FA Trophy: Guiseley edge closer to Wembley date

Guiseley manager Mark Bower.' Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.
Guiseley manager Mark Bower.' Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.
Have your say

Guiseley have been handed another long trip in the third round of the FA Trophy after they were drawn away against Dover Athletic.

Should Halifax Town manage to progress against Barrow, they will face Chester FC at home.

Bradford Park Avenue have been matched up against Stourbridge, although they still need to beat Nantwich Town after their game was called off on Saturday due to the snow.

On Saturday, Guiseley booked their place in the last 16 after a 2-1 success at Dulwich Hamlet.

Nearly 2,000 fans were in attendance to watch the Lions progress past their London-based hosts, who ply their trade in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

Guiseley took the lead with just a quarter of an hour gone when James Hurst stuck a sweet volley which beat the goalkeeper and gave the away side the crucial first goal.

Both sides were creating chances with the home side’s Danny Waldren hitting an effort which was easily saved by the Guiseley keeper Steve Drench.

But the Lions were soon two goals to the good when Anthony Dudley – back on loan from Bury until the end of the season – saw his effort take a deflection which ensured the ball hit the back of the net.

Guiseley could have then added a third but Adam Boyes saw a number of efforts saved by home goalkeeper Phil Wilson.

The custodian’s efforts kept the game alive and just before half-time Mitchell Nelson was able to get his head on to a cross and grab a goal back for Hamlet.

The second half started with both sides pushing forward and the two goalkeepers were kept busy in making a number of good saves.

Guiseley’s Will Hatfield looked to have added to the score towards the end when Danny Boshell’s cross was met by the midfielder with a diving header but his effort went just wide of the goal.

The hosts, who are two division below Guiseley, then looked to have grabbed a replay right at the end with the last chance of the match.

A corner was swung into the area and led to a goalmouth scramble and the ball hit the bar and then the upright as Guiseley were eventually able to hold their lines and clear.

Town’s home tie with Barrow was postponed and is scheduled to be played on Tuesday night.

Bradford Park Avenue play their second round tie on Wednesday night.