Yorkshire Amateur League: Table-topping Celtic are in seven heaven

Ryan Dawson scores for Beeston Juniors OB against visiting Alwoodley Reserves. PIC: Steve Riding
Ryan Dawson scores for Beeston Juniors OB against visiting Alwoodley Reserves. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

UNBEATEN FARSLEY Celtic Juniors put in an impressive display against strugglers Ealandians as they romped to a 7-0 victory in the Premier Division.

Farsley lead the way in the Premier Division having picked up 25 points out of a possible 27.

Beeston Juniors OB goalscorers in the 4-1 win over visitors Alwoodley Reserves, from left, Jordan Watts, Kevin Napier and Ryan Dawson (2). PIC: Steve Riding

Beeston Juniors OB goalscorers in the 4-1 win over visitors Alwoodley Reserves, from left, Jordan Watts, Kevin Napier and Ryan Dawson (2). PIC: Steve Riding

Dave Walker put Farsley ahead after 10 minutes and from there on in the league leaders never looked back.

They went in at the break 2-0 up and the second half followed the same pattern.

The game ended 7-0 and Danny Lyons completed his hat-trick with the seventh.

A comfortable win for Farsley then in the end as they cement their place at the summit of the Premier Division.

Anthony Staten shoots for Beeston Juniors OB. PIC: Steve Riding

Anthony Staten shoots for Beeston Juniors OB. PIC: Steve Riding

Drighlington, who are hot on the heels of leaders Farsley Celtic overcame fifth-placed Horsforth St Margaret’s 3-0.

The scoring was opened around the 30-minute mark thanks to Brett Thompson.

It was an even affair and Drig went into the interval a goal to the good.

It was not until the 75th minute that the hosts gained their two-goal cushion courtesy of Josh Frankland.

Then, five minutes later, Shane Sowden secured all three points.

Drighlington remain second and will be hoping to continue to push Farsley all the way. Horsforth sit fifth.

Third-placed Grangefield Old Boys continued their impressive start to the season with a 1-0 victory over Calverley United.

The hosts, Grangefield, took the lead in the 35th minute from Matt Tomlinson, whose goal turned out to be the winner in this local derby. There was some resolute defending from Grangefield all afternoon to keep Calverley at bay.

Calverley sit 10th on seven points.

The final game in the Premier Division came between Alwoodley and Stanningley Old Boys who played out a 1-1 stalemate.

The away side, Stanningley, opened the scoring on 27 minutes through a powerful Tom Stewart strike.

Late on in the second half, Alwoodley struck back with the equaliser as James Turner volleyed home.

This draw leaves Alwoodley seventh while Stanningley climbed out the bottom two and moved to ninth.

This performance from Stanningley could have warranted all three points as they hit the woodwork on several occasions.

In the Championship, Gildersome Spurs Old Boys hosted Leeds Medics & Dentists Reserves.

Top-of-the-table Gildersome struggled in this encounter and lost the game 2-0 to a very well-organised Medics’ side.

Medics Reserves are out of the bottom two with this tremendous win and now sit ninth with their goals coming in the 75th minute from a Jack Helliwell free kick and a goal from Sina Kariman in the 85th minute which sealed all three points.

Leeds Independent against St Bedes was a gripping game despite the heavy downpour throughout the match. Jermaine Moyce continued where he left off last week and beat the offside trap in the 15th minute to put Bedes in front.

And Moyce added his second 10 minutes later running on to a through ball and finishing calmly. However, a lapse in concentration allowed Independent to reduce the arrears to 2-1.

With 20 minutes to go, another lapse in concentration enabled Independent to draw level.

However, in the last minute of the game St Bedes had a corner from which Kristaps Balodis struck towards goal and it ended up in the back of the net – just what his performance deserved as pandemonium broke out.

Elsewhere, Beeston St Anthony’s won 3-2 against Shire Academics.

All five goals came in the second half.

Shire took the lead in the second half but Joe Rossiter and Luke Boyes hit back to put Beeston ahead 2-1.

