Yorkshire Amateur League: Amaranth upset odds to thwart holders’ hat-trick hopes

Collingham's Geoff McGovern shoots in the 1-0 home win over Stanningley Reserves. PIC: Steve Riding
Collingham's Geoff McGovern shoots in the 1-0 home win over Stanningley Reserves. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

AMARANTH caused a major upset in the second round of the Terry Marflitt Trophy as a 3-2 verdict sent holders Grangefield Old Boys spinning out of the competition.

Amaranth have lost only one league game but sit seventh in Division One and 25 places below their Premier Division visitors who have won the Terry Marflitt for the last two years.

But goals from Phil Chryssanthou, Isaac Collier plus a Danny Blackburn penalty caused the result of the round with efforts from Tom Hall, Tyler Gill and Luke Hunter not enough for the holders.

Premier Division leaders Farnley Sports eased through with an 8-0 romp at home to bottom of the Championship Shire Academics.

Shane Gaunt hit a hat-trick and Barrie Danby a brace with Lee Ransom beating two men and crashing home an unstoppable shot to go with goals from Curt Lewis and Adam Butterworth.

And Ealandians were even more impressive in an 11-0 cruise at home to at home to Division Four side North Leeds.

James Greenwood, Mark Heppenstall and James Flower all fired braces with Glyn Haley, Dene Heppenstall, Chris Marsh and James Parkinson also netting together with an own goal.

Stanningley Old Boys progressed with a 2-2 victory at home to Gildersome Spurs Old Boys. A James Allen treble plus goals from Andy Shields, Shane Thompson and Tom Stewart sealed the success with a Mike Hall brace failing to save Spurs.

Farsley Celtic Juniors edged through with a 3-2 verdict at Division One leaders Drighlington who led through James Sowden but were 3-1 down by the time sub Noel Hynes rifled home. Skipper Craig Farrand hit a brace for Farsley whose Danny Lyons also notched.

But Trinity & All Saints came a cropper in a 5-2 lost at Wortley whose Joe Hudson hit a brace to go with goals from Luke Chadwick, Danny Purcell and Jordan Hey. Will Coates and an own goal consoled shell shocked Trinity.

Wigton Moor cruised through with a 9-2 verdict at Rodillian with a Said Osman treble and a Tom Siddons brace plus goals from Leroy Watson, Jamie Stead, Ben Thompson and Dave Winkworth.

And in other highlights there was an upset at Division Five side East Ardsley Wanderers who blitzed Championship visitors Leeds Independent 8-3.

Gav Hercules, Dean Wood and Chris Wright struck for Independent but the heroes for East Ardsley were Luke Murfin with a brace plus scorers Shaun Hamill, Henry Moxon, Joe Hill, Bobby Vickers and Dec Idle whop all netted to go wityh an goal.

Elsewhere, Colton Athletic led 1-0 at half time thanks to an early Chris Hicks goal but second half strikes from Liam Tyrer, Jamie Mitchell and Josh Walsh gave Beeston Juniors a 3-1 victory and a tie at Thornesians in the next round. The meeting between Dewsbury Rangers and Thornesians in the Old Boys’ Shield left Thornes writhing in pain after a 7-0 defeat.

Although short of three regulars Thornesians performed much better and led 1-0 at half time. Rangers did go ahead 2-1 before Thornes’ late onslaught. The goals for Dewsbury were notched by Darren Dewick, Rob Smith and sub Chris Worthington. Liam Devlin, James Wootton and man of the match Joe Cook (2) were the Thornes marksmen.

Horsforth St Margaret’s welcome Farsley Celtic Juniors in Round 3 after overpowering Leeds City OB 4-1 although Leeds City took a 1-0 half-time lead through a Dom Taylor spot kick. In a superb second-half display defender Will Harris, Jake Williams (2) and Callum Walker gave Horsforth SM their deserved 4-1 success with Harrison Bolton the Horsforth man of the match.

Old Batelians earned their 2-0 half-time advantage making use of the strong wind with goals from Nathan McDaid and Damon Sandison with Beeston St Anthony’s making a second-half wind-assisted fightback with Graham Stockdale reducing the arrears in the 74th minute and then Graham had a ‘goal’ disallowed but it is 2-1 victors Batelians who will play either Wheelwright OB or Leeds Medics in Round 3.

First Division Bedes felt they had a good chance at beating an inconsistent Morley Town AFC from the Championship.

It was 2-1 at half time with Andrew Scullion and Mark Hayward on target for Bedes with Marc Haley on song for Morley. Aron Johnson levelled matters at 2-2 only for Bedes leading scorer Jordan Northin to net twice to give Bedes an unassailable 4-2 lead that was put at risk with a goal eight minutes from time as Marc Haley doubled his tally for the day to reduce the deficit to 4-3.

Bedes have the unenviable task of visiting Premier Division Farnley in the next round.

Neither Stanningley OB nor Gildersome Spurs OB side were particularly thrilled by their displays but Premier Division Stanningley OB advance to visit Ealandians in round 3 after conquering Division 2 Gildersome Spurs OB 6-2.

In a delayed first-round match, Middleton Park were outclassed by Garforth Rangers 8-1 after a Dale Swatman treble and a Luke Ruiz brace plus goals from, Kean Varley, Phil Clarke, and Paul Phipps.

League round-up

Leeds Medics climbed to second place in the Premier Division after treating Rodillian to a 5-1 defeat, writes Amitai Winehouse.

John Forrest opened the scoring before Steve Mulligan pegged Medics back. However, Medics took the lead again early in the second half, with Forrest turning home a hat-trick and Niall Robinson bagging a brace.

St Nicholas extended their lead at the top of the Championship to four points with a 5-1 victory against potential title challengers Alwoodley Reserves.

Ian McBurney and Mick Hill scored two each, with Johnny Daniels adding one. Nick Smith scored for Alwoodley.

Stanningley OB Reserves fell to a 1-0 loss against Collingham to stay second from bottom. 17-year-old James Kearney scored the solitary goal of the game.

Calverly managed a 3-2 win against sixth-placed Wheelwright OB to climb to the summit of Division One.

Wheelwright led at half-time thanks to goals from Daz Fothergill and Jimmy Waite, but Calverly hit back through Mark Waterhouse, James Beaumont and Rob Nicholson to win.

Medics III drew 3-3 with Grangefield OB Reserves, Fergus Machin, Alex Feben and Nick Maxwell scoring for Medics. Jack Hill struck home twice on his debut for Grangefield, with Sam Russell adding the third.

Farsley Celtic Reserves beat Old Collegians 3-1, their seventh victory from seven games in Division Two.

In other highlights, Division Four saw Horsforth St. Margeret’s Reserves beat Beeston Juniors Reserves 9-2.