Bantams loanee bags point for Guiseley

Adam Boyes.
Adam Boyes.
Have your say

GUISELEY gained a battling point away at Maidstone United but are still waiting for their first win of the season after Saturday’s 1-1 draw in National League.

Alex Fisher gave mid-table Maidstone a 14th-minute but Bradford City loanee Reece Webb-Foster impressed after coming as a substitute and levelled 20 minutes into the second half.

Guiseley made a bright start with Oli Johnson seeing his early effort saved before Simon Walton fired over when well positioned.

Adam Boyes and Michael Rankine were also causing problems as they tried to strike up a partnership for the bottom-placed Lions.

But despite the positive play, Guiseley found themselves a goal down with 14 minutes on the clock, when Bobby-Joe Taylor’s pass found Fisher in a good position and he was able to slot the ball past Jonny Maxted.

United then thought they had doubled their lead when Liam Enver-Marum headed home, but Guiseley were let-off by an offside flag.

The Lions, though, were not dismayed by the chances the hosts were creating or the fact they had to use all three of their substitutes before the 45th minute due to injuries.

Guiseley passed the ball well with Jordan Preston being at the heart of matters during the latter stages of the first half.

Bradford City loanee Reece Webb-Foster was one of the Guiseley players brought on from the bench due to an injury and he created two chances for himself in the early stages of the second half.

First Webb-Foster was found in the area but his header lacked any real direction before he then made room for himself on the turn but again was not able to direct his attempt at goal.

But the young forward would not miss at the third attempt as he produced a fine effort that curled into the corner of the goal and drew the away side level.

Reece-Foster continued to impress for the rest of the match but was unable to find a chance to add to his initial effort.

And in the end Guiseley had Maxted to thank after he made another good save to keep out Yemi Odubade who was one-on-one with the ‘keeper.

Jamie Coyle then hit the post as the hosts had their chances to net a winner.

Guiseley remain bottom of the pile – eight points adrift of safety – with the Lions back in action next Saturday at home to ninth-placed Macclesfield Town.

Elsewhere, North Ferriby United dropped into the relegation zone after a 2-0 loss at new leaders Dagenham & Redbridge. Ferriby return to action on Saturday at home to seond-bottom Southport.


FARSLEY Celtic stormed into the third qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup with Saturday’s 2-0 success at local rivals Tadcaster Albion.

James Walshaw got the visitors up and running with an 11th-minute penalty after Liam Shepherd upended Richard Marshall just inside the box. The Celts then doubled their lead two minutes into the second half when Marshall’s fierce looping header across goal was dropped by goalkeeper Charlie Murphy and Paul Walker reacted quickest to turn in from five yards.

Taddy were awarded a penalty of their own with 20 minutes to go when Ryan Serrant clipped the heels of Tom Corner but Corner saw his spot-kick well saved by Graham McKibbin. Farsley are now just two rounds away from the first round proper and the draw for the third qualifying round will take place today.

Conference North outfit Harrogate Town face a replay at home to NCE League outfit Bridlington Town tomorrow night after Saturday’s 1-1 draw.

Joel Sutton gave Bridlington a shock 19th-minute lead and Town were heading out until Joe Leesley equalised four minutes from time.

But Bradford Park Avenue exited the competition after a 1-0 loss at home to Conference North high-flyers Salford City.

James Poole bagged the winning goal 18 minutes from time.

FC Halifax Town cruised into the next round with a 5-0 romp at Ashton Athletic.

The Shaymen’s Tom Denton, Danny Hone, Jordan Sinnott, Alex Simmons and Richard Peniket all bagged a goal each.

Elsewhere, Ossett Town’s run was ended in crushing fashion as a Luke Ashworth treble inspired visiting FC United of Manchester to a 7-1 victory. A Tyrone Gay strike was in vain for the hosts.

Whitby Town are also out after going down to a 1-0 defeat at Spennymoor Town whose Glen Taylor netted after 68 minutes.


FRICKLEY Athletic finally bagged their first win of the season at the ninth attempt with Saturday’s 2-1 defeat of visiting Stafford Rangers in the Evo-Stik League Premier.

Stafford led after 16 minutes through George Bowerman but late goals from Macaulay Parkinson and Cameron Rigby hauled Frickley off the bottom and up to 22nd.

In First Division North, a Robert Bordman penalty and Steven Nicholson strike proved in vain for third-bottom Ossett Albion who lost 3-2 at Glossop North End. Derry Robson’s effort also failed to prevent a 2-1 loss for bottom club Goole AFC at home to Kendal Town.

In the NCE League, Cody Cromack bagged a last-minute winner to see Liversedge to a 3-2 victory at home to Worksop Town which kept the hosts second in the Premier. Liversedge’s Tom Brook and Harrison Blakey also bagged a goal each.

Thackley sit fourth after seeing off visiting Rainworth Miners Welfare 3-1 thanks to goals from Benjamin Joyce, Daniel Broadbent and Ryan Farrell. Hemsworth Miners Welfare slipped to seventh after losing 1-0 at home to fifth-placed Bottesford Town. Harrogate Railway are now third-bottom after a 2-2 draw at Barton Town Old Boys while Garforth Town are seventh-bottom after losing 4-3 at home to Albion Sports. Mid-table Pickering Town drew 0-0 at Clipstone.

In Division One, Pontefract Collieries dropped to second after a 1-1 draw with visiting Grimsby Borough. Ponte’ led through Michael Dunn.

Glasshoughton Welfare are up to seventh after Nathan Keightley’s hat-trick triggered a 4-1 triumph at Shirebrook Town. Ashley Scothern also netted for the visitors.

Knaresborough Town are eighth after seeing off visiting Hallam 4-3 while AFC Emley are ninth after a 3-1 verdict at Hall Road Rangers.

Eccleshill United are 11th after losing 3-0 at Rossington Main while Yorkshire Amateur climbed to 14th with a 4-0 defeat of visiting Westella & Willerby. Fourth-bottom Nostell Miners Welfare drew 2-2 at sixth-bottom Selby Town. Selby led 2-0 after six minutes through Liam Flanagan and Josh Morley but Nostell fought back through Ryan Donoghue and Blaine Kellett.