Defeated Lions will face Fylde in play-offs

Liam Dickinson
Liam Dickinson
Have your say

Guiseley must tackle Vanarama North’s second-placed side AFC Fylde in this week’s play-offs after a final day 4-2 loss at Oxford City left them in fifth.

The Lions will welcome Fylde to Nethermoor on Wednesday evening with the return leg taking place three days later.

Oxford squandered a golden chance from the spot after Liam Dickinson had conceded a foul in the area as Adi Yussuf’s effort was well saved by Guiseley keeper Steve Dickinson.

But there was no denying the hosts when Lee Henderson headed the ball past Steve Dickinson before the Lions lost Luke Porritt to injury. It was soon 2-0 to Oxford when Yussuf made up for having his penalty saved after he turned smartly and doubled the hosts’ lead.

The second half started with Guiseley getting an indirect free-kick due to a backpass being picked up by Oxford keeper Mark Scott. Despite nearly every City player being positioned on the line, Liam Dickinson managed to halve the deficit.

Guiseley drew level when Adam Boyes produced a fine effort which flew past Scott but Oxford produced a sting in the tail. First, Tom Winters put the home side back in front, with Winters then assisting Yussuf for his second of the game.

Lions boss Mark Bower said: “I think for large parts we did okay. We did well to get the score back to 2-2. The lads worked hard and we’ll now have to give it our all against AFC Fylde. They are a good side who could have gone up but we will be ready for Wednesday.”

Fifteenth-placed Harrogate Town’s season ended on a disappointing note when they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at 11th-placed Stockport County. Paul Clayton gave Town an early lead when he shot past Ian Ormson and Jordan Thewlis, Lewis Turner and Dave McGurk all went close to doubling the lead. But a 35-yard screamer from Chris Churchyard saw County equalise on the stroke of half time. A more even second period saw County rattle Town’s crossbar while at the other end Scott Duxbury blocked a goal-bound shot from Ryan Fallowfield. County had the last laugh when Robert Lofthouse’s last-minute free-kick was headed in by Danny Glover.

Bradford Park Avenue finished their season in 13th after a goalless draw at FA Trophy winners North Ferriby United who end up in tenth.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town finished the season in ninth, concluding with a dramatic 3-2 loss at 10-man Woking who finish in seventh.

A Scott McManus strike and Will Hatfield penalty were in vain for Town who were stung by Scott Rendell’s late penalty and Yemi Odubade’s last-minute winner, in spite of Woking’s first scorer Josh Payne being sent off.


Tadcaster Albion’s title dreams were all but ended after Saturday’s 3-2 loss at Cleethorpes Town in the NCE Premier.

Albion took an eighth-minute lead through Daniel Gray’s penalty but a second-half brace from the home side’s Louis Grant supported by a Brody Robertson strike turned the game on its head. Andrew Milne hit back for Albion late on but his effort proved only a consolation and leaders Shaw Lane now need two points from their last two games to seal the title.

Shaw Lane could only draw 1-1 with visiting Nostell but host Cleethorpes tomorrow before welcoming basement boys Glasshoughton Welfare this Saturday. Albion visit Nostell tomorrow evening.

Glasshoughton sprung a 2-0 surprise at Bridlington Town at the weekend with goals from Declan Walker and Thomas Scott. And Stephen Wales netted for Nostell in their surprise draw at Shaw Lane who led through Lee Morris.

Liversedge were 3-1 winners at home to Pickering Town through an Andrew Wood double and Joel Farrar strike. Pickering led through Lewis Taylor. Thackley were sunk 3-2 at Heanor Town with a Mike Garrod brace in vain.

Clipstone sealed the Division One title at the expense of Pontefract Collieries who were chinned 4-2 by visiting AFC Mansfield. Nigel Danby and Matthew Marsden notched for Ponte who are already promoted. Clipstone obliged 1-0 at Winterton Rangers. Hemsworth Miners Welfare won a 5-2 thriller at home to Yorkshire Amateur, inspired by a Nicholas Guest brace against Ammers strikes from Joel Hughes and Harrison Blakey.

Knaresborough Town triumphed 3-1 at Eccleshill United through goals from Colin Heath, Will Lenehan and Hiliard Serrao in the face of a home Charlie Flaherty strike. Craig Muirhead’s winner gave Selby Town a 1-0 verdict at home to Grimsby Borough.


Brighouse Town ended their season with a decent 2-2 draw at home to play-off hopefuls Northwich Victoria in the Evo-Stik League’s First Division North.

Brighouse have finished 14th but held the division’s fourth-placed side who led after 21 minutes through Josh Amis. Town’s Ernest Boafo levelled three minutes before the break and Brighouse were on course for victory when Ryan Hall notched three minutes before the hour. Gary Burnett levelled for Vics with 17 minutes left.

Improving Harrogate Railway put the gloss on an eighth-place finish with a final day 3-0 win at home to Lancaster City. Rail’s Dan Thirkell and Jordan Armstrong both netted from the penalty spot either side of an Adam Baker strike.

But Farsley AFC finish 12th after a 3-1 loss at third-placed Bamber Bridge with an Aiden Savory effort in vain for the Villagers.

Ossett Albion finished 17th after a 2-0 reverse at home to Mossley with Ossett Town 16th after a 5-0 hiding at champions Salford City.

Scarborough Athletic missed out on a play-off position by just two points despite a final day 3-0 win at Kendal Town. Thomas Corner, Ben Middleton and Ryan Blott struck for the Seadogs.


Frickley Athletic sealed Evo-Stik League Premier Division survival by the skin of their teeth through Saturday’s 1-1 draw at home to high-flying Curzon Ashton.

With Stamford and Marine both winning, anything less than a point would have seen the Blues go down but the hosts led after 31 minutes through Macauley Parkinson. Curzon’s Niall Cummins hit back 15 minutes from time but the spoils were shared meaning Marine go down alongside Witton Albion – who lost 3-2 at Stamford – along with already relegated Trafford and Belper Town.

Whitby Town finished 13th, concluding their season on a high as James Brown struck in a 1-0 win at Kings Lynn Town while Goole AFC ended up 16th in First Division South on the back of a final day 4-0 loss at Loughborough Dynamo.