Yorkshire Amateur League: Farnley’s fine form spills over into cup

Leeds Medics Reserves' goalscorers in a 3-1 win at Collingham, from left, Nick Maxwell, Fraser Ritchie and Rishi Dhand.
Leeds Medics Reserves' goalscorers in a 3-1 win at Collingham, from left, Nick Maxwell, Fraser Ritchie and Rishi Dhand.
Have your say

Farnley Sports continued their excellent form in all competitions with a 7-3 win against Alwoodley in the Marflitt Trophy second round.

This month Farnley have kept their dreams of silverware alive in the County Cup, Old Boys Shield and now the league cup, open to teams in the top three tiers.

Manager Scott Horner revealed that a change in formation has helped his side find a way to win games of late, as they turn their attention to putting points on the board in the Premier Division.

“We’ve changed our system over the last couple of weeks and it’s paid off,” Horner said.

“We have tried to get an extra man up front with Shane Gaunt and gone to 4-4-2. It worked perfectly on Saturday.

“This was a big month for us, when I sat down with my assistant we knew that if we lost games in this month we could have been out of it.

“We’re seen as a cup team but we haven’t been getting to any big finals so we want to go as far as possible in those competitions.”

It didn’t look like they’d have the chance when Alwoodley went in to half-time 2-1 up at the Avenue through Callum Armstrong and Dan Whincup, although the lead was halved by Danny Purcell.

Horner’s team talk must have done the trick as Carl Manning equalised in the 52nd minute and Gaunt made it 3-2 on 64 minutes.

Adam Horner extended the lead five minutes later and two set-piece goals from Joe Cryer put the visitors further in front, before Cryer completed his hat-trick and Gaunt netted an outstanding second.

Championship side Calverley United were defeated 6-0 by top-flight heavyweights Farsley Celtic Juniors at Victoria Park.

Alex Gyte scored twice and strikes from Paul Dockerty, Joe Firth, Said Osman and Danny Lyons sealed the progress for the holders.

A remarkable period of extra-time in which Ealandians scored five goals without reply decided a frenetic 8-3 win over Mount St Mary’s at Elland Cricket Club on Saturday afternoon.

Jordan Talbot’s hat-trick for the visitors ensured it was 3-3 at the end of normal time.

But Daniel Davidson’s treble alongside braces from Chris Parker and Martin Coldwell proved enough in the end for the win.

Grangefield’s league form might not have picked up as desired but they clinically despatched First Division side Huddersfield YMCA 7-1 at Weetwood Sports Park.

Kev Green and Andy Kenyon will have been fighting over the match ball having both netted hat-tricks, while Grant Jackson also got his name on the scoresheet.

Many are rating Leeds Medics as the team to beat in the Premier Division this season and they proved why this could well be the case with a 5-1 defeat of Stanley United.

Paul Jackson opened the scoring after an even start to the game before Brad Chambers doubled the advantage. John Forrest and Niall Robinson took it to 4-0.

Joe Childs’ consolation goal was rendered all the more perfunctory by Jonathan Makele’s powerful strike to make it five for the division’s favourites.

Championship high-fliers Morley Town must have fancied their chances of an upset against St Nicholas but ended up negotiating a 6-1 cup exit.

Mark Hill’s treble led the way with further efforts from Ryan Mills, Ryan Brough and Ishmail Mills.

In the League, the only game in the Premier Division saw Stanningley ease past lowly Wigton Moor 9-2.

Mark Wilson, Tom Stewart and Georgie Rutherford – on debut – all bagged hat-tricks, although none were bested by a stunning Wigton free kick that was the best goal of the day at Hough Top.

In the Championship, Drighlington won a hard-fought encounter with Beeston St Anthony’s 3-2.

Tony Garth’s goal put Beeston 1-0 up but was cancelled out before half-time by Brett Thompson.

Nathan Floyd put that right by regaining the lead after the break only for Shane Sowden to pull it back again to 2-2.

Joe Lawrence’s winner in the 85th minute saw Beeston punished for a lack of cutting edge up front.

In the second tier’s other game, Leeds Medics Reserves defeated Collingham Juniors 3-1 with goals coming from Nick Maxwell, Fraser Ritchie and Rishi Dhand.

Division One leaders Leeds Independent were held to a gritty goalless draw by Dewsbury Rangers.

Close challengers Farsley Reserves took full advantage of the situation by beating Old Batelians 6-2.

A much-improved Garforth Rangers, meanwhile, beat Grangefield Reserves 4-0 with strikes from Jordan Allsop, Dale Regan, Jordan Harrison and Luke Richardson.

At the bottom, inexperienced Rothwell were plunged into more trouble by a rampant Gildersome Spurs, who beat them convincingly 7-1.

St Bedes and Leeds Medics III shared a 2-2 draw in the league’s other encounter.