Perry drilled home to set up a thrilling finale but Town held on for a success that lifted them to 12th.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town suffered a rare home league loss as Woking left with a 4-3 victory. Home strikes from Archie Love, Josh Wilson and Dan Gardner were to no avail as Woking’s Jack Marriot bagged a treble to end Halifax’s unbeaten home league run of 10 games.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team