Women’s/Girls’ Football: Brighouse’s quest for honours picks up pace

Brighouse Town Ladies player of the match Seana Potts.
Brighouse Town Ladies player of the match Seana Potts.
Have your say

Brighouse Town Ladies claimed three massive points in their quest for the North East Regional Womens Football League Premier Division title with Sunday’s 1-0 success at home to York City Ladies.

Town, however, didn’t have it all their own way with York, starting the better of the two sides. The first half was very much all York with Town only able to really test their opponents on the break without causing the keeper too many problems.

The second half started as the first had finished with Town on top and substitute Jess Doyle broke the deadlock midway through the half with a well-taken shot from a tight angle. The game finished in frantic fashion with Town not wanting to drop any points and York pushing for an equaliser.

Town did well to see the remaining time out and secure three points towards promotion to the Women’s Premier League.

Hemsworth Ladies progressed to the quarter finals of the West Riding League Shield with a 5-2 success over Farsley Celtic Ladies. Hemsworth took an early 3-0 lead after goals from Kelsey Stones, Nikki Grayson and Helena Kieley.

Celtic much to their credit hit back with a goal either side of half time, before Kieley took matters into her own hands and added a superb individual brace to complete her hat-trick.

Bradford Park Avenue are through to the next round of the League Shield after their 6-2 victory over Hebden Royd United, thanks to goals from Katie Dormer, Jade Nelson, Molly O’Neill, Sarah Huby, Annie Roberts and an own goal.

In the West Riding Premier Division, Brayton Belles and Hepworth United drew 3-3, whilst in Division One Battyeford Belles Firsts beat Silsden 8-2, thanks to a Sarah Hemingway hat-trick to move top.

Leeds Medics and Dentists moved up to third with a 9-1 victory over Wetherby Athletic Reserves and Republics Internationale beat Oulton Athletic 3-1 to move up to sixth position.

In the League Cup, Altofts beat AFC Gledhow 4-2 and Tingley Athletic Firsts beat Brighouse Town Development 1-0 to progress into the next round.

On the junior girls’ football front, it was a good weekend for both of Brighouse Juniors FC’s Under-11s teams in Division Two of the West Riding Girls League.

The Blues maintained their unbeaten record when earning a very creditable 3-3 draw away to Ilkley.

In a cracking game between two equally matched teams, the Blues took the lead three times through goals from Emily Kilroy, Freya Kikuts and Abi Conway, only to have the home side pull back a goal each time.

There were great performances all round, with particular credit to player-of-the- match Nina Harriott who was solid in defence.

The Yellows, meanwhile, were away at Farsley Celtic where they put last week’s heavy defeat behind them, winning the match 8-0.

There was only ever one team in it but it took the Yellows 20 minutes before they broke the deadlock with a good goal from Mia Harris.

This was shortly followed by one a piece to Phoebe Packard and Kaidy Firth, with the Yellows finishing the first half 3-0 up.

The second half saw the Brighouse side continue in the same manner with Firth claiming her second and then Harris scoring a further four to give her an outstanding five goal tally. But for the brave efforts of the Farsley keeper, the Yellows would certainly have hit double figures.

Elsewhere, Brighouse Juniors Under-16s Girls fell to a 4-0 loss at Castleford White Rose Under-16s.

Brighouse are the only team to beat Castleford in the league this season but couldn’t repeat the feat in the return game.

Despite the defeat, Annabelle Wright looked sharp up front making her seasonal debut for Brighouse with Emily Lovett and Tiegan Rowley running the wings well.

Brooke Whitworth and Phoebe Durkin shared the Brighouse player of the match award.


Brighouse JUNIORS B Under-13s exited the Huddersfield RCD Junior Football League Plate Trophy after LS27 Under-13s recorded a 6-2 to victory to exact some revenge.

For the visitors, the triumph settled the score of a cup defeat to Brighouse in a different competition earlier on in the season.

LS27, who play two divisions above Brighouse, arrived in determined mood and dominated the pace of the match from the off.

They were first to every loose ball and each time Brighouse won the ball they were closed down instantly.

Brighouse were grateful to centre-half George Delahunty as, throughout the first half, he made seven or eight covering tackles to deny LS27. Behind him, in goal, Joseph Moore pulled off four good saves to keep Brighouse in the game.

But with 10 minutes of the half left it was a defensive error that gave the LS27 forward his easiest opportunity of the season as he tapped in unchallenged from six yards out.

The second half saw Brighouse push forward, and within minutes they were level through a fine finish from Jamie McCrink.

Brighouse, though, were unable to build on this and again it was LS27 dictating play.

They thought they had regained the lead within five minutes but the goal was disallowed for offside.

This, though, spurred them on in the space of the next five minutes they scored twice to make it 3-1.

Brighouse then went down the other end and McCrink saw his shot deflected past the keeper to make it 3-2 to the visitors.

The effort was McCrink’s 37th goal this season.

Yet as Brighouse pushed for a late equaliser they fell victim to three classic counter attacks to bow out of the cup.