Yorkshire Amateur League: Morley aiming for a lengthy cup run

Farnley Sports' Danny Purcell is tackled by Aaron Moore, of North Leeds. PIC: Steve Riding
Farnley Sports' Danny Purcell is tackled by Aaron Moore, of North Leeds. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Championship pacesetters Morley Town proved they won’t be taking the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield lightly by despatching Leeds City Old Boys 9-3 at Adel Sports Club.

A cup run has the potential to bolster the promotion ambitions of Arran Wheelhouse’s side.

“We had a good team out and were always in control on a good surface,” club secretary Noel Bullock commented.

“Arran (Wheelhouse, coach) really wants to give this competition a go, we’re already out of two cups and the Challenge Cup.

“We do want a cup run to spur us on in the league, where we’re all guns blazing at the moment.”

Town were 5-1 up at half-time with Ryan Hartley, Danny Holland and Aidan Philip bagging braces and Rob Gumbley and Matthew Agar also scoring.

The home side were second-best throughout despite Akime Pinder, Adrian Chapman and Alastair Lewis’ goals.

The main upset in the first round of the Shield, an invitation competition including clubs from Teesside and the East Riding, came as Division Three Churwell Lions cut down Thornesians 5-2.

Paul Denby’s outfit are struggling in the fifth tier but Ash Oates’ treble and goals from Jake Dearden and Steve Greenwood proved too much for the visitors, for whom Chris Wildie and Nick Bowen notched.

Premier Division holders Farsley Celtic will have one less cup competition to distract them from their title defence after Stanningley booted them out, winning 3-1 at Hough Top.

Stanningley forged ahead when Terrell Phillips headed in Jay Carr’s freekick and Tom Stewart turned in Jamie McGeorge’s ball.

The top flight’s bottom club were in dreamland at 3-0 as Jamie Harrop’s scuffed effort trickled in; Danny Lyons scored a far more eye-catching goal on 65 minutes but this would be nothing more than a consolation for Farsley.

Grangefield have flattered to deceive in the league this season but are finding solace in the cups with a convincing 5-0 defeat of Beeston St Anthony’s on the back of progress in the Marflitt Trophy.

Grant Jackson, Kristian Dacre, Kev Brown and Jack Kitson got the goals to cap a performance that was – by all accounts – far too good for the second-tier opponents to come close to dealing with.

Beeston Juniors have enjoyed a memorable few weeks and this continued with a 4-1 win against in-form Stanley United at Cardinal Square.

Under-strength Stanley struck first through Josh Whiteley only for George Lazaro, with two, Tom Lund and Brad Lloyd to seal Beeston’s progress. The two teams meet in the league next week.

There were dominant wins for several Premier Division sides.

Farnley Sports beat North Leeds 9-0, St Nicholas put 10 past Lepton Highlanders and Alwoodley had an 8-0 victory over Wheelwright Old Boys.

There were a couple of games in the top tier and Ealandians led with an 8-0 defeat of Wigton Moor that puts them a point behind Farsley in second.

Defender Wayne Crossley hit a hat-trick, Chris Schofield scored twice and Dom Finn, James Flower and Andy Hudson also got their names on the scoresheet.

Sixteen-year-old goalkeeper Tom Thornton made his debut for Ealandians and won’t have many quieter games for the club.

Leeds Medics are always there or thereabouts in the final reckoning and they beat Trinity 7-2 at St Theresa’s School to cut the gap to the top of the table to just a point.

Trinity didn’t give up despite being 2-0 down at the break through Niall Robinson and Paul Jackson, with further goals to come from Alex Monk and Brad Chambers, both twice, and Kieran Wardman.

They managed to get on the scoresheet thanks to Niall Robinson and a Paul Jackson own goal.

In the Championship, much-improved Alwoodley Reserves snatched a draw from leaders Collingham Juniors, drawing 1-1 at Harewood Road.

Alwoodley, boosted by several new and returning players, scored in the 38th minute through Ben Walker although Mark Robins’ leveller in the 48th minute consigned the game to a draw.

Mount St Mary’s moved up to fourth with an encouraging 2-1 win over Calverley United.

Jordan Talbot and Conor Parsons’ first-half goals were enough despite the hosts scoring later on through James Beaumont.

Leeds Independent went top of Division One with a 4-1 win against Grangefield Old Boys thanks largely to Ryan O’Donnell’s terrific hat-trick.

Farsley Celtic Reserves were lifted out of their poor run of form by a 2-0 triumph over Garforth Rangers and Old Batelians beat St Bedes 2-0.

The Division Two game between Idle and Old Centralians was called off after a Centralians player broke his leg.