Back-to-back defeats leave Guiseley licking their wounds

Guiseley's Oli Johnson.
Guiseley's Oli Johnson.
Have your say

MARK BOWER admits Guiseley have come crashing down to earth with a bump after ending a below-par week in abject fashion in a 4-1 home loss to Gloucester City on Saturday.

In the process, the Lions suffered a second consecutive defeat in the Vanarama North on home soil after being second-best at Nethermoor.

Manager Bower refused to dress up Saturday’s poor performance, saying: “I’m disappointed. Maybe the three wins at the start of this season have not helped, and this week has certainly brought us back down to earth with us getting only one point out of nine.”

While the opening half an hour may have not seen any goals, there were certainly chances for both sides, but just before half-time it was Gloucester who took the lead.

It proved a controversial opening goal with the ball striking Scott Wilson on the hand before he ran clear and saw his deflected shot go in.

The start of the second half brought hope for Guiseley as they were awarded a penalty, just two minutes into the new half when Oli Johnson was adjudged to have been brought down in the area.

Nicky Boshell converted with his effort having just enough power to beat ‘keeper Mike Green.

But Guiseley soon conceded and went behind for a second time with Charlie Griffin restoring Gloucester’s lead with a free header in the area.

The big chance for Guiseley to equalise fell to Oli Johnson, but when found in the area, his effort went over the bar.

Gloucester soon took full advantage with another cross finding a visiting player free in the area and this time it was defender Matt Williams who guided the ball into the net with his head.

With moments to go, the away side were able to add another goal, with impressive sub Chris Jones, who had caused problems for the half an hour he was on the pitch, getting a goal.

His effort that flew into the top corner and consigned Guiseley to another defeat, their heaviest on home soil under Bower.

While there was dismay for Guiseley, there was joy at long last for Harrogate Town, who secured their first seasonal league win at the sixth time of asking in a much-needed 1-0 success over visiting Oxford City at the CNG Stadium.

The all-important goal arrived ten minutes into the second half with Adam Nowakowski’s pass setting up Joanthan Margetts, who netted with a fine finish.

Bradford Park Avenue produced a lethargic display in going down 1-0 at Gainsborough.

FC Halifax Town were cruelly denied a draw as Bristol Rovers snatched a late goal to win 2-1 and inflict the first Conference defeat of the season on the Shaymen.

Scott Boden cancelled out Adam Cunnington’s opener with sub Ellis Harrison hitting a late winner.

SIDELINED: Guiseley's Will Hatfield. Picture: Steve Riding.

Guiseley boss Cox striving to bring in new culture at Nethermoor