Burscough bite back to force Lions into replay

Danny Lowe.
Danny Lowe.
Have your say

Guiseley FACE another clash with Burscough tomorrow evening after conceding a late equaliser in Saturday’s 2-2 draw in the FA Trophy tie at Victoria Park.

The Lions will have left Saturday’s match frustrated after having bags of possession and good chances but being unable to finish off their resilient opponents who made it 2-2 near the end.

The two sides will lock horns again at Nethermoor tomorrow evening with a place in the second round awaiting the winners.

Torrential rain derailed the day’s football programme and even threatened to have the game called off but the Burscough pitch was able to withstand the weather throughout although the wind and rain at times made it difficult for both sides.

But Guiseley took the lead when Tom Craddock was able to make contact with an Adam Boyes cross, his effort a smart finish as after the first real attack of the match the visitors were ahead.

Guiseley then thought they had doubled their lead when Craddock produced a good finish but the offside flag was raised.

The away side were unable to add to their lead during the remainder of the first half and at the start of the second period Gavin Rothery saw an effort go just wide.

With Guiseley only being one goal up, there was always a chance Burscough could equalise and they did from the penalty spot.

Michael Monaghan was fouled in the area by Danny Lowe and Monaghan was able to step up and score past Guiseley keeper Dan Atkinson.

But Guiseley retook the lead almost immediately when Lowe fired from 20 yards out and the ball flew into the corner of the goal. The Lions looked to be heading for the second round but the home side’s Will Jones had other ideas and hit a leveller in the 88th minute.

Other action was few and far between on Saturday with FC Halifax Town’s FA Trophy hosting of Tamworth called off just under two hours before kick-off. The two sides are set to try again tomorrow evening at The Shay, subject to final approval.

Bradford Park Avenue’s home first round tie against Lincoln City also falling victim to a waterlogged pitch.

The game will now be played on Wednesday with a 7.45pm kick-off, weather permitting. The new date means Avenue’s home league game against Curzon Ashton has been postponed for a third time.

Harrogate Town’s home clash with Stalybridge Celtic was also postponed in Vanarama National North with seventh-placed Town back in action next Saturday at home to 16th-placed Brackley Town.


THACKLEY featured in one of just four surviving games in the NCE League on Saturday as the Dennyboys took a 2-2 draw from their trip to high-flying Premier Division hosts Bridlington Town.

Ryan Farrell gave Thackley a 31st-minute lead but Andy Norfolk levelled almost instantly for the hosts with the Bridlington marksman making it 1-1 inside the same minute.

Ben Cohen then put Thackley back in front five minutes before the interval but Tim Taylor struck an 85th-minute leveller for Bridlington to move them up to third.

The point for Thackley moved them up to 15th.

Every other Premier Division clash postponed with the league’s remaining games coming outside of West Yorkshire in Division One.

With leaders Hemsworth Miners Welfare not in action, second-placed Hull United failed to fully cash in as they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to 13th-placed Teversal.

Hemsworth are now five points clear and with a game in hand.

Hosts Grimsby Borough and Westella VIP also shared a 2-2 draw while Shirebook Town enjoyed a 6-3 victory at home to Rossington Main.

Sheffield were the sole Yorkshire team to play in the Evo-Stik League and the Steel City side made the most of their opportunity by sealing a 3-2 success at Newcastle Town in First Division South.

Sheffield built a 3-0 lead with goals from Devante Jacobs after only eight minutes, Lee Cooksey in the 53rd minute and Benny Igiehon two minutes later.

Newcastle were gifted an own-goal by Daniel White and Harry Clayton’s strike made it a nervous finale, but Sheffield held on for three points which carried them into the top 10, four places above their hosts.

The victory gave Sheffield – managed by Andy Kiwomya – their first league win in nine games.