Yorkshire Amateur League: Kieran nets Stanley United winner right on cue

Steve Phillips scores an early goal for Garforth Crusaders past East Ardsley Wanderers goalkeeper Marc Wilkinson. PIC: Steve Riding
Steve Phillips scores an early goal for Garforth Crusaders past East Ardsley Wanderers goalkeeper Marc Wilkinson. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Kieran Wright’s last-gasp winner condemned hosts Alwoodley to a smash-and-grab 3-2 defeat at the hands of ten-man Stanley United in the Premier Division.

Stanley’s second season in the YAL threatened to totter after two successive defeats in league and cup but a resilient display saw them win a five-goal thriller at the Avenue.

Oliver White scores for Garforth Crusaders against East Ardsley Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding

Oliver White scores for Garforth Crusaders against East Ardsley Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding

The visitors were totally outplayed in the first half-hour, prolific Callum Armstrong putting them behind by sidefooting home a Graham Shaw cross in the 13th minute.

Alwoodley were punished for some sloppy defending by representative star Josh Whiteley, who restored parity five minutes later, but they regained the lead when Shaw drove in left-footed on 38 minutes.

Lewis Powell made it 2-2 shortly before the break and although Stanley were fortunate to go in level, they stayed in the contest throughout the second half despite going down to ten men when Ash Munton saw red.

Stanley sit fifth while inconsistent Alwoodley, whose last three victories have been followed by immediate defeat, remain in third.

Jack Wilson shoots for Garforth Crusaders against East Ardsley Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding

Jack Wilson shoots for Garforth Crusaders against East Ardsley Wanderers. PIC: Steve Riding

Leeds Medics’ remarkable feat of conceding just one goal in 13 games continued as they edged past second-bottom Stanningley 1-0 at Hough Top.

Brad Chambers, leading scorer with nine goals, was at the heart of the only goal of the game when his flick-on from a David Emms corner led to an own goal.

Medics’ fine defensive record was threatened by the demanding hosts – goalkeeper Tim Griffiths forced into a reaction save – but they held on to seal a sixth straight victory.

Three goals in a dramatic last ten minutes took Athletico past bottom side St Nicholas with a 3-2 win in a pulsating clash played out on Middleton Park’s 3G.

Athletico, recent additions from the Spen Valley league, trailed 2-0 in the 80th minute with goals either side of half-time from 19 year-old Ahmed Mohammed and Leo Gentiles.

Man of the match Mohammed Qasim bagged a late brace, with skipper Mohammed Ikram notching the decider with two minutes to play; his effort cannoning off the post, onto the keeper’s back and in.

Nick’s, with only one point from six games, were left to curse their luck while Athletico continue to settle into YAL life nicely in sixth.

Calverley United continued their good Championship form with a gutsy 2-1 defeat of Leeds Independent at Gledhow.

The visitors failed to take advantage of their first-half advantage of kicking downhill and went into the break with a slender lead thanks to Matty Wilson.

They showed greater backbone playing uphill and forced several key saves from Independent stopper Neal Howard but it looked like Seb Sokol had nicked a point for the hosts with a minute to play.

Si McQuiston struck in injury-time to earn three points for Calverley, who flirted with relegation last season but are now second with six wins from eight games. Shire Academics remain on the periphery of the race for promotion from the secon tier after a 3-1 win over Collingham Juniors at Harewood Road.

Collingham, whose situation in tenth fails to reflect the quality of their football, caused problems for Shire in the first-half and had their lead when Tony Hardless fired a stunning drive into the top corner from 30 yards.

The visitors regrouped and goals from Mark Freeman, Jordan Talbot and substitute Ryan Hollings gave them a third win in four.

Meanwhile, leaders Gildersome Spurs opened up a five-point lead at the top with a 5-0 defeat of struggling Wortley at West Leeds Rugby Club.

Johnny Hunt notched twice with Connor Firth and promising substitute Luke Ambler also getting on the scoresheet.

In Division One, Farsley Celtic Juniors surrendered a four-goal lead to lose 6-5 to Dewsbury Rangers at Wakefield Road.

Danny Kemp, Brad Sharrocks and Neil Stevens took Farsley into the break 3-0 up and Joe Crampton soon added a fourth.

A second-half Gareth Smith hat-trick, alongside efforts from Jack Smith, Rob Smith and Sam Wilson, gave Dewsbury a dramatic win and a confidence boost after lacking goals.

Ealandians Reserves stayed top of division one, putting five past Garforth Rangers without reply; goals shared between Carlton Balmer, Jonathan Pickles, Chris Wdowcyk, Jordan Goldthorpe and Colin Schofield.

Rothwell ensured they remained a close second with a 2-1 comeback win over Sky Blue, Ben Able and Ryan Healey with goals in a winning cause.

In Division Two, league leaders Garforth Crusaders beat East Ardsley Wanderers 11-2.


LEEDS left it late to trump Hull in the Yorkshire Old Boys’ Shield as Grangefield Old Boys beat East Riding County League side Apollo in a thrilling Saturday afternoon cup tie, writes TOM HARLE.

The songs heard on the bus back from Bilton hailed a stunning comeback from 3-1 down with 20 minutes to play, when Nick Smith began the riposte with a spot-kick.

Super sub Rhys O’Hare levelled terms on 80 minutes before Andy Doogan stooped to head in with moments to play.

The Shield, open to leagues within the old Yorkshire boundaries from Teesside to Humberside, was at its second-round stage at the weekend and Grangefield booked a quarter-final date with Teesside’s Fishburn Park.

Fishburn beat Premier Division side Morley 6-5 after extra-time; it was 4-4 after 90 minutes, Jovan Kioseff notching a brace for Town before Aron Johnson was sent off.

Elsewhere, high-flying Drighlington bounced back from cup defeat last week by beating Beeston Juniors 8-0.

There were four goals in each half, Sam Thorpe with a treble and Shane Sowden bagging a brace with Andy Punter, Ryan Rhodes and Tom Farrar completing the scoring.

Drighlington have won three of their last four in all competitions and have set up a quarter-final with Reckitts of the East Riding.

Farsley Celtic Juniors swamped St Bede’s, putting 17 goals past the Championship side in a game that belied the single division that separates them on the league pyramid.

Bede’s lost their keeper after ten minutes and Farsley took full advantage.

Alex Gyte helped himself to six, leading scorer Danny Lyons had four and there were doubles for Joe Firth and Louis Surtees with Barry Thirsk’s side welcoming Colton Athletic in the next round in January.

“Credit to the Bede’s lads, who kept working hard right to the final whistle,” Thirsk said.

“There were a couple of debatable decisions but we played some super football and scored some quality goals.”

Colton beat Beeston St Anthony’s 3-1, with goals from Jordan Thackray, Chris Hick and Jonathan Goodwin.