Guiseley 1 Altrincham 0: Atkinson heads Lions to an historic first victory

Have your say

Rob Atkinson scored Guiseley’s first goal at National League level as the Lions claimed an historic first win in the fifth tier.

Recent signing Atkinson headed home Nicky Boshell’s cross after just 16 minutes and Guiseley proved more than adept at withstanding Altrincham’s attempts at clawing their way back into the game as Mark Bower’s got off the mark in the top rung of the non-league ladder.

Tom Craddock

Tom Craddock

It was a bright start for the hosts as both Adam Boyes and Tom Craddock had efforts during a period of dominance for the hosts.

The Lions were rewarded for their fast start with what proved the only goal of the game as Atkinson headed home.

The hosts continued to have control but Altrincham showed they could create with James Lawrie having an effort saved.

And the visitors were close to equalising when substitute Scott Leather forced Steve Drench to punch the ball clear from under his own cross bar.

Guiseley should have doubled with Adam Boyes strike being well saved by Altrincham keeper Stuart Coburn – sound all night for Altincham – with the rebound then going over the bar.

Both sides contributed to an entertaining game, but it was the hosts who were smart with their counter-attacking play on a night when they claimed an historic first win at the level.

Guiseley: Drench, Lowe, Lockwood, Craddock (Dickinson 87), Brooksby, Lawlor, Boyes, Hatfield, Boshell (Rothery 63), Thompson (Toulson 70), Atkinson. Unused substitutes: Rothery, Hall

Altrincham: Coburn, Densmore, Griffin, Lawrie (Crowther 81), Havern (Leather 30), Moult, Marshall, O’Keefe, Rankine, Reeves (Bowerman 66), Sinnott. Unused substitutes: Griffith, Deasy

Referee: M Salisbury (Lancashire).

In Conference North, Harrogate Town bounced back from Saturday’s defeat at Brackley by beating Gainsborough Trinity 3-1 at Wetherby Road last night.

Trailing 1-0 at half-time, Town cut loose in the second period. Dom Knowles hit the equaliser and then substitute Brendon Daniels got in on the act, putting the hosts on front on 64 and scoring a fine second – and Town’s third – on 89 minutes.