Yorkshire Amateur League: Surprise collapse gifts rivals top spot

Yorkshire Old Boys' Shield action from Farnley Sports v Grangefield OB. PIC: Steve Riding
Yorkshire Old Boys' Shield action from Farnley Sports v Grangefield OB. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Leeds Medics collapsed in spectacular fashion against Farsley Celtic Juniors in the Premier Division, ceding second place in the table to their opposition in the process.

Medics led 2-0 after only five minutes through Niall Robinson and Alex Monk before Celtic’s Danny Lyons started the comeback by grabbing a goal.

After the break, Craig Farrand scored two, before top scorer Lyons bagged another to put Farsley two ahead. Lyons completed his hat-trick shortly after, and although Robinson reduced the arrears to 5-3, the damage was done.

A bottom of the table clash in the Championship saw Stanningley OB Reserves beat Leeds Independent 5-2, lifting Stanningley out of the bottom two.

Steve Ellis hit a brace for Stanningley, with Russ McGowan, Craig Harris and Matt Gerraghty also scoring. Marlon Richards scored for Independent.

Batelians lost 5-3 to Thornesians, despite leading 2-0 after only 10 minutes of the game.

Thornesians had super substitute Ryan Dobson to thank, as he scored two to help turn the game around. Danny Leach also bagged a brace, with Joe Cook rounding off the goals.

Stefan Godbold, Jamie Smith and Jamie Ingham scored for Batelians.

Beeston Juniors beat Collingham Juniors OB 2-0 to stay in second place.

Richard Dunbar opened the scoring before Liam Tyrer added a second to secure the win.

Leeds Medics Reserves showed the first team how to hold on to a lead, beating Beeston St Anthony’s 1-0 thanks to Sverrir Kristennson’s volley.

Dewsbury Rangers kept pace with Calverley United at the top of Division One by holding them to a 3-3 draw.

Ben Binns struck once and Mike Kelsey scored two for United, but Rangers had goalscorers of their own in Tom Swailes, Jamie Smith and Michael Thompson.

There was a ten goal thriller as Grangefield OB Reserves drew 5-5 with St Bedes. Grangefield’s scorers were Sam Russell, Tyler Gill twice, Daniel Cuff and Rhys O’Hare. St Bedes’ hero was Jordan Northin, who scored a hat-trick, while Nathan Bailey and Andrew Scullion scored one each.

Leeds Medics III won 2-1 against Amaranth, their goals from Tom McBride and Nick Maxwell, while Danny Blackburn scored for Amaranth.

Garforth Rangers drew 2-2 against Colton Athletic. Kean Varley equalised late on, following Scott Harding’s opener. Chris Hick and Jono Goodwin scored for Athletic.

Rothwell Reserves demolished Wheelwright OB, winning 6-1. Their goals from Liam Connelly, David Schofield, Chris Nock, Liam Parker and Danny Harrison.

Rothwell move up to seventh.


Farnley Sports confirmed a second-round match against Rothwell by beating Grangefield 4-2 in the Yorkshire Old Boys’ Shield.

Andy Kenyon put Grangefield ahead but four goals without reply from Adam Butterworth and Curt Lewis, Butterworth scoring three, were enough to put the tie out of Rothwell’s reach before Josh Spencer bagged a consolation.

Drighlington stormed past Teesside club St Mary’s College, winning 3-1 with goals from Shane Sowden, Lewis Kendall and Josh Sheldrake.

Alwoodley beat Trinity OB 5-4 in a nervy affair that could have gone either way.

Adam Kenyon and Adam Gillett scored two each for Trinity, while Tom Rawson, with a brace, Geoff Clarkson, Callum Armstrong and Graham Shaw were Alwoodley’s goalscorers, setting up a tie with Long Riston, who beat Brandesburton 7-0, in the next round.

Wortley beat second-tier side Morley Town 3-1.

Ash Birdsall bagged a brace, added to by Cody Doyle’s solitary strike, while Josh Lazenby scored for Town.

Shire Academics fell to a late loss against Hull United Reserves, with Jordan Harris’ goal consigning them to a 2-1 defeat. Alex Cookson had earlier equalised for Shire.

There was a nine-goal thriller between Rodillian and Stanningley OB, Rodillian scoring the odd goal more to win 5-4. Charlie Holt and Luke Playford scored a brace each for the winners, while Francisco Mato bagged one. Brad Sharrocks, Michael Joyce and James Allen, with two, were on the scoresheet for Stanningley.

Ealandians came through a tough opening to win 5-2 against Huddersfield YMCA.

Jordan Jaber put YMCA ahead before Glyn Haley, with a double, James Greenwood, Mark Heppenstall and James Parkinson scored for Ealandians. Olly Dunne’s strike reduced the deficit at the death for YMCA.

York Minster Engineering League side Howden Academy beat North Leeds in a penalty shoot out after a 6-6 draw. Dean Peacock scored four for Leeds, with Daniel Bean and Steve Mitchell also bagging, before Leeds lost 3-2 in the shoot out.