Atkinson’s late show earns Farsley Celtic share of the spoils

Ossett Albion's Adam Priestley. Picture: John Hirst.
Ossett Albion's Adam Priestley. Picture: John Hirst.
Have your say

Ben Atkinson scored a dramatic, late equaliser as Farsley Celtic fought back to draw 1-1 with Nantwich Town in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division on a freezing spring day at the Weaver Stadium.

Harry Clayton had given the hosts the lead in the first-half before Atkinson struck in the 89th minute, to extend the Celts’ unbeaten away record to 10 games.

Ossett Albion's Marcus Day. Picture: John Hirst.

Ossett Albion's Marcus Day. Picture: John Hirst.

Farsley had a fantastic chance to take an early lead from the penalty spot as Lewis Turner was felled in the box by Nantwich goalkeeper Myles Boney. However, Boney atoned for his error as he superbly saved Nathan Cartman’s spot-kick, the Farsley forward without a goal since late January.

Clayton then should have doubled Nantwich’s lead as he beat the offside trap and raced through on goal, before an unfortunate bobble saw him lose control and Farsley were able to clear.

Graeme McKibbin came to Farsley’s rescue minutes later as he made an excellent save to deny Jamie Morgan, before Cameron Murray managed to get back and scramble the ball clear. With just over 20 minutes, Farsley had an excellent chance to equalise with Baldwin at the centre once more, playing a swift one-two with Danny Ellis before being denied by a terrific save from Boney.

Farsley were finally rewarded for their efforts with two minutes remaining as Paul Walker hung a cross up to the back post where substitute tkinson rose highest to head home past Boney and secure a point.

In Division One North, Tadcaster stunned promotion-chasing Bamber Bridge as they hammered their opponents 5-0. A William Annan brace and goals from Aiden Savory, Aaron Hardy and Harrison Sheppeard saw Tadcaster run riot after going in level at the interval, and keep the Brewers in the play-off hunt.

Ossett Albion moved up to 15th in the division after an excellent 3-1 victory over Skelmersdale United. Scott Metcalfe, Marcus Day and Adam Priestley were on target for Albion, with Jordan Darr’s late strike no more than a consolation for Skelmersdale.

Ossett Town were victorious as they defeated Colne 2-1, Ashley Jackson and Nicky Boshell scoring either side of Colne’s Andrew Hollins.

The weather played havoc with the NCE League programme with only four games taking place.

In Division One, Glasshoughton Welfare moved into the play-off places thanks to an impressive 5-1 victory over Rossington Main.

Robert Oldham gave Welfare the lead on 22 minutes before the hosts equalised through Jason Stokes but braces followed from Conor Glavin and Andrew Horbury to seal the victory.

Joe Jackson’s third-minute goal earned mid-table AFC Emley all three points in a 1-0 triumph over Winterton Rangers. Elsewhere, Nostell Miners Welfare slipped to a 2-0 home defeat against Ollerton Town.

Liam Cooper and Gavin King netted Ollerton’s goals. Nostell remain 12 points clear of the drop zone.