Bower can draw the positives from loss

Mark Bower
Mark Bower
Have your say

Guiseley’s long trip down to Gloucestershire saw them come back with nothing as they lost 3-0 to top of table Forest Green Rovers in the National League.

Guiseley’s long trip down to Gloucestershire saw them come back with nothing as they lost 3-0 to top of table Forest Green Rovers in the National League.

The setback condemned the Lions to their third defeat in a row with 18th-placed Guiseley back in action on Wednesday evening at tenth-placed Wrexham.

The Lions began brightly with Gavin Rothery and Wayne Brooksby combining with the latter firing just wide while the first opportunity for the hosts went to Keanu Marsh-Brown who saw his goal-bound effort deflected wide.

Kurtis Guthrie then got in behind the away side’s defence but his effort was scuffed wide.

But Forest Green took the lead when Jon Parkin’s cross found Elliott Frear who was able to get the ball into the goal.

Despite conceding Guiseley kept on pressing with Adam Boyes, George Marris and Will Hatfield chasing lost causes.

Parkin, though, was then well denied by Guiseley keeper Steven Drench with his long range free-kick being a decent effort.

And early into the second half Guiseley fell 2-0 down when Guthrie was brought down in the area. Parkin stepped up and expertly fired the ball into the back of the net leaving Drench with no chance.

As much as Guiseley tried, Rovers were then able to pick them off and grabbed a third with substitute Aaron O’Connor punishing Guiseley with a smart finish.

Guiseley manager Mark Bower was pleased with his side’s display if not the result and said: “The performance was good. We knew they would have chances and the penalty decision changes the game for us.”

FC Halifax Town dropped to second bottom with a 3-0 loss at home to a Woking side who moved up to 12th.

The Shaymen are back in action tomorrow at seventh-placed Grimsby.

Harrogate Town, meanwhile, moved into the final qualifying round of the FA Cup with a workmanlike 3-0 win over visiting Burscough.

An eleventh minute strike from Louis Swain put Town in the driving seat and their task was made easier on the stroke of half-time when Mike Monaghan was sent off after a dangerous tackle on Cecil Nyoni.

Two goals midway through the second half sealed Town’s win.

On the hour, Dominic Knowles lobbed a Peter Crooks clearance over Calvin Hare and soon afterwards Burscough’s Matty Devine sliced a Brendan Daniels centre into his own net to make it three.

Town, who are third in National North, now await news of today’s draw and return to league action Saturday at sixth-bottom Lowestoft Town.

Bradford Park Avenue are also in today’s final qualifying round draw after Saturday’s impressive 1-1 stalemate at Salford City set up Wednesday night’s eagerly awaited replay at the Horsfall. Salford led after nine minutes through Richie Allen but Avenue levelled with a Richard Marshall penalty on the hour.


BRIGHOUSE Town were denied their fifth home victory of the season by a last-minute equaliser in a 2-2 draw with Lancaster City in the EvoStik League First Division North.

Brighouse led 2-1 through Ryan Hall and Adam Wilson but Aaron Taylor (90) broke home hearts with his equaliser.

Farsley Celtic led after four minutes through Lewis Nightingale at home to Spennymoor Town but had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

And Harrogate Railway were blitzed 6-3 at Warrington Town with Rail’ 5-0 down before responding through a Tom Owen brace and Charlie Clamp strike.

Christopher Baker’s home strike was in vain for Ossett Town who were chinned 5-1 by Witton Albion while rivals Ossett Albion lost out 4-0 at Prescot Cables.

In the Premier, Christopher Wood struck a last-minute leveller for Frickley Athletic in their 1-1 draw at Skelmersdale.

Tadcaster Albion stayed top of the NCE Premier as Josh Greening’s strike sealed a 1-0 triumph at Retford United. Goals from Ryan Cooper and Ged Dalton saw Pickering Town to a 2-0 success at home to Armthorpe Welfare while Mark Simpson hit the winner as Garforth Town obliged 1-0 at Maltby Main.

But a Callum Barron strike was in vain for hosts Liversedge who were defeated 4-1 by Bridlington Town while Thackley lost 2-0 to visiting Clipstone. Hemsworth MW’s Bill Law and Shane Kelsey sealed a 2-1 win at Hallam. A George Eustance treble led Knaresborough Town to a 5-3 triumph at home to Eccleshill United while Thomas Rose and Carl Heard struck for Yorkshire Amateur in a 2-0 win at Rossington Main. An Ashley Flynn double earned hosts AFC Emley a 2-2 draw with Hull United but Nathan Perks’ brace failed to save Glasshoughton Welfare from a 3-2 loss at home to Bottesford Town. Selby lost 3-1 at leaders AFC Mansfield.