Bower ‘embarrassed’ as Guiseley crash at Boston

NOT IMPRESSED: Guiseley boss Mark Bower. Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.
NOT IMPRESSED: Guiseley boss Mark Bower. Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.
Have your say

BOSS Mark Bower was left “embarrassed” as Guiseley lost further ground in the Conference North title race after suffering a 5-1 loss at Boston United on Saturday.

Boston began brightly, immediately forcing Guiseley goalkeeper Steve Drench to make a good double save from Dayle Southwell.

And the Lions were behind soon after when Kaine Felix scored with a simple tap-in after Nicky Walker’s effort was well saved.

Guiseley started to create chances after conceding with Alex Johnson and Nicky Boshell both firing wide.

Danny Lowe then volleyed an effort across the face of goal, but the Lions just could not make the breakthrough.

And just before half-time, Mark Jones took advantage of a loose back pass to double the home side’s lead going into the second half.

The start of the second period saw Boston grab another goal with Southwell converting a chance.

Things then went from bad to worse for Guiseley when Southwell got his second.

The Lions finally gained a consolation as the game neared its conclusion with Gavin Rothery netting.

But to sum up a day to forget Boston got a fifth when Alex Simmonds chipped Drench in added time.

Bower fumed: “I’m embarrassed by the result for it to end 5-1. We gave away gift-wrapped goals and could have lost by more.”

Guiseley remain fourth but lost further ground with second-placed Barrow winning 3-0 at Oxford City and third-placed Tamworth obliging 4-1 at home to Stalybridge Celtic.

The Lions are back in action on Saturday when rock-bottom Hyde visit Nethermoor.

Harrogate Town fared better on Saturday as they eased their relegation fears with a 1-0 success at eighth-placed Solihull Moors. Andy Gascoigne bagged the only goal of the game in first-half stoppage time to give Town their first victory at Solihull since 2007.

The win propelled Town to 14th and seven points clear of the drop zone ahead of next Saturday’s trip to seventh-bottom Gainsborough Trinity.

Bradford Park Avenue’s home clash with Colwyn Bay was postponed due to lingering snow but second-bottom Avenue are back in action on Wednesday evening at home to fifth-placed Chorley.

FC Halifax Town drew 2-2 at Dartford in the FA Trophy on Saturday to set up a home replay tomorrow evening.

Richard Peniket and Matthew Pearson goals had Halifax 2-0 up but Ryan Hayes and Rory McAuley hit back for Dartford.


HARROGATE Railway jumped to fourth in the Evo-Stik League First Division North with Saturday’s 2-1 success at mid-table Bamber Bridge.

Fatlum Ibrahimi gave Rail’ a 14th-minute lead but Alistair Waddecar levelled 13 minutes later.

However, in an all-action first half, only another six minutes passed before Rail’s Stephen Bromley hit what would prove the winner.

At the other end of the table, Brighouse Town kicked further clear of the drop zone with an impressive 3-1 success at home to former leaders Salford City who have now dropped to second.

In front of a gate of 515, Leon Henry put Brighouse ahead after 20 minutes before Gareth Seddon equalised one minute before the break.

But Ernest Boafo’s 58th-minute penalty put Brighouse back in front and the points were sealed through Ryan Hall’s strike six minutes after the hour.

Saturday was a miserable day for both Ossett clubs with fifth-bottom Ossett Town felled 3-0 at ninth-placed Mossley whose Thomas Pratt, with a brace, and Kyle McGonigle both netted in the first half.

Sixth-bottom Ossett Albion were defeated 2-0 by third-placed visitors Darlington 1883 whose Graeme Armstrong and Stephen Thompson both netted. Farsley AFC’s hosting of Scarborough Athletic was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, as was the clash between Ramsbottom United and Frickley Athletic.

In First Division South, mid-table Goole AFC fell to a 3-1 reverse at home to third-bottom Kidsgrove Athletic.

First-half goals from Ryan Brown and Wayne Johnson had Kidsgrove in control before Niall Barker hit back for Goole five minutes after the hour.

However, Anthony Malbon made sure of an away victory when he converted a 90th-minute penalty.


TADCASTER Albion moved eight points clear at the top of the NCE Premier with Saturday’s 2-0 success at second-bottom Glasshoughton Welfare.

As one of six games in the top flight which survived the weather, Callum Ward fired Albion ahead one minute before the interval with David Brown making the points safe seven minutes from time.

Thackley also had their shooting boots on as a 4-1 success at home to Maltby Main elevated them to 14th, one spot above Maltby.

Nick McNally blasted in a 40-minute hat-trick for the hosts which was sandwiched by a Mike Garrod penalty.

Brian Cusworth’s 20th-minute strike initially put Maltby ahead.

Pickering Town, though, remain 11th after losing 3-2 at home to Albion Sports. Home strikes from Lewis Taylor and Ryan Cooper, who at the time both equalised, were in vain.

Fifth-bottom Liversedge drew 1-1 at sixth-bottom Parkgate. Eli Hey struck after 10 minutes for Sedge but Ryan Johnson levelled 16 minutes later.

Sixth-placed Bridlington Town beat 13th-placed visitors Athersley Recreation 3-2 thanks to goals from Will Waudby, Chris Adams and an Ashley Allanson penalty.

Pontefract Collieries moved one point behind Division One leaders AFC Emley with Saturday’s 3-0 success at Selby Town.

Andrew Catton, Luke Forgione and Mark Whitehouse netted within nine first-half minutes for Ponte’ who are third and only behind second-placed Hemsworth Miners Welfare on goal difference.

Emley were defeated 2-1 by fourth-placed visitors Clipstone who are three points off top spot and have four games in hand. Ashley Flynn’s 45th-minute penalty failed to prevent Emley’s defeat.

Eleventh-placed Eccleshill United drew 1-1 at fourth-bottom Winterton Rangers for whom Bradley McKay levelled three minutes after the hour, six minutes after Charlie Flaherty’s opener.