Yorkshire Amateur League: Returning keeper Gill’s the hero in Marflitt Cup thriller

Match action from Leeds Independent v Tadcaster.
Match action from Leeds Independent v Tadcaster.
Have your say

The Marflitt Cup quarter-final tie between Huddersfield Amateur and Grangefield OB was a classic with the two sides requiring penalties to settle the tie.

The tone set in the first three minutes by two fabulous saves from the Huddersfield Amateur keeper Neil Heppenstall to prevent Grangefield taking an early lead.

After 15 minutes Huddersfield Amateur went ahead, Chris Binks drilling home.

The lead lasted five minutes when a goal-bound shot from Tom Pickup was deflected past the Amateur keeper. Huddersfield Amateur added a second when a shot from Sam Frankland was deflected past the Grangefield keeper.

In the 65th minute, Amateur keeper Neil Heppenstall’s clearance ricocheted off the onrushing Richard Banks, lobbed over the keeper and Banks followed up by placing the ball into the net.

After 90 minutes the scores were level at 2-2. In the 107th minute young Ben Hallitt rifled home to give Amateur a 3-2 advantage.

With five minutes remaining a cross from the left was headed home with great accuracy from eight yards out by Richard Banks to give Grangefield lifeline.

The winning penalties were hit by Richard Banks, Matt Tomlinson, Grant Jackson and Luke Hunter, but the shootout hero was the Grangefield keeper Phil Gill on his return from injury, who saved two penalties.

Fifty-one league places separate Division Five leaders Leeds City OB Res and Senior B promotion-favourites Farsley Celtic Juniors, and although the 4-1 Farsley success was inevitable, the determination of Leeds City was appreicated on both sides.

Craig Farrand gave Farsley a 1-0 lead, Ben Cook’s double and a free-kick from Craig Farrand making it 4-0. A late goal by Dan Berry for City OB was just reward for their performance.

Hosts Modernians competed well in the first half against Senior A leaders Ealandians before eventually losing the tie 5-0.

The victory sets up a mouth-watering semi-final with in-form Senior B promotion favourites Farsley Celtic Juniors with the Ealandians scorers Glynn Haley, James Flower in the first half and an OG, with two goals for defender Matty Parker.

In the only Senior A fixture, hosts Medics rose from the relegation zone to seventh with a 4-2 win at FC Headingley with Brad Chambers’ double and top scorer Niall Robinson on the scoresheet before a 45th-minute riposte from Richard Thomas. FC Headingley further reduced the arreas through Matt Raw before Alex Monk settled matters.

A 4-1 Senior B success for Farnley Sports at Rodillian moves them up to fourth. Adam Butterworth grabbed a hat-trick of long-distance strikes.

Wigton Moor are third in Senior B after their 4-2 win over St Bede’s; Danny Lyons and the returning Leroy Watson each bagging a brace.

Shire Academics did well to defeat Collingham Juniors OB 4-1. Leading scorer Luke Croager was in fine form as he bagged a hat-trick.

Dave Hill opened the Shire scoring while Richard Metcalfe netted the consolation goal for Collingham. The Hancock Cup tie between Centralians Res, unbeaten in Division 4, and Gildersome Spurs Res of Division 1, was the only quarter-final tie played. Gildersome were two goals up at half-time thanks to Danny Phillips and a Danny Norton header from a yard out.

The tie was over when Jordan Brereton scored and Spurs now prepare for a semi-final tie with either Huddersfield Amateur Res or Alwoodley Res.

Brighouse Town Ladies' 

Annabelle Cass.

Women’s round-up: Brighouse are basking in FA Cup scalp glory