Yorkshire Amateur League: Farnley stunned by Stanningley fightback

St Nicholas remain unbeaten in the Yorkshire Amateur League Championship after a 2-0 win at Collingham with goals from Tesfa Walton and Jonathan Daniels.
St Nicholas remain unbeaten in the Yorkshire Amateur League Championship after a 2-0 win at Collingham with goals from Tesfa Walton and Jonathan Daniels.
Have your say

stanningley ob came from behind to run out 3-1 winners at home to Farnley Sports in what was the Premier Division’s only game to go ahead last weekend.

A brace from Tom Stewart and a reactive goal from James Allen wrapped up all three points for Stanningley after Lee Ranson had put the visitors ahead with a well-placed volley.

The win puts Stanningley just a point behind Farnley with their fourth win in six games, capitalising on the adverse weather conditions that saw the league’s other fixtures postponed.

In the Championship, a brace apiece from Chris Pearson and Aidan Phillips helped end Morley Town’s five match losing streak with a 5-1 win away to Beeston St Anthony’s.

Beeston held a 1-0 lead into half-time after Lee Nutton opened the scoring, but Morley took control of the second half with substitute Ryan O’Donnell netting his first goal of the season.

Leeds Independent secured their first win of the season with a 3-1 win away to Old Batelians, as the home side slipped down one place into eighth.

A double from Marlon Richards and a penalty from Independent’s leading goalscorer Gavin Hercules catapulted the visitors into a 3-0 lead at the break, with Matthew Bolton scoring a consolation late on as the Batelians limped to the final whistle.

Elsewhere in the Championship, Leeds Medics and Dentists Reserves held on for a 2-1 win in the top of the table clash against Beeston Juniors, after Jamie Mitchell pulled a goal back for the league leaders.

Leeds can’t afford to relax though after St Nicholas put two past Collingham Juniors OB to ensure they stay hot on their heels in the promotion race, while Alwoodley Reserves ran out 2-1 winners at home to Shire Academics.

In Division One, Drighlington earned a move to the top of the table with a 5-1 win against Wheelwright OB in just one of two games to survive the weather.

Captain Michael Durham and leading goalscorer Shane Sowden were among the Drighlington players to find the back of the net, sending Wheelwright crashing to their sixth league defeat in succession.

In the league’s only other games to go ahead this weekend, Scott Harding scored two as in-form Garforth Rangers thrashed St Bedes 7-1, with substitute Tom Mozley scoring a consolation for the home side.

In the second division, Gildersome Spurs OB hit hosts Sandal Wanderers with four goals in the opening 20 minutes on their way to a 7-2 win, while Leeds Medics and Dentists IV also put seven past Old Batelians Reserves, including a hat-trick from substitute Alexander Wood.


ALWOODLEY’S long journey to Long Riston of the Humber Premier League First Division proved worthwhile on Saturday as a 4-0 success booked the Yorkshire Amateur League side’s place in the Yorkshire Old Boys’ Shield third round.

Long Riston deliberately rested their pitch the previous weekend in readiness for the tie which was nonetheless played in less than ideal conditions.

But Alwoodley left with a spring in their strep after Graham Shaw opened the scoring with a penalty before Dan Whincup, from the second team, came along to hit a hat trick.

Alwoodley will meet Rodillian in the quarter final with the winners of that tie challenging Ealandians in the semi-final.

The Howden youngsters, from the York Minster Engineering League, did the club proud and kept Rodillian on their toes as part of a 4-2 away loss.

Luke Playford gave Rodillian a half-time lead and he doubled his and his team’s tally early in the second half. The visitors struck back but quickly Rodillian reopened the two goal gap through Francisco Matos.

Again Howden retaliated successfully to make the score 3-2 but Charlie Holt secured the ticket to the next round.

Ealandians eased past Rothwell 7-1 on an awful day for football.

The YAL champions took a two goal lead and led 3-1 at the interval with the rest plain sailing. Four-goal Wayne Crossley hit two penalties to go with a long range effort of 40 yards and a neat finish.

Dene Heppenstall, Mark Heppenstall and Glyn Haley added one each.