Yorkshire Amateur League: Never-say-die St Bede’s beat the odds

Adam Kenyon scores for  Morley Town past Wortley goalkeeper Ash Kersley and defender Adam Karran in the Terry Marflitt Trophy. PIC: Steve Riding
Adam Kenyon scores for Morley Town past Wortley goalkeeper Ash Kersley and defender Adam Karran in the Terry Marflitt Trophy. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

ST Bede’s ‘never say die attitude’ helped the Championship side overturn the odds in their 3-2 extra-time defeat of Beeston St Anthony’s in the Terry Marflitt Trophy second round.

Bede’s have grown a habit of having to compromise of late and they did just that on Saturday.

Kevin Mackay of Morley Town. PIC: Steve Riding

Kevin Mackay of Morley Town. PIC: Steve Riding

The Bradford side fielded a 50-year-old in their starting line-up and had to change goalkeeper midway through the second half when first-choice custodian Dan Lynes left with work commitments.

Club secretary Danny Burke said: “It was a superb show of character from the lads, who earned us a hard-fought victory.

“We showed our never-say-die attitude by battling back from 2-0 and the lads are really proud of their achievement.

“The performance epitomises the attitude instilled by Ty (Akram, player-manager) which is now paying dividends.”

Mehdi Mokrini, of Morley Town, is tackled by Wortley's Josh Procter and Matty Hirst in the Terry Marflitt Trophy. PIC: Steve Riding

Mehdi Mokrini, of Morley Town, is tackled by Wortley's Josh Procter and Matty Hirst in the Terry Marflitt Trophy. PIC: Steve Riding

Lynes could do nothing about the Beeston opener which Agyekum Boateng bundled in at the far post.

The visitors struck the bar but Beeston forged even further ahead when Tony Garth was given space in the box and finished smartly on the hour to make it 2-0.

Experienced frontman Ian Horrocks gave Bede’s a route back into the contest, first heading home from an Andy McHugh cross on 70 minutes and dramatically stabbing in a Tawheed Ahmed delivery to level with three minutes left.

Gareth Gilmartin settled the matter in extra-time, following up his effort that struck the bar to poach a dramatic clincher.

Bede’s gained promotion last year and have the fillip of quarter-finals in the Bradford District and now Marflitt cups, but are in no way immune to the problems plaguing grassroots football.

“The club is in a period of development and we are trying a new academy next season,” Burke said.

“We’re trying to get by in an environment where managing a club is becoming really difficult, in terms of recruitment, training and administration.”

Elsewhere, Grangefield goalkeeper Tom Needham was the hero in their pulsating defeat of fellow top-flighters St Nicholas on spot-kicks.

Nick’s, semi-finalists last year, took the lead at Oakwood Lane on the 20-minute mark through Yousif Tashani but they failed to build on early dominance.

Despite sustained pressure and chances, Grangefield conceded a clumsy penalty late on but Needham got down to save it.

‘Crouchy’ Needham went up the other end, looping a header into the roof of the net from a corner sparking crazed celebration.

The visitors went on to triumph 4-3 in the penalty shootout, where St Nicholas had one saved and missed another.

Morley Town’s quarter-final place was sealed with a 3-1 defeat of nine-man Wortley at West Leeds Rugby Club.

Joe Hudson gave Wortley, dumped out of the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield by Town earlier this month, the lead but Andy Kenyon drew the visitors level 40th minute.

A straight red for Adam Karran, added to a second yellow for Ashley Williams, gave Morley a far easier path.

Second-half goals from Jovan Kioseff and Jonathan Wilmshurst gave skipper Marc Haley’s side their third successive victory in all competitions.

High-flying Drighlington put seven past Shire Academics, seventh in the Championship, at Bedquilts.

Shire put in a performance worthy of a top-flight club but were three goals down at half-time by which time Sam Thorpe had bagged a brace and Ryan Rhodes had also struck the back of the net.

Ben Adams netted for the first time in six seasons after the break, with the returning Shane Sowden adding two more to the tally and Ben Swift also getting on target.

Division One outfit Leeds Medics III came up against an unstoppable force in Graham Shaw, whose hat-trick formed the backbone of Alwoodley’s 9-0 win at Brownlee Centre.

Shaw and Jimmy Willmoth will have been fighting over the match ball, both with trebles, James Turner and Dan Aston scoring twice and once respectively.

Third-tier Leeds City Old Boys came away from Weetwood proud of their performance despite losing 5-1 to Steve Ledger’s leaders Leeds Medics.

City, who have won three of four in the league, struck through Al Lewis but it was never likely to be enough as doubles from Brad Chambers and Dave Emms put last year’s beaten semi-finalists through.

Last year’s Marflitt winners Farsley Celtic Juniors beat Stanley United 5-2 at Bradford Academy in the other second-round tie of the weekend.

There is one tie remaining to be played, Leeds Medics Reserves facing Thornesians in a fortnight’s time for a place in the quarters.

Just two games were played in the Premier Division with Beeston Juniors moving eighth through a 3-2 success at home to second-bottom Stanningley Old Boys.

Ealandians climbed to fourth after seeing off third-bottom visitors Athletico 2-1.

Aimi Beresford

Women’s Football: Beresford’s hat-trick keeps Brighouse Town in Cup hunt

Ollie Nightingale, of Rawdon Old Boys, is trapped by East End Park's Liam Douglas and Adam Tunnicliffe. PIC: Steve Riding

West Yorkshire League: Newsome’s finally managing to pool his resources together