Yorkshire Amateur League: Ealandians better than victory margin suggests

Action from Leeds Medics & Dentists v Farnley Sports.
Action from Leeds Medics & Dentists v Farnley Sports.
Have your say

Champions Ealandians were outstanding in their battle with last season’s runners-up Farsley Celtic Juniors and were more than worthy of their 4-3 victory.

James Greenwood was in tremendous form for the victors and notched a first-half hat-trick with the only response from Farsley coming from just before half-time with a left-foot curling shot from Danny Lyons.

Louis Surtees added a second goal for Farsley just after the interval, but the introduction of player/manager Wayne Crossley steadied the ship as he gave Ealandians a 4-2 lead with the late goal for Farsley.

Leeds Medics and Farnley Sports enjoyed a fabulous game played on a faultless playing surface. Either team could have won, but they had to settle for a 1-1 draw.

Medics probably edged the first half and led at half-time thanks to a 25-yard drive from recent acquisition John Forrest.

Farnley were forced to re-organise their formation after a red card with 30 minutes left to play. And they re-doubled their efforts to equalise from a freekick from man of the match Andy Punter that sneaked under the crossbar. Late on Barrie Danby beat three players but his shot smashed against the Medics’ upright.

Alwoodley’s single-goal defeat by Grangefield OB was their second set-back this season, but it was a much-improved display. The winning goal for Grangefield OB – the only side with a 100 per cent Premier Division record – was netted by Andy Kenyon in the 44th minute.

Stanningley OB welcomed the returning James Allen and his four-goal contribution helped see off Rothwell, 8-1.

Stanningley were 2-0 up at half-time as Rothwell battled hard but, after Stanningley notched their third goal, Rothwell’s resistance lowered and Stanningley bounded on to win with further goals from Joe Ward, Brad Sharrocks and Jamie McGeorge (2).

Hosts Rodillian and Wigton Moor drew four apiece in an outstanding game that earned Rods their first point of the campaign.

Wigton took two-goal lead thanks to an in-form Leroy Watson’s first-half double with that lead reduced to a single goal after a Jack Kanyama penalty. Rods added three more goals in quick succession. Midfielder Elliott Walker netted the second with strike partners Charlie Holt and Luke Playford adding a goal each.

Wigton retaliated and Ben Thompson added the third goal with 10 minutes left while Watons completed his hat-trick with two minutes remaining.

After only two matches in the Championship, Beeston St Anthony’s are the only side with a 100 per cent record, their most recent being a 2-0 success at Morley Town. Graham Stockdale hit the Morley bar early on from 30 yards, but it was Tony Garth who gave Beeston a 1-0 half-time lead on 10mins.

In the second half Morley played some eye-catching football but couldn’t deny Garth a 65th-minute clincher from close range.