Bradford Park Avenue out as Guiseley march on with sense of deja vu

Have your say

Guiseley progressed to the third round of the FA Trophy after defeating Bradford Park Avenue 3-0 at Nethermoor Park on Saturday.

The outcome was an identical scoreline to the match between the two sides in Skrill North last Monday at the Horsfall Stadium.

Guiseley dominated the opening period with Wayne Brooksby seeing his header cleared off the line from a corner.

But just moments later, Ben Parker got on the scoresheet with just nine minutes on the clock after he was able to slam home from a Gavin Rothery corner. For the rest of the half, it was all Guiseley as Danny Hall hit the post with a sweet half-volley.

Rothery then saw two fine strikes go just wide while Alex Johnson and Danny Boshell had chances that made Avenue’s keeper John Lamb make saves.

While the second half was a more even contest, Avenue had the best chance with Steve Drench making a wonderful one-handed save from a Paul Walker strike. But the contest was all but ended when Richard Marshall was sent off for a rash tackle on Craig Hobson which forced the referee to give him his second booking – moments after Avenue had been denied a penalty.

It seemed the game would end 1-0 but Guiseley scored two late goals in stoppage time as first of all Rothery was able to slot home a Brooksby pass into the back of the net.

Then Alex Johnson was on hand in the next and last attack of the match to add more gloss to the scoreline. The draw for the third round takes place today.

Guiseley boss Mark Bower said: “With the wind conditions it was certainly a game of two halves. In the first half we did really well, but we didn’t take our chances and in the second half they came back into it.”

Avenue are back in Skrill North action at Hednesford Town tomorrow with Guiseley welcoming Altrincham on Saturday.

Making fluent progress in Skrill North are Harrogate Town who enjoyed a 4-2 success in front of a bumper crowd at home to Gloucester City on Saturday.

Fans were admitted for just £1 with under-18s free and 1,428 supporters descended on the CNG.

And it was hat-trick hero Michael Woods who proved the star of the show with the striker breaking the deadlock two minutes before half-time and then adding a second one minute after the interval.

The hat-trick was completed on the hour to make it 3-0 to the hosts with Craig Nelthorpe’s strike putting Town out of sight with 20 minutes remaining.

Gloucester then pulled two goals back through Matt Liddard and Scott Wilson but the damage was done with Town now up to sixth. Town are back in action at Worcester City next Saturday.

In Skrill Premier, FC Halifax Town bounced back to form as goals from Joe Ironside and Josh Wilson gave them a 2-1 success at Dartford.

SIDELINED: Guiseley's Will Hatfield. Picture: Steve Riding.

Guiseley boss Cox striving to bring in new culture at Nethermoor