West Yorkshire: Tense win keeps City on course for double

Andrew Griffiths scores for Pool past Howden Clough goalkeeper Andrew Gaine. PIC: Steve Riding
Andrew Griffiths scores for Pool past Howden Clough goalkeeper Andrew Gaine. PIC: Steve Riding
Have your say

Leeds City kept their double dream alive with a tense 1-0 victory after extra time at rival title contenders Horbury Town in the League Cup last 16.

Substitute Alex Miller bagged a 102nd-minute winner for City to book a quarter-final at home to Sherburn White Rose, and big guns Beeston St Anthony’s and Bardsey are already out.

League champions Bardsey kept up their chase of Premier Division leaders Field with a 6-1 win at home to Brighouse Old Boys, Daniel Maw netted a brace to complement strikes from Mathew James, Nicky Seed, Charles Stephens and Mike Toney as Richard Heins struck for Brighouse.

Field strengthened their title claim with a resounding 5-0 victory at home to East End Park. Daniel Cunningham grabbed four of those five and Joshua Miller also struck.

Beeston St Anthony’s maintained their title push with a 1-0 win at Wetherby Athletic that finished 10-a-side. Beeston’s Matthew Jackson missed an open goal from six yards after which a late lunge from a Wetherby player led to a melee resulting in red cards for Athletic’s Jonathan Richards and Beeston’s Joe Hill. Saints eventually settled the tie thanks to Daniel Thackray’s second half winner.

Knaresborough Town took a point from title-chasing hosts Oxenhope Recreation with a 2-2 draw. Liam McNicol and Daniel Moriarty grabbed the goals for Oxenhope who finished the game with nine men after McNicol and Scott Nelson were sent off. Ben Lock was among the Boro’ scorers.

Hunslet Club finished with 10 men in a 2-2 draw at bottom club Ripon City. Ripon goals from James McDaid and Philip Myles were cancelled out by strikes from Jonathan Grayston and Danny Walker and Hunslet held on for the point despite Ben Abel being dismissed.

Hosts Robin Hood Athletic and Otley Town took a point apiece in a 1-1 draw, with Daniel Bridges’ strike not enough to arrow Robin Hood to victory. Shelley hit second bottom Boroughbridge for six without reply. Allan Greenwood struck a brace and so did substitute Ashley Vickers, to add to goals from Liam Berry and Jack Greene.

Runaway Division One leaders Pool continued their ruthless streak as a 4-1 win at second-bottom Howden Clough sent them eight points clear.

Daniel Broadbent scored for Howden but a Thomas Fleming hat-trick and a Jordan Wagstaff goal strengthened Pool’s grip on the title. Second-placed Carlton Athletic were held to a goalless draw at third-placed Wyke Wanderers

Fifth-placed Ilkley Town hosted a 3-3 draw with fourth-placed Thornhill.

Daniel Munday grabbed a brace for Ilkley whose Adam Fowler also scored but Lee Brook, Jamie Ingham and Anees Younis ensured Thornhill shared the spoils.

Sixth-placed Stanley United are well poised with games in hand after a 3-0 win at Swillington Saints.

Division Two was lit up by an amazing 12 goal thriller that saw hosts Kellingley Welfare beat league leaders Hartshead 7-5. Matthew Biddle and Jamie Wasley braces complemented a strike from Owen Asquith for Hartshead but Craig Fradgley and Robert Anderson hat-tricks as well as a Michael Dunn goal gave Kellingley the points. Second placed Baildon Trinity Athletic failed to completely capitalise and were held 1-1 away at Garforth Rangers.