Evo-Stik: Farsley win back to back for first time this season

Frickley's Gavin Allott. PIC: Allan McKenzie/YWNG
Frickley's Gavin Allott. PIC: Allan McKenzie/YWNG
Have your say

Farsley Celtic won back-to-back games for the first time in 2018 as they ground out a 1-0 victory over Stafford Rangers, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

Ryan Watson’s second-half strike was enough for the hosts, who, in all honesty, should have won the game more comfortably.

Frickley's Jacob Hazell. PIC: Allan McKenzie/YWNG

Frickley's Jacob Hazell. PIC: Allan McKenzie/YWNG

The Celts started the game quickly and Nathan Cartman came close to breaking the deadlock, his delicious, curling effort from the edge of the box striking the post. The visitors then had their best chance through Kyle Perry, but Graeme McKibbin saved well.

Stafford shot-stopper Adam Whitehouse produced two wonderful saves just before half-time to keep the scores level. He firstly saved Ryan Watson’s volley from point-blank range at the far post, before he had to be at his best to tip Cartman’s effort wide following a terrific Watson cross. Less than ten minutes into the second half Farsley broke the deadlock, as Watson’s free-kick took a deflection off the wall and flew into the back of the net past a stranded Whitehouse.

The Celts had an excellent chance to add a second in injury time as Chris Atkinson’s clearance found Cartman who was denied by a good Whitehouse save, but Farsley were able to see out the closing moments for a deserved three points.

Frickley Athletic played out an enthralling 4-4 draw with Kidsgrove Athletic in Division 1 South. Leon Ashman, Tim Sanders and Anthony Malbon fired the hosts into a three-goal lead, before braces from Jacob Hazell and Gavin Allott saw Frickley complete the turnaround. Anthony Malbon scored the all-important equaliser, before Hazel missed an injury-time penalty.

In Division 1 North, Brighouse Town blew a 3-1 lead as they drew 3-3 with Bamber Bridge. Waide Fairhurst had given Brighouse the lead before Keiran Charnock levelled. Aaron Martin and Daniel Grimshaw thought they had given Brighouse the win before Gary Pett and Regan Linney struck to earn a point.

An Aaron Hardy penalty was enough for Tadcaster Albion in their 1-0 victory over Kendal Town, whilst Ossett Town lost 2-0 at home to Hyde United, David Brown and Luke Porritt with the goals for Hyde.