Win lifts Park off bottom of the table

Horbury Town's Gibril Bojang
Horbury Town's Gibril Bojang
Have your say

East End Park secured just their third victory of the West Yorkshire Premier League season last weekend, and in doing so lifted themselves off the foot of the table

Liam Clark was the match-winner in a 1-0 victory against out-of-form Brighouse Old Boys, who have taken just one point from their last six games.

East End on the other hand have won two in a row, after losing 13 of their opening 14 fixtures.

Elsewhere, Horbury Town moved into the top four after their 2-0 victory away at Hunslet Club.

Tristan Cost and Tom Dews scored either side of half-time as Horbury claimed their fourth win in six.

The other top-flight game of the week saw Wetherby Athletic overcome Shelley in an entertaining 4-2 thriller.

Jack Emmett, Jonathon Hadley and Charlie Yates scored first-half goals for the home side, before Edmore Murau scored in stoppage time to clinch the points.

Thornhill lost ground in Division One, as they were held to a 2-2 draw at home by Old Modernians.

Lee Brook and Aiden Schofield scored the goals for Thornhill, but they were pegged back by Modernians’ James Kent and Ben Turner, meaning that although Thornhill remain top, both Pool and Carlton Athletic are just one point behind, and both have games in hand.

Pool are perhaps best placed to capitalise, after their 4-1 win against Featherstone Colliery moved them into second with three games in hand on the league leaders.

Thomas Fleming was the catalyst for Pool’s comfortable victory as he scored a hat-trick, with Grant Bligh also scoring.

Stanley United blew Kippax away with a stunning first-half performance, entering the break at 3-0, despite Kippax holding home advantage.

Ashley Munton’s double was added to by Stuart Davies and a second-half goal by Matthew Williamson, and even though Kippax pulled two back, Stanley held on to claim all three points in a 4-2 win.

Swillington Saints finally secured their first victory of the season, narrowly overcoming Wyke Wanderers with a 1-0 victory.

In Division Two, Hartshead moved six points clear at the top of the table courtesy of a 4-2 triumph over Ossett Common Rovers.

Jamie Wasley, Owan Asquith and Liam Gowan all got on the scoresheet as the home-side secured a comfortable victory.

Fryston’s Liam Cooper scored a hat-trick in vain, as he scored all of his team’s goals in a 4-3 loss against Kellingley Welfare.

First-half goals from Abishaia Blair and Richard Longbottom were enough to ease Yorkshire Amateur to a 2-0 win over strugglnig Middleton Park, whilst Barwick beat Normanton Woodhouse Hill 3-1. In the Alliance Division One, Elliot Fris, Peter Kuleczko and Paul Taylor were on the scoresheet as Brighouse Old Boys Reserves won 3-1 at Headingley AFC Reserves.

Elsewhere there were 2-2 draws in the fixtures between Ilkley Town Reserves and Robin Hood Athletic Reserves, and Whitkirk Wanderers Reserves and Fields Reserves.

A total of 33 goals were scored in four matches in Alliance Division Two, as some serious thrashings were handed out.

Baildon Trinity Athletic Reserves beat Wakefield side Hall Green United Reserves 10-0, Daniel Edmunds scored four as Ripon City Reserves won 8-1 against Barwick Reserves and Jacob Clarke achieved the same feat in Pool Reserves’ 6-1 win against rivals Rothwell Town Reserves.