Conference North: Guiseley happy to salvage a hard-earned point

Oli Johnson
Oli Johnson
Have your say

North Ferriby United and Guiseley shared the points in a thrilling 4-4 draw at Grange Lane on Saturday.

Last season these two sides faced each other four times, with Guiseley winning each time in tough battles including in the play-off semi-finals.

And it was Guiseley who made the perfect start when a mix-up between Danny Hone and goalkeeper Adam Nicklin led to in-form striker Adam Boyes scoring with just two minutes on the clock.

But Ferriby were back on level terms within two minutes when Nathan Jarman delivered a cross and Liam King was able to tap it in.

Ferriby then took the lead after Jason St Juste delivered a cross which was met by Tom Denton who headed home.

While Guiseley were unable to keep their lead early on, neither could Ferriby who conceded two minutes later with Boyes getting his second after showing good persistence.

With the sides going in level at the interval it was the home side who started the second half with a bang.

Ferriby took the lead just before the 50th minute when St Juste was able to get the ball past Steve Drench and into the back of the net.

And just moments later St Juste’s cross was pushed out by Drench but into Denton’s path who scored.

Guiseley, though, were soon back in the game with Danny Lowe scoring with a chip, giving the Lions hope with over half an hour left to play.

Just when it looked like Ferriby would gain their first win against Guiseley, substitute Oli Johnson was found in the area from a Wayne Brooksby corner and he made no mistake and ensured both sides left with a point. Guiseley manager and former player Mark Bower admitted the high-scoring game was tough to witness from the dugout.

“It wasn’t an easy one to watch,” said Bower.

“Within 10 minutes of the second half we had given away cheap free-kick and were 4-2 down but credit to the lads who didn’t give up and I’m pleased to get a point in the end.”

Guiseley now sit fifth in the table and are back in action on Saturday at Grimsby Town in the final qualifying round of he FA Cup.

Ferriby, who are 10th in the table, are also on FA Cup duty next Saturday at Warrington Town.

There was no joy for Harrogate Town on Saturday as they slipped to a 2-0 loss at Worcester City.

The game was goalless at the break but the hosts took all three points with Nick Wright’s 57th-minute opener followed by a Jordan Murphy finish nine minutes later. Fifth-bottom Town return to league action next Saturday when 16th-placed Brackley Town visit the CNG.

Bradford Park Avenue drew 1-1 at Hednesford Town on Saturday.

Marvin Robinson gave the hosts a fifth-minute lead but Billy Priestley rescued a point for Avenue 18 minutes from time.

Avenue are 17th in the table and return to league action on Saturday, November 1 at home to Tamworth.

In the Conference, FC Halifax Town returned to winning ways on Saturday with a 2-0 win at home to Kidderminster Harriers.

The Shaymen took the lead after 34 minutes when Richard Peniket fed Lois Maynard who fired past goalkeeper Danny Lewis.

Then, just five minutes later, Peniket intercepted on defender Cheyenne Dunkley’s weak header back before rounding visiting goalkeeper Lewis to double the advantage.

Halifax defender Steve Williams was delighted with the victory and said: “I think it was a good performance in general.

“I think we defended well and we put the goals in the back of the net up front as well, so all around I thought it was a well-deserved win and it was good to bounce back from how we have been playing the past couple of weeks.”

The Shaymen now sit second and five points behind leaders Barnet.

Halifax are on FA Cup duty next Saturday at Chorley, who sit third in Conference North.


OSSETT Town booked their place in the FA Trophy first qualifying round by edging a 1-0 success at Brighouse Town.

Dave Merris netted a 73rd-minute winner in Saturday’s tie, with Town drawn at home to Mossley in the next round. Ossett Albion, though, were defeated 2-1 at New Mills despite Darol Lucas giving the visitors a 26th-minute lead.

Harrogate Railway were dumped out after a 3-2 loss at home to Spennymoor Town. Rail’ strikes from Malachi Farquharson and Nathan Cartman failed to stop the Station View side’s exit.

Goole AFC went through as a Ben Turner strike sealed a 1-0 win at Burscough. Goole will visit Prescot Cables in the next round.

In First Division North, Farsley AFC’s promotion push was dealt a blow in a 3-1 loss at fellow high-flying rivals Scarborough Athletic. First-half goals from James Beadle and Ryan Blott put the Seadogs in control and while Marcus Edwards put Farsley back in it, Gary Bradshaw then hit the home side’s third.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic kicked clear of the dropzone with a 2-0 win at home to Belper Town. Gavin Allott bagged both goals with his 45th-minute strike followed by a penalty ten minutes from time.

Play-off hopefuls Whitby Town romped to a 5-1 at Rushall Olympic with a Steven Snaith brace supported by strikes from Lee Mason Liam Shepherd and Craig Farrell.


A LIAM Radford double allowed Pontefract Collieries to continue their Division One title charge with a 2-0 win at home to Bottesford Town.

Radford bagged his first after 28 minutes before netting from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time.

Ponte’ sit third and five points behind leaders AFC Emley who have played two games more. Emley edged a 1-0 win at fourth-placed Eccleshill United thanks to a 25th-minute Paul Sykes penalty.

Sixth-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare were all set to jump to fourth until hosts AFC Mansfield salvaged a late 1-1 draw.

Miners led after 38 minutes through Jason Yates but Joe Naylor levelled seven minutes from time.

Yorkshire Amateur jumped to 10th with a 5-1 romp at Hall Road Rangers. Craig Heard bagged a hat-trick for Ammers whose Joel Hughes was at the double including with a penalty.

Mitchell Hamilton’s last-minute strike gave Knaresborough Town a 3-2 win at Lincoln Moorlands Railway. Hamilton gave ‘Boro’ a seventh-minute lead with Craig Radcliffe also on target for the visitors.

Selby Town were downed 4-1 by rock-bottom Hallam who netted their first points of the season. Ryan Robinson struck for the hosts.

Tadcaster Albion remain three points clear at the top of the Premier following a 1-0 success at Athersley Recreation. Liam Ormsby was the hero with a 20th-minute winner.

But there was disappointment for mid-table Garforth Town who lost out 5-2 at home to Maltby Main. Strikes from Tawanda Rupere and Nick Black failed to save the hosts.

Nostell Miners Welfare are now five points adrift at the foot of the division after a 6-1 hammering at Worksop Town.

Mark Simpson gave Nostell a 10th-minute lead but their day then went pear shaped with second-bottom Armthorpe Welfare also causing a shock by obliging 1-0 at home to high-flying Handsworth Parramore.

Third-bottom Glasshoughton Welfare were defeated 3-0 at Cleethorpes Town while fifth-bottom Liversedge lost 3-0 at home to Barton Town Old Boys.

Thackley were beaten 4-0 at Albion Sports and Pickering Town were defeated 2-0 by visiting Staveley Miners Welfare, while Bridlington Town drew 0-0 at Retford United.

Grimsby Town manager Marcus Bignot shouts instructions during his time as Grimsby Town manager. Picture: Getty Images

Guiseley announce new management team