AFC Goole hit back to deny Brighouse Town

Brighouse Town's Aaron Martin.
Brighouse Town's Aaron Martin.
Have your say

Farsley Celtic were left without a game this weekend as their trip to Workington was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The Celts have dropped to eighth in the Evo-Stik Premier Division following the weekend’s results, but will look to return to winning ways tonight as they travel to Stourbridge, writes THOMAS RITCHIE.

In Division 1 North, Brighouse Town blew a two-goal lead as they slumped to a 3-2 defeat at home to Goole AFC. Aaron Martin, pictured above, had given Brighouse an early lead before doubling his tally 10 minutes into the second half.

However, Carl Stewart and Sam Colbear hauled the visitors level just after the hour mark, before Declan Howe struck in the sixth minute of added time to snatch the victory, and move Goole within three points of second-bottom Ossett Albion, who didn’t play this weekend.

There was also late drama at Ingfield as Ossett Town played their first game since the merger with Ossett Albion was announced, losing 1-0 to struggling Radcliffe FC. Town’s task was made harder when Corey Gregory was dismissed in the 65th minute following an off-the-ball incident, and Radcliffe made the man advantage count as Jordan Bove headed home the winner in the 94th minute.

Frickley Athletic’s 10-game unbeaten run came to an end as they lost 3-2 away to Peterborough Sports in Division 1 South. Lowly Peterborough took an early lead courtesy of Jordan Macleaod before Tyler Blake levelled for Frickley.

Josh Moreman scored on the stroke of half-time for Peterborough and then Josh Sanders turned the ball into his own goal as Frickley fought back once again. However, Avelino Viera had the final say as he found the back of the net with 10 minutes remaining to earn the hosts the three points.


PONTEFRACT Collieries moved into fourth spot in the NCE Premier Division with a comfortable 3-1 home victory over Thackley.

Vaughan Redford opened the scoring on 12 minutes and Kieran Scargill doubled the advantage on 26 minutes.

A Mike Garrod penalty after half-time brought the visitors back into it but Kane Reece’s goal 14 minutes from time secured the three points.

Pontefract are now 19 points behind leaders AFC Mansfield but have eight games in hand.

A first-half brace from Mark Simpson helped Garforth Town defeat Worksop Town 3-2.

Callum Ward added Town’s other goal after the interval.

The matches between Staveley MW and Pickering Town, Barton Town and Harrogate Railway Athletic were postponed.

In Division One, leaders Knaresborough Town moved eight points clear at the top after their 2-0 victory at Ollerton Town.

Stephen Bromley opened the scoring on 28 minutes and Robert Youhill netted the second on 51 minutes.

Selby Town moved up to fourth place following their 4-0 victory at AFC Emley.

Ryan Woodhead gave Selby the lead on eight minutes before a quickfire brace from Flanagan before half-time made it 3-0. Woodhead completed his double a minute after the half-time interval to complete an excellent afternoon for Town.

Elsewhere in Division One, the matches between Shirebrook Town and Nostell Miners Welfare and Worsbrough Bridge Athletic and Glasshoughton Welfare were postponed.

Liversedge moved into the fourth round of the NCE League Cup thanks to a 4-3 victory over Hall Road Rangers.

The Liversedge goals came from Joseph Walton, Andrew Wood. Oliver Dyson and a Brandon Kane penalty.