Yorkshire Amateur League: Freescoring Ealandians go within a whisker of record

Wayne Crossley
Wayne Crossley
Have your say

EALANDIANS came within touching distance of the record Senior A scoreline as they battered beleaguered hosts Old Batelians 13-1 on Saturday.

Dom Finn and Matty Parker both crashed in hat-tricks for the visitors whose Dan Gomersall and James Greenwood added braces.

Wayne Crossley, James Parkinson and Curtis Cochrane were also on target for third-placed Ealandians who came within a whisker of the record 14-0 scoreline.

Stu Otway netted the sole Batelians response.

Recently crowned champions Gildersome Spurs Old Boys raced to a 6-1 win at second-placed Grangefield Old Boys who were torn apart in the second half. Grangefield trailed 1-0 to a Steve Wales goal at the interval but Spurs were then steam-rollered by a brace from Ben Keedy plus strikes from leading scorer Matt Jackson, super sub Mike Hall and a Lee Thrush penalty.

The Grangefield reply came from Luke Hunter.

In recording Saturday’s victory, Spurs broke the points record previously held by Wakefield City of 54 for a season. If Spurs stay unbeaten they will equal the record of Ealandians in 78/79 and Trinity College in 87/88 that both went unbeaten.

Fourth-placed Leeds Medics were 3-1 winners at home to fifth-placed Stanningley Old Boys.

Sam Hinchcliffe opened the scoring for Medics after 30 minutes following a free kick taken by Dave Emms. Dave Ashcroft then bundled the ball home after 70 minutes to double the advantage with an 80th minute goal for the departing James Williams putting the hosts out of sight. James Allen then reduced the Stanningley arrears with his 86th minute header.

Sixth-placed Huddersfield Amateur finished with a 3-1 triumph against eighth-placed visitors Alwoodley.

Mohammed Ozair opened the Amateur scoring with Dave Wooffenden lobbing the second and Joe Simmons heading home the third. Mark Thompson got himself on the Alwoodley scoresheet.

In Senior B, leaders Farsley Celtic Juniors ground out a 4-2 success at second-bottom Thornesians. Goals for Celtic from Sam Bradley early doors and James Kasher before half-time were followed by a neat goal for Ben Cook with Adam Jesusco clinching the game. A Thornesians late rally was rewarded by two outstanding goals from Chris Bolland and man of the match Ryan Dobson.

Farsley now visit second-placed Stanningley Old Boys Reserves this weekend in a title decider.

At the other end of the table, already relegated St Bedes were defeated by sixth-positioned visitors Shire Academics 3-1.

Shire took a first half lead through Jacob Taylor with Mark Freeman making it 2-0 ten minutes after the break.

Bedes hit back when a Jason Davis cross was met by Tahir Akram but Ari Nurmi that made the score 3-1 to Shire in the 75th minute.

Last Wednesday evening saw Grangefield Old Boys Reserves celebrating as they bagged the Hancock Cup in style with a 4-1 dismissing of Division One outfit Gildersome Spurs Reserves at Liversedge FC before a record crowd for a Hancock Final in excess of one hundred paying spectators.

Daniel Cuff was at the double for Grangefield whose Tyler Gill and Sam Russell also netted.

Josh Sheldrake was the solitary scorer for Spurs when they were 2-0 down.

Defender Si Yeadon named by the Cup Committee as the man of the match.

West Yorkshire League: Promoted Newsome targeting top flight at first attempt