Confusion at the back led to Shire equalising with five minutes to go.

Beeston then won the match though Ben McGuigan, from a controversial corner.


ROBIN HOOD ATHLETIC stormed into the last 32 of the West Riding FA County Challenge Trophy with a 12-0 blitz of visiting Morley Town Reserves, writes LEE SOBOT.

Stephen Hancock cracked in a nap hand with Timmy Barton and Kane Whithington adding braces in addition to goals from Corey Eaton, Philip Mitchell and Mark Ryan.

Tingley Athletic booked their place in the fourth round with a 2-1 success at Ealandians of the Yorkshire Amateur League.

Both teams had a player sent off but goals from Scott Austin and Elliott Walker put Tingley 2-0 up before Evan Robinson pulled a goal back for Ealandians.

Tingley’s divisional rivals Kellingley Welfare were left cursing penalties after a 5-4 loss at the Yorkshire Amateur League’s Garforth Crusaders following a 2-2 draw with Garforth keeper Tommy Kershaw the spot-kicks hero after goals from Harry Coates and Jamie Taylor in normal time.

Also from the Yorkshire Amateur League, Wortley walloped visiting Dalton Dynamos Reserves 9-1 through a Josh Proctor treble plus braces from Matt Dalton and Lewis Mawson plus strikes from Cody Doyle and Ryan Sharrocks.

Shire Academics progressed with a 5-1 win at home to Ilkley Town Reserves via a Alex Venables hat trick plus headers from Jimi Walker and Sean Wheatley.

Trinity Old Boys went through with a 4-1 verdict at Leeds City Old Boys 4ths but Leeds City Bold Boys 3rds were blitzed 8-2 at Amaranth Crossgates who netted through James Richardson (3), Mark Dixon (2), Olly Churchill, Mark Witham and Oly Mallinson.

New Middleton went out 4-3 on penalties at Huddersfield YM Reserves after a 2-2 draw in which Middleton led 2-0 through Jordan Duncan and Rocky Price.

Savile United were seen off 6-1 at FC Sporting Keighley while Golcar United Reserves were edged out 1-0 at home to Broomhill Reserves.

Dewsbury Rangers lost 4-1 at Leeds City Reserves who struck through Daniel Berry, Andrew Crossland, Jason Miller and Jonathan Wilson.

Whitkirk Wanderers Reserves had their shooting boots on in a 6-1 romp at Boroughbridge Reserves. Ashton Campbell’s double was supported by strikes from Daniel Leafe, Dominic Noteman, Joseph Stuart and Glenn Wood.

Leeds Modernians Reserves outscored hosts Cowling 5-3.

Oxenhope Recreation Reserves won 4-3 at Bradley but Horbury Town Reserves were chinned 1-0 by visiting Shelf United.

From the West Yorkshire Alliance Division Two, leaders Salts Reserves suffered a 5-3 loss at home to Honley Reserves with a Matthew Bailey double and Nathan Hartley strike in vain.

Kirk Deighton Rangers Reserves were also felled 3-2 at Brighouse Sports despite netting through Robert Holliday and Sam Straker.

Ilkley Town Reserves were also beaten 5-1 at Shire Academic Reserves despite netting after two minutes through Declan Bradley.

From the Wakefield League, highflying Crackenedge romped to an 8-1 win at home to Garforth WMC.

An Adam Williams hat-trick was supported by doubles from Timothy Clarke and Macauley Parkinson plus a Scott Lightowler strike.

Snydale Athletic overcame visiting Salts 3rds 3-1 thanks to a Lewis Farrell hat-trick while Fox & Hounds Batley progressed 4-3 on penalties after a 4-4 draw at home to Marsden.

Jack Armitage, Craig Bentley, Declan Bickers and Joseph Hanson all netted in normal time for the hosts.

From Division One of the Wakefield League, Fieldhead Hospital trounced visiting Overthorpe Sports Club Reserves 9-0 with hat-tricks from Jake Gibson and Nathan Jones, a brace from Carl Walker and a Daniel Thorpe strike.