Farsley Celtic see off Rushall to move second

James Walshaw.
James Walshaw.
Have your say

Farsley Celtic continued their excellent start to the season as they sit second in the Evo-Stik Premier Division following Saturday’s 1-0 win at home to Rushall Olympic.

James Walshaw was on the scoresheet once more as he tucked away a first-half penalty, however he also missed a spot-kick in the second half.

Rushall started quickly with a slick move seeing David Moli find Dom Dell before Farsley goalkeeper Graeme McKibbin made a vital stop.

The visitors continued to press forward and almost took the lead midway through the first half when Zak Lilly powered his header just over from Kristian Stewart.

Farsley then went ahead as Walshaw was upended in the penalty area, before stepping up and converting the penalty.

Rushall went searching for the equaliser in the second half and McKibbin once again came to the home side’s rescue, denying Zak Lilly from close range. Farsley were then awarded a second penalty as Zak Lilly committed a foul in the area, however on this occasion Walshaw’s effort was saved by Dan Crane.

The Celts were able to hold on for the three points despite Dom Dell testing McKibbin late on. Celtic travel to South Yorkshire to play Shaw Lane today.

Elsewhere, Brighouse Town secured an impressive win away to Goole AFC, as a brace from Aaron Martin and a Thomas Haigh strike helped Brighouse to a 3-0 win.

Ossett Town were left frustrated as they lost 3-1 at home to Droylsden, despite Alex Peterson equalising for the hosts following Dominic Smith’s opener.

However, Droylsden scored twice in the final minutes through Ciaran Kilheeney and Scott Metcalfe to take the three points.

Tadcaster Albion were also defeated at home, as they lost 2-1 to Prescot Cables. Lloyd Dean and Dominic Marie were the scorers for Prescot, with a late Jason Mycoe strike nothing more than a consolation.

Ossett Albion are yet to record a win as they lost 2-0 to high-flying Atherton Collieries, Kristian Holt and Darrhyl Mason with the goals.

Frickley Athletic also lost on their travels, as Thomas Turton and Joshua March goals gave Alvechurch a 2-0 victory.


PONTEFRACT Collieries maintained top spot in the NCE Premier Division following their 5-0 thrashing of Rainworth MW.

Marcel Chigumira gave Pontefract the lead before a Julian Lawrence own goal made it 2-0. Kane Reece added a third just after the hour mark before a brace from Ashley Emmett completed the scoring.

Hemsworth MW are still hot on their heels thanks to their 2-0 home victory over Bottesford Town. First-half goals from Nash Connolly and Luke Danville were enough to secure the victory.

Ninth-placed Garforth Town suffered a 3-1 defeat at Staveley Miners Welfare. Lee Turner gave Town a 28th-minute lead but it was downhill after that.

A hat-trick from Ryan Blott earned 11th-placed Pickering Town a 4-2 victory at Clipstone.

Blott gave Pickering the lead on three minutes but the away side found themselves 2-1 down after only 12 minutes. But George Bissett brought the scores level after half-time and two further goals from Blott sealed the victory for Pickering.

Thirteenth-placed Liversedge led twice but had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Thackley. Joseph Walton and Devonte Morton scored the goals for Liversedge.

Fourth-from-bottom Harrogate Railway Athletic slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Hall Road Rangers. Jason Price gave Railway the lead but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Leaders Knaresborough Town made it six wins out of six with a 3-0 victory over East Yorkshire Carnegie. Blaine Hobson, Tom Hesketh and Greg Kidd scored the goals.

Second-placed Yorkshire Amateur thrashed Shirebrook Town 5-1. The goals came from Daniel Naidole, Ashley Flynn, T’nique Fishley and Fernando Moke (2).

Elsewhere, Selby Town lost 2-0 at Armthorpe Welfare and Nostell Miners Welfare were defeated 1-0 at Dronfield Town.