Yorkshire Amateur: Doctor’s orders present Medics with double shot

Andy Punter of Farnley Sports beats Rothwell goalkeeper Liam Parker.
Andy Punter of Farnley Sports beats Rothwell goalkeeper Liam Parker.
Have your say

Leeds Medics & Dentists now top both Premier and Championship tables after weekend wins for both their first team and reserve side.

The Medics flag bearers stayed top of the Premier with an 8-0 romp at seventh-placed Trinity Old Boys thanks to braces from John Forrest and Niall Robinson plus strikes from Jack Seccombe, Hugh Goodfield, Dave Evans and an own goal.

Farsley Celtic Juniors remain hot on Medics’ heels and moved second with a 3-1 triumph at home to second-bottom Wigton Moor. Premier Division leading scorer Danny Lyons faced his former team mates and returned to haunt Wigton by scoring a hat-trick which erased the memory of the goal that gave Moor a 1-0 lead.

Elsewhere in the top flight, Stanningley Old Boys moved fourth with a 5-2 verdict at a Grangefield Old Boys side who slipped to sixth. A double from Tom Stewart plus a goal each from captain Jason Carr, James Allen and substitute Brad Francis-White gave Stanningley all three points. Grangefield have now gone three league games without a victory with their goals coming from Tyler Gill and Nick Smith from the spot.

And the top of the Championship mirrors the top of the Premier with unbeaten Leeds Medics Reserves now out in front after Saturday’s 4-1 triumph at home to Morley Town AFC.

Paddy Knight, Sverrir Kristinsson, Alan Slater and Alex Howard all netted for Medics who jumped above St Nicholas whose trip to Old Batelians was postponed.

Eighth-placed Morley had a player sent off in the second half before Marc Gunjal purloining their 82nd-minute consolation.

Beeston St Anthony’s took the bragging rights in the Beeston derby at home to third-placed Beeston Juniors as a 2-1 victory moved them fourth.

Juniors led through Jamie Mitchell but Saints levelled with a 55th-minute own goal and then bagged victory with a shot on the turn from sub Luke Boyes.

Thornesians rose to sixth after a 3-0 win at home to bottom- club Leeds Independent who were undone by a Danny Leech double and Nick Walton strike.

And Stanningley Old Boys Reserves lifted themselves to second bottom with a 3-2 success at home to Shire Academics who dropped below them.

Jake Dailey bagged an 88th-minute winner for Stanningley from the corner following a missed Matty Gerraghty penalty. Gerraghty had earlier scored from the penalty spot for Stanningley whose Bobby Wisher also netted straight from a corner. Chris Godfrey and Jordan Waite notched for Shire.


GIANT-KILLING Rothwell landed an even bigger fish in the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield as a 4-3 victory ended the run of Yorkshire Amateur League title-chasers Farnley Sports.

YAL Division side Rothwell usurped Championship outfit Beeston St Anthony’s on penalties in the first round but caused an even bigger surprise in round two despite going 1-0 down to an Andy Punter strike.

Yet Farnley then collapsed and were 4-1 down at the interval as Rothwell made hay through a George Walker double plus goals from Chris Nock and Ryan Healey.

Shane Gaunt reduced the arrears in the second half but the damage was done and Rothwell will now welcome Yorkshire Amateur League champions Ealandians on January 30.

Holders Ealandians were 3-1 winners at home to plucky Division Two side Churwell Lions thanks to second-half goals from Dene Heppenstall and Mark Heppenstall. Ealandians led through Chris Parker with Andy Megson equalising before half-time.

Wortley blitzed fellow Division One visitors St Bedes 9-0 with a brace from Jordan Hey plus goals from Ash Birdsall, Luke Ingleson, Tom Bailey, Adam Karran, Cody Doyle, Danny Purcell and Liam Heaton booking a trip to Horsforth St Margaret’s in the next round.

Horsforth had an impressive 3-1 victory over Humber Premier First Division side Hull United whose plight was not helped by arriving in West Yorkshire half an hour late.

Horsforth took a 12th-minute lead thanks to a James Price header with further goals added in the second half from a 52nd minute Jake Williams penalty and a 25 yarder from the same player after 65 minutes. This gave Horsforth an unassailable advantage with Will Harris trying to make the game interesting with a late own goal.

Drighlington were 4-1 winners at Dewsbury Rangers who led through Tom Swales but were then undone by a Shane Sowden brace, a Sam Thorpe free kick and a Brett Thompson strike. Drighlington will host North Ferriby Athletic from the Humber Premier League in the quarter-finals